Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pandemic: On the Brink» Forums » General

Subject: Component matching? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there are two very different printings of Pandemic floating around, and it looks like the new expansion will mix new cards with the old pretty freely. I presume that the cards will look more like the more recent printing? Any thoughts on how well they will mix with the first printing cards?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
So, there are two very different printings of Pandemic floating around, and it looks like the new expansion will mix new cards with the old pretty freely. I presume that the cards will look more like the more recent printing? Any thoughts on how well they will mix with the first printing cards?

I recall reading somewhere, maybe at Boardgamenews.com, that the expansion was going to include at least a new player deck if not both decks. It's been a while and I don't have the time to search for it. Maybe someone else will be able to respond?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who owns the first printing, how different are the cards from the later printings? Is the difference noticeable?

I also heard that the expansion comes with a complete set of cards from the original game so that there isn't a difference in cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in the later printings have a linen finish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
The cards in the later printings have a linen finish.


To include a full deck in the expansion to handle the fraction of owners of the first edition would increase the price too much: which would be unfair to everyone.

So, we are going to offer a trade-in for those first printers. You need to send me your old Operation Expert role card and I will send you a whole new deck of base cards to match the cards in the expansion. (Note: since there is a revised OpEx card in the expansion you are not losing any role.)

There will be no cost for this trade in save the postage to send one card to me.

We felt this was the best way to handle the situation - I hope you all agree.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, inc.
64 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
The cards in the later printings have a linen finish.


To include a full deck in the expansion to handle the fraction of owners of the first edition would increase the price too much: which would be unfair to everyone.

So, we are going to offer a trade-in for those first printers. You need to send me your old Operation Expert role card and I will send you a whole new deck of base cards to match the cards in the expansion. (Note: since there is a revised OpEx card in the expansion you are not losing any role.)

There will be no cost for this trade in save the postage to send one card to me.

We felt this was the best way to handle the situation - I hope you all agree.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, inc.


Zev is as always, awesome.

How do we identify if we have first or second printing? I noticed my board doesn't have the 'undiscovered cures go here' box, so suspect I'm in the early adopter set.

Any chance you'll have copies at upcoming conventions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh, after 15 plays, I haven't noticed any wear with my cards, but I always support higher quality cards. Thanks for making the exchange offer Zev, that seems like a good solution. I hope this gets publicized to existing 1st edition Pandemic owners.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quartex wrote:
Gosh, after 15 plays, I haven't noticed any wear with my cards, but I always support higher quality cards. Thanks for making the exchange offer Zev, that seems like a good solution. I hope this gets publicized to existing 1st edition Pandemic owners.


Note, it is not because of card quality (I actually like the 1st edition quality) it is because the first printings have no linen to the cards - only gloss. So mixing the expansion cards will, in effect, mark the cards (though from afar it may be hard to tell the two types of cards apart).

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I noticed my board doesn't have the 'undiscovered cures go here' box, so suspect I'm in the early adopter set.



Interesting, I thought I had the most recent printing, but that box sounds unfamiliar. Could you link to an image that shows it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really awesome, and even more than I expected. That seems like a great solution for the customers, and hopefully not one that's too expensive for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:

So, we are going to offer a trade-in for those first printers. You need to send me your old Operation Expert role card and I will send you a whole new deck of base cards to match the cards in the expansion. (Note: since there is a revised OpEx card in the expansion you are not losing any role.)



When can we start sending in the card for the switch? I think many of us like to having our new "component matching" cards already before the expansion hits the store shelves, so we will be ready to play on day one.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
So, we are going to offer a trade-in for those first printers. You need to send me your old Operation Expert role card and I will send you a whole new deck of base cards to match the cards in the expansion. (Note: since there is a revised OpEx card in the expansion you are not losing any role.)

So smooth cards are 1st printing? Is there a special address to send for this upgrade, and when can we do this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I do have some extra sets of cards available so you can start sending it now. Please send the Operation Expert card only (and only if it is the smooth card not the linen-coated) to 6 Alan Drive, Mahopac, NY 10541. Make sure I have your return address and it is legible.

Also, I will try to get to trades soon after I get them but if I get swamped then expect some delay.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
NOTE TO FIRST EDITION PANDEMIC OWNERS: If your cards are gloss with no linen finish then you have a first printing (Feb-April 2008). We are offering a trade in so that your cards will match the newer printings which have a linen finish. Starting today, you may send us a copy of your 1st printing Operation Expert role card and I will send you a complete set of Infection and Player cards with a linen finish. Don't worry about losing your OpEx card - we have revised this role in this expansion. Please send the card to the address in the contact us page. Make sure your address is legible. Please allow some time to process requests.


Will losing the OpEx card be a problem for those of us who want the option to play with both the old and new role rules?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will we be getting new Role cards as well ? I ask because if the old role cards don't match the new ones - we know when randomily choosing a role.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) you will also get the role cards.

2) the new OpEx's first ability is the same as the old one but he has an additional ability. So if you wish to play old school, ignore the second ability.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.



pdclose wrote:
Zman wrote:
NOTE TO FIRST EDITION PANDEMIC OWNERS: If your cards are gloss with no linen finish then you have a first printing (Feb-April 2008). We are offering a trade in so that your cards will match the newer printings which have a linen finish. Starting today, you may send us a copy of your 1st printing Operation Expert role card and I will send you a complete set of Infection and Player cards with a linen finish. Don't worry about losing your OpEx card - we have revised this role in this expansion. Please send the card to the address in the contact us page. Make sure your address is legible. Please allow some time to process requests.


