Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll follows on from the Quarter Finals and Quick Best & Worst Polls

224 users voted in the Quarter Finals, casting 5085 votes (ratings).

The Top 4 films were selected out of each Quarter Final. Q1 and Q4 are now merged and Q2 & Q3 are merged.

All four Quarters were roughly equal in strength, Q1 being marginally the weakest, Q3 & Q4 strongest.

The near misses (only just eliminated) films were:

Full Metal Jacket
Downfall
Cross of Iron
Ran
Schindler's List
Stalingrad
Paths of Glory

So, onto the semis. As with previous polls please rate only 1 film as "Best" in each semi-final. The recommended way to do this is not to use it at all, select your "Awesomes" and then upgrade one of them to "Best".

Poll: Semi Final of the Best War Movies
1. Semi Final 1: Getting tough now. How do you rate these films?
  Best Awesome Great Good Okay Bad
Band of Brothers (series)
The Great Escape
The Longest Day
A Bridge Too Far
Seven Samurai
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Gettysburg (extended)
Glory
2. Semi Final 2
  Best Awesome Great Good Okay Bad
Das Boot
Saving Private Ryan
Patton
Apocalypse Now
Zulu
Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Tora, Tora, Tora
      403 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

Some people have said that Band of Brothers should not have been in this contest as a series has an unfair advantage in terms of the depth of story it can provide. There were several other series in the contest but they have fallen by the wayside.

Poll
Should Band of Brothers have been in a War Films contest?
Yes
No
Not sure
      366 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes my little heart glad to see Seven Samurai holding its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:

And no, I still don't think Band of Brothers belongs in the poll.

If you did not put in Hogans Hero's or Desert Rats then ..............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It is very hard to choose between the subgenres of "war is hell" and "we love our heroes" in the war movie category. Generally, I prefer the "war is hell" variety, but there are some fine treatments of the other side.

And I am sad to see Big Red One is not still on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is Enemy at the Gates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amishburrito wrote:

Fell to machine guns at the bracket stage. It was in position #78 at that stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I think it should be pretty clear that Band of Brothers should not be in the running. It's not a movie. Either this is a competition for movies or for a more broadly defined popular war subject treatments. Why aren't some of the really great war series done by the History Channel on here? Because they are documentaries and not fictionalized histories?

But this is a pretty whiny complaint really. It's on the list and headed for a win now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amishburrito wrote:

Do you mean the movie that portrayed DAYLIGHT Soviet troops ferrying across the Volga?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Some people have said that Band of Brothers should not have been in this contest as a series has an unfair advantage in terms of the depth of story it can provide. There were several other series in the contest but they have fallen by the wayside.
I'd say that being such a long and tedious affair means it had a bigger hurdle to cross than a simple feature length motion picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
1000rpm wrote:
I'd say that being such a long and tedious affair means it had a bigger hurdle to cross than a simple feature length motion picture.

I would say there are 5 or 6 episodes in BoB that, taken in pairs so as to match the timeframe for a feature-length film, and observed without the context of the rest of the series, would still rate damn high in this poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
amishburrito wrote:

Do you mean the movie that portrayed DAYLIGHT Soviet troops ferrying across the Volga?

shake

or fat little cockney bob hoskins as khrushchev?

or big wet pansy law as a sniper?

terrible film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

band of brothers is like a wargame, a long event to savour, rather than the movie equivalent of euro game junk food for butterfly brained types. OH LOOK, A CUBE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All films are subjective, I know. However, the remaining films on this list are all rather good. I am trying to figure out how some of them are being voted as bad.

How is BoB a bad view? Or Glory? or Toar! Tora! Tora!? Patton? Zulu? Maybe they are not great in your mind, maybe they have a flaw here or there but bad? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
nicktaruffi wrote:
amishburrito wrote:

shake

or fat little cockney bob hoskins as khrushchev?

or big wet pansy law as a sniper?

terrible film.

