Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had two nights in a row with much less sleep than I'd like to have. The culprit? A book.

There are books I like, there are books I can't for the life of me finish, because they are so boring. There are books that I admire, but don't really love.

And there are books that captivate me. Absorb me into a world of their own. I'll list a few books that did this to me:

O. S. Card: Ender's Game
J. K. Rowling: Harry Potter (especially the last books)
J. A. Tiptree: Brightness Falls from the Air
S. Donaldson: The Gap Series (book 3 and following, though you need books 1 and 2 to "get" the series)

There have been more, but time distorts the memory, and I'm not sure about them.

What are yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird, I can remember staying up all night to read books because I liked them so much I couldn't stand not to read them, and I remember thinking on and on about books I really liked...but now I can't recall which books moved me that much! It's always depressing to forget things that were so important to me at one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am captivated by all books because I absolutely LOVE to read.

However, very few books have kept me up all night!!

I have just a couple:

The Harry Potter series which I read as they were published starting with Book 5. The same for Mystery Bob. There just seemed to be a point in each novel where you just had to see what was going to happen!!

My first reading of Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I had the book with me at work (whew, over 20 years ago) and kept sneaking reads of it (the 1st and only time I've ever read a book at work!!). I later had to read it for grad school and one more time reread it for pleasure. I only found it captivating the first time!

Those are the only ones so far!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Hugo's Les Miserables and Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Anything from Michael Crichton.

The Dark Tower series from Stephen King (especially volume four) also, the Green Mile and his short stories.

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card.

The first half-dozen or so Wheel of Time books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet (although I feel it grew weak at the end). I've never laughed out loud so much while reading a book.

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami - Woah geeze this book rocked, 42 ninth grade students dropped on an island and ordered to kill each other; a story about how each student handles the situation (and some great action), and one of the greatest antagonists I've seen written. Even at 600+ pages, I knocked this one out in a few days.

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell - I started with Animal farm, read it in a day, then immediately pickedup 1984. Made me pissed at "the man" for a few days; some great thought provoking material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I remembered one! And we just talked about it here.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I read the first book in a single sitting, laughing all the way through, then got the next two and read them both in a 2nd sitting. I just couldn't put them down, they were too funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the King-Tolkien
Blood Red Snow-Gunter K Koschorrek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hobbit - Tolkien
The Red Badge Of Courage - Stephen Crane
O Livro do Desassossego - Fernando Pessoa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mndwrm wrote:

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami - Woah geeze this book rocked, 42 ninth grade students dropped on an island and ordered to kill each other; a story about how each student handles the situation (and some great action), and one of the greatest antagonists I've seen written. Even at 600+ pages, I knocked this one out in a few days.

I am going to have to check that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Mndwrm wrote:

I am going to have to check that out.

For those less interested in text only there's also a comic book series, which is both better and worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:

Was that good? Do I need to give that another try? I tried reading it in high school and only got a little ways in. At the time, at least, I hated the writing style -- dry and boring. Then I got to the part where he found a dead man, and I was pretty much done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When sleep wasn't as important as it is to me now, I'd stay up at night reading. If I had 75 or 100 pages to go, I wouldn't sleep until I was through.

From the second half of The Fellowship of the Ring through to the end of The Lord of the Rings, I pretty much read straight through like that. Wish I had the time now... *sigh*

Okay, Toggy just lent me books 2-7 of the Harry Potter series today, so I supposed I should go read that now, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

When sleep wasn't as important as it is to me now, I'd stay up at night reading. If I had 75 or 100 pages to go, I wouldn't sleep until I was through.

From the second half of The Fellowship of the Ring through to the end of The Lord of the Rings, I pretty much read straight through like that. Wish I had the time now... *sigh*

Okay, Toggy just lent me books 2-7 of the Harry Potter series today, so I supposed I should go read that now, huh?

Oh yes!!!

See you in a couple of days!!
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
MGBM wrote:

Was that good? Do I need to give that another try? I tried reading it in high school and only got a little ways in. At the time, at least, I hated the writing style -- dry and boring. Then I got to the part where he found a dead man, and I was pretty much done.

We also had to read it in high school along with The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Both were boring, uninteresting, and barely readable.

And I can read just about anything!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gregarius wrote:
The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Beat me to it. Haunting, haunting book. Fits the title of this post to a tee.

I also stayed up well past my bedtime several times last week finishing The DaVinci Code. My expectations were low, but it was FUN. Every chapter feels like it ends with a mini-cliffhanger.

Working on Devil in the White City now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osmotic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
Most recently, Last Call by Tim Powers was a two-day read for me. I had to force myself to turn out the light. So fascinating and unpredictable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuromancer. I'm a card carrying cyberpunk. Well, actually, if we didn't burn any identification like such a card.

edit: and I will add, The Collected Works Of William Shakespeare which I have read some and acted in some. My fave being Romeo and Juliet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a few books that fit in this category:

1.) Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton. Read it in one sitting - 18 hours straight

2.) The Templar Legacy, by Steven Berry. Finished in about a week, which isn't bad considering I have a wife and two children, and a job

3.) The second Drizz't Do'Urden Trilogy - Homeland, Exile, & Sojourn by R. A. Salvatore. I cracked through all three books in about 10 days.

4.) This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, and The Visitation, all by Frank Peretti. Best Christian fiction on the market, and I usually finish each book in about three days.

5.) The Belgariad series (Books 1, 2, & 3 and then books 4 & 5), as well as the Mallorean series (Books 1, 2, & 3, and then books 4 & 5), all by David Eddings. Some say his work is crap, but I enjoy it. All 10 books took me about a month or so, give or take.

6.) And finally, my second favorite book of all time, and one that I try to get everyone I know to read as many times as possible - the 1961 Hugo Award Winner A Canticle for Leibowitz. Walter Miller's magnum opus, and most profound work.

Now, of course, don't get my wrong. The Tolkein quintent (The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings) are my favorite books, hands down. But Tolkien's writing style doesn't let me read them straight through like the other stuff I listed above. It just isn't that kind of book, and I am okay with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a few, but right now I am reading, and thoroughly fascinated by, 'Illium' by Dan Simmons. His 'Hyperion' series before it is on my short list of 'must read' sci-fi as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several..

The ones that come to mind quickly are:

The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and Restaurant at the end of the Universe
The Chrysalids (had to read this for Grade 9, and absolutely loved it. Who would have known).
Enders Game (aswell).
Angels and Demons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious: Lord of the Rings, The Dark Tower, A Song of Fire and Ice

but also

Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

and to greater or lesser degrees:

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Steven King
The Long Walk by Steven King
To Kill a Mockingbird‎ by Harper Lee
Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gateway - Pohl
Stranger in a Strang Land - Heinlein
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

The only way I read it start to finish in one go. But then again, there are hardly books that I don't devour period.

While I have books that I love, and will reread endlessly, or read my favorite parts of when I need a break, there are books that I don't like as well, but I still read them in one go. It is odd.

I just finished "Persuasion" (Love love love Jane Austen, but we know that) and "The Looking Glass Wars". Which was a good but very easy read.

I think next up on the list are The Jackal of Nar and other books in that series by John Marco and The Wayfare Redemption Series by Sara Douglass. It has been a while since I have read any adult fantasy, so we shall see how this works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

We also had to read it in high school along with The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Both were boring, uninteresting, and barely readable.

And I can read just about anything!!

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.