Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having seen several pictures of the wonderful Moai statues on Easter Island, I had always assumed they faced out toward the ocean. However, after reading the rules to Giants, it seems the Moai were always situated such that they faced in toward the center of the island. Then I found this picture,
which again seems to show the statues facing the beach/ocean, but the perspective may be misleading.

Can anyone point to a source which definitively answers the question: Do Moai face in (island center) or out (ocean)?

Not that it matters to play the game, but inquiring minds want to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the moai erect on Easter were re-erected in modern times. Someone may have put some up backward

Collapse, by Jared Diamond, which contains an extensive discussion of the causes for the collapse of Easter Island society, states that all the moai faced inland when they were erected. (Collapse is recommended reading, by the way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool - and thanks for the book reference. I will seek it out.

I propose all pictures of the game Giants should depict the Moai facing inward. We don't want to spread historical inaccuracies, now do we? Of course, you could claim a rival tribe came along later and re-faced your Moai. I wouldn't put it past them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.