Will losing the OpEx card be a problem for those of us who want the option to play with both the old and new role rules?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent posts Zev, I'm going to check my cards when I get a chance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always assumed that I had a 2nd printing, as I have (so far) had no problem with the board warping, and my pawns differ in colour to a set owned by someone who I believe to own the 1st printing.

But now I read talk of the 2nd printing having 'square' rather than 'rectangle' research stations (I have the latter).

Are there actually more than 2 distinct printings?

Is there a definitive (and easy) way of determining what version you have? (I could get my cards out but don't have a comparison to determine glossiness)

But the big question is, if it turns out I have 1st printing or at least the wrong type of cards, is this replacement cards offer open to those outside the US?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The offer is good anywhere.

Don't go by the size of the research stations. Just consider your cards. If they are smooth and glossy then it needs replacing. If you can see/feel the linen pattern, you are fine.

And while I don't need to say this to everyone I will: if you do not plan on buying the expansion, then you needn't worry about replacing your cards.

Zev

firewizard wrote:
I've always assumed that I had a 2nd printing, as I have (so far) had no problem with the board warping, and my pawns differ in colour to a set owned by someone who I believe to own the 1st printing.

But now I read talk of the 2nd printing having 'square' rather than 'rectangle' research stations (I have the latter).

Are there actually more than 2 distinct printings?

Is there a definitive (and easy) way of determining what version you have? (I could get my cards out but don't have a comparison to determine glossiness)

But the big question is, if it turns out I have 1st printing or at least the wrong type of cards, is this replacement cards offer open to those outside the US?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Esau
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
1) you will also get the role cards.


Well, I don't know about anyone else, but that was the only concern I had. I'm sure most of us can remember what the OpEx does in the meantime and it isn't that hard to come up with a way to distribute roles other than drawing the cards...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
The offer is good anywhere.

Don't go by the size of the research stations. Just consider your cards. If they are smooth and glossy then it needs replacing. If you can see/feel the linen pattern, you are fine.



Thanks for this Zev - the card is in the mail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zev,

You are consistently one of the most responsive publishers out there. Your commitment to us is why I continually buy games from your company (that, and the quality of the catalog itself), despite assurances to my fiancee that my game collection is quite complete.

As long as we have you on the line, as it were, my Pandemic board has taken on a rather intense warp, and nothing seems to fix the problem; even my heaviest books are as nothing against its bending prowess.

Is there a special flattening technique, or a way to get a new board that will lie flat? I seem to recall reading about replacements finding their way to people somewhere, but I wanted to get it from the proverbial horse's mouth.

As I intend to purchase the expansion once it comes out (and therefore will be taking advantage of the generous card replacement offer as well) if this is something you'd mail I'd be perfectly happy to wait so they can be shipped together.

Thanks!

- Isaiah
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple questions:

a) Would sleeving the cards fix the problem? While I'm all for getting all cards to look the same, it's pretty expensive here to send a card overseas. Plus, in order to play in the interim if/when I send, I would need to do something.

a2) Any way of getting the new cards without having to send? Though I know this is a redemption program, so to speak, and you don't want people that doesn't have the game to have the cards, it would be nice to prove in some way that I own the game and I'm not using cards for a pirate copy or anything, without needing a post sending. (See: Expensive)

b) Does the replacement include an old Operations Expert? Though I know you can houserule the second ability is not there, My completist gene is rubbed the wrong way if I don't actually have the old Operations Expert card, even if I end up not using it at the end.

Thanks for your answers and your games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
The cards in the later printings have a linen finish.


To include a full deck in the expansion to handle the fraction of owners of the first edition would increase the price too much: which would be unfair to everyone.

So, we are going to offer a trade-in for those first printers. You need to send me your old Operation Expert role card and I will send you a whole new deck of base cards to match the cards in the expansion. (Note: since there is a revised OpEx card in the expansion you are not losing any role.)

There will be no cost for this trade in save the postage to send one card to me.

We felt this was the best way to handle the situation - I hope you all agree.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, inc.


Zev,

I consider this to be quite a phenomenal offer on the part of Z-Man Games. You really are to be commended.

The only drawback I see is that, once I send the 1st printing OpEx card to you, I will not be able to play Pandemic again until you are able to ship the replacement cards.

Thanks again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Zman wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
The cards in the later printings have a linen finish.


To include a full deck in the expansion to handle the fraction of owners of the first edition would increase the price too much: which would be unfair to everyone.

So, we are going to offer a trade-in for those first printers. You need to send me your old Operation Expert role card and I will send you a whole new deck of base cards to match the cards in the expansion. (Note: since there is a revised OpEx card in the expansion you are not losing any role.)

There will be no cost for this trade in save the postage to send one card to me.

We felt this was the best way to handle the situation - I hope you all agree.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, inc.


Zev,

I consider this to be quite a phenomenal offer on the part of Z-Man Games. You really are to be commended.

The only drawback I see is that, once I send the 1st printing OpEx card to you, I will not be able to play Pandemic again until you are able to ship the replacement cards.

Thanks again.

Meh. Nobody likes OpEx anyways. Anyways, Zev, you are the greatest. I expect to have my card in the mail today, and I am definitely looking forward to the new expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.