You know, I just saw a photo the other day, in a book about the Eastern Front, where supplies and troops were being hauled over the Volga in daylight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
1000rpm wrote:

I was going to say that being boring was the biggest challenge Band had to overcome, but Randy beat me to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really can not understand how that festering pile of (bleep) Patton is still in this. That thing is almost as bad as Bulge or a Mel Gibson war flick. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're all blowing off steam at some of the remaining contenders...

Saving Private Ryan? Really?? After those memorable first 30 minutes it's a steep decline into utter mediocrity. Bleh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
. . . band of brothers is like a wargame, a long event to savour, rather than the movie equivalent of euro game junk food for butterfly brained types. OH LOOK, A CUBE!

You mean Band of Brothers comes with 2 pages of errata to savour?

As one of the 'butterfly brained types' who's watched some 140-plus war movies, I think the question is legitimate regarding the series' eligibility. It is certainly one of the great war dramatizations of all time (I've watched the entire series 4 times, and some episodes even more), but it says so much more in 10 episodes than a single movie has room for. If Band of Brothers was boiled down to 2.5 or even 3 hours, how much of the impact would be lost? How would it compare to, say, All Quiet on the Western Front?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

band of brothers is like a wargame, a long event to savour, rather than the movie equivalent of euro game junk food for butterfly brained types. OH LOOK, A CUBE!

What about Das Boot? There's a 2 1/2 hour version, a 3 1/2 hour version, an almost 5 hour version, and a 5 1/2 hour version.

What other war mini-series or long war movies could compete with these two? Gone with the Wind is almost 4 hours, but it's really the girls' war movie. The Blue and the Gray and North and South mini-series also covered the American Civil War in a similar fashion. There's also Ken Burns' The Civil War and The War, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mizuno
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
Eldard wrote:
You mean Band of Brothers comes with 2 pages of errata to savour? :D

Now that you've mentioned it...I think you could fill a page or two by correcting the inconsistencies(mostly historical). It's still a very entertaining series even if some of the facts aren't accurate.

There were several points of absolute incredulity for me. I watched it with my brother, who immediately, after the confrontation with the German at the radar station / machine gun nest, said... "No way I let the BAR guy walk!"

And I know, these are elite troops - Rangers and some airborne - but besides the translator, who does grow a pair at the end, NONE of them cower at any point. Including the MEDIC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eleven days ago I started this with the question of what was your favorite war movie. I am astonished at all the outstanding movie titles that have come up. Most I've seen and would agree with their belonging on a list of the best. Others I've not seen, but now want to. A small few I've seen and wasn't that impressed with.

But I'm not sure this poll really does the list justice. Some of the preliminary polls pitted movies against each other in such a manner that many movies wound up eliminated and others wound up in the finals that were maybe not as good.

I'm fascinated by some of the results of my original thread but I can't bring myself to vote in this poll. I just think too many better movies should have been in the finals.

And for the record I loved Band of Brothers, but it should have never been in the final poll. It is not a movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're going to be showing the top movies from this at BGG.Con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There can be only one Boat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
soltan gris wrote:
Maksimov wrote:
Eldard wrote:
You mean Band of Brothers comes with 2 pages of errata to savour?

Now that you've mentioned it...I think you could fill a page or two by correcting the inconsistencies(mostly historical). It's still a very entertaining series even if some of the facts aren't accurate.

There were several points of absolute incredulity for me. I watched it with my brother, who immediately, after the confrontation with the German at the radar station / machine gun nest, said... "No way I let the BAR guy walk!"

And I know, these are elite troops - Rangers and some airborne - but besides the translator, who does grow a pair at the end, NONE of them cower at any point. Including the MEDIC!

You're thinking of Saving Private Ryan, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
soltan gris wrote:

Not that your point still isn't valid, but, as I recall, Pvt. Ryan is cowering at the end of the battle.

Also, I have often thought that the movie would have been better if the translator did NOT get "brave" at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.