Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think pure point count is the only way to evaluate this. IIRC the missions also give you extra powers of various sorts. It is these extra powers that, I think, will bias things toward the missions over the coat-of-arms strategy.

Of course, the flip side is competition -- if you can get a COA for cheaper in the investment of placing influence, then it is probably well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience you can't ignore the missions but as you have found you can rely on them slightly less than others if there is fierce competition for the mission chips and crowns. I have won several games where I had less missions at the end of the game than the other players but more than made up for it with shields. It is all about getting the most bang for the influence markers you spend.

Having said that missions completed in the first couple of rounds are very valuable as you get the mission benefit for several rounds as well as the 5VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm joining in on an old conversation here, but there is surprisingly little in the Strategy forum for this game.

In a 4-player game I played over the weekend, final scores were 47, 42, 40, and 37. The winner had completed 7 missions and accumulated 12 coats of arms. Second place, 6 missions and 12 coats of arms. Third, 4 missions, 20 coats of arms. And, fourth, 5 missions and 12 coats of arms. It seemed that the one player went heavy in the pursuit of COA because there was such a battle over those locations that offered the mission chips. In sacrificing those mission chips, however, he also gave up those 5-point mission cards which seem to be, in my admittedly limited experience, the key to winning.

I like this game quite a bit. It's uniqueness amongst games, even after all these years, keeps it securely in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.