9 Posts

Wilderness War» Forums » General

Subject: difficulty and solo??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot Harrison

California
msg tools
i guess one question begets another. is this game hard to learn and play, ie, is it somewhat light to medium? because if it's not, and it's quite complex, i won't be able to get my gamer friends to play...therefore...
soblue
has anyone played this solo? i love the subject matter and the leader based system. thanks mucho...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing solo to learn mechanics is probably fine, but as a game you'd need Alzheimer's to play solo probably. It is a CDG after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo is okay for a session for two to learn the rules. I guess it depends on what your friends consider to be a heavy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would classify the difficulty as medium (barely.) There are about 12 pages of rules. (plus advanced and optional).

I couldn't imagine playing it solitaire since it is a CDG. I guess some people do that though. To learn the game I think solitaire is perfect. This is a great British play-aid (there is a french one too);
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/20364

WW is an especially great game if you have interest in, or wish to just grok, this particular war. I did not know much about this conflict but after playing the game a few times I have a much richer understanding.

It also prompted me to get an audio book (The War that Made America) and a book on the subject (Crucible of War).

Finally, It plays very well on ACTS. So you don't have to play solitaire. (I use Vassal/Acts and have a game going on right now actually.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb
It is light to medium for a wargame, but not really fun solo.

One of the best parts of the game is bluffing your opponent as to what your intentions are. He is never sure what you are capable of because he does not know what cards you have.

It is a 10.

We can play 1 and sometimes 2 games of the Annus Mirabilis Scenario in one 4 hour evening.

I have also played the 1755 game on ACTS and it is as much or more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Harrison

California
msg tools
thanks for the great response. i can see where it would be difficult to play solo.

i apologize in advance for my ignorance to the nomenclature used here...but what is ACTS?
artificial controlled tournament system?
action card training series
automated combat turn system
ambivalent course training sonnet
advanced combat turn....ok, i give up.

thanks again for the replies. i was surprised there were sveral replies already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACTS: Automated Card Tracking System. Handy for playing CDGs PBEM, but you have to keep track of the board positions some other way (VASSAL, Cyberboard, have the actual board physically setup somewhere). It's free at http://acts.warhorsesim.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy it solo (try to play the best card each time for each side). Difficulty: Medium (harder than Hannibal, easier than Paths of Glory).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Townsend

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me point out that for those who are into this period or want to grok it, "Crucible of War" by Fred Anderson is an excellent book covering this theater, as Bartow Riggs points out.

BTW: lol: "ambivalent course training sonnet"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.