Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've played TS about 4 times now, and until the last game, I adored it.

This last game ended rather abruptly with me as the US-ians, in a prime position being forced to blow up the world against my will.

Now, I've seen this happen before, and my beef isn't with that. All well and good, after a few times of "randomly drawing a card from your opponent's hand," "playing the event" and making the defcon go to 1, you'd get it that you shouldn't randomly play events from your opponent's hand during defon 2.

My beef is solely with the card "Duck and Cover." Sorry if this has been writ about a number of times, but quick search yields nothing. I should explain what happened:

Simply put, he (USSR) played Duck and Cover for the points and defcon was at 2. This triggered the US event which says something along the lines of "Degrade the defcon 1 level and US gains a meager amount of VP's"

Thusly, the game ended.

The way I interpreted that was, "If the USSR player EVER gets the card "Duck and Cover" into his hand, he will win the game, simply by coup-ing in battlegrounds until it hits DC2, and then he will play D&C for the win...

Questions:
Have I been playing this wrong?
If not, broken or not?
Has anyone else noticied this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stai

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do believe that the player that played the card, regardless of who the event belongs to, is the one that triggers nuclear war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the USSR plays Duck & Cover while the DEFCON is at 2, he loses. It doesn't matter what the event is, the only determining factor in who loses when the DEFCON goes to 1 is who the phasing player is. The Soviet played the card, therefore they caused DEFCON 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah... Thank you for the quick reply; so I was playing this wrong.

I was focusing on the fact that the rules say "the opponent takes the event as though he played the card" or something along those lines, so I wasn't sure.

Damn, and I prolly could have won that game! lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

With the card as played...you did!

Opponent's events in your hand that can lower DEFCON (even by a choice of your opponent c.f. CIA/Lone Gunman) can be a blessing (if your opponent plays 5YP or Missile Envy and makes them happen) or a curse (you will often not be able to play them, especially in the Mid War thus tying up your space options), but more often a curse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, this is a general rule that always applies: it DEFCON degrades to 1 in your turn, no matter how it happened, too bad... YOU LOOSE devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
Quote:

With the card as played...you did!

Opponent's events in your hand that can lower DEFCON (even by a choice of your opponent c.f. CIA/Lone Gunman) can be a blessing (if your opponent plays 5YP or Missile Envy and makes them happen) or a curse (you will often not be able to play them, especially in the Mid War thus tying up your space options), but more often a curse...

Alas, had we been playing right, he would have had the ability to hang onto that card 'til next round and then dump it in the space race or something, since the other cards in his hand were less detrimental...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.