Subject: Military cartography/NATO tactical maps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Krause
United States
patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
I can think of no other forum to ask this in, so here goes, even though it isn't exactly about a wargame:

I want to make tactical/NATO war maps for a realism gaming group im in, like the ones you see on wikipedia articles showing how battles progressed. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Map_of_dn...

Looking to create tactical maps at a battalion and below level and was wondering if anyone know any programs, had any information etc

I have searched google and can't find anything helpful.

Also, what font do all the war maps use? ITs the same in all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems. - HS
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchased some topographical maps from the US Geologic Survey (www.usgs.gov) in the past. And in fact there are some pretty interesting ones from NIMA that you can buy - see http://egsc.usgs.gov/nimamaps/topo.html#toc. These maps are pretty well priced and include some areas like the middle east, africa, vietnam, etc. I ordered several of the Vietnam ones to add some realism to a Recon game I ran. I'm not sure is this is the type of thing you are looking for, but it an easy way to create a new level of detail for your maps. Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Omnimap.com has a ton of different types of maps available. They even have Russian maps of the west for the Cold War era, although they are very pricey.

I bought two maps of Germany, which included parts of Poland, Austria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Belgium, and the Netherlands from them. The scale is 1:500,000. The maps are for use in flying so they have a lot of information marked on them. I'm sure, if you have a good scanner, you could scan in parts of the maps and then blow them up to make a map for use with battalion size units.

You could then use Milsketch to print out the units locations and such.

The two maps I bought cost me $12 a piece, and the maps are about 4' x 4' across.

Hope that helps.

Dan Stueber
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the free program "Milsketch"

http://www.historicalsoftware.com/HSC/HSCmilsketch.htm

Ah, I see Dan beat me to it by only a couple of hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krause
United States
patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
Thank you guys so much - Milsketch is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.