Subject: Best wargames for a group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Paradise is fairly light, and would likely be a good choice.

If you can find it, Angola by the Ragnar Brothers is surprisingly good and fairly light. Better yet, pledge at MMP (Multiman Publications) to pick up a second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need 6 for it, but Here I Stand is the best multiplayer wargame for my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
You really need 6 for it, but Here I Stand is the best multiplayer wargame for my money.

Agreed, but learning curve might cause some bruises....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, try Axis & Allies, or the more expensive Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

If your group members are thick-skinned, try Diplomacy

And though it is not a traditional wargame, there are battles and conquest in Imperial

You might also look into Conquest of the Empire and Mare Nostrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Successors III, although it tops out at 4, is awesome. I also find it relatively easy to explain, but that's relative to wargame standards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Successors (third edition) is my favorite multiplayer wargame. I would say its medium complexity but the game's mechanics are simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires is kind of a euro/wargame, but it is a good intro warish type game for Eurogamers. Friedrich is amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Napoleonic Wars I have not played but hear it is a good one. History of the World If you can find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Struggle of Empires is kind of a euro/wargame, but it is a good intro warish type game for Eurogamers. Friedrich is amazing!

Good suggestions, Brandon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World (fantasy) or Vinci (non-fantasy) are great little games for 3-5 players. You play a series of civilization (each with unique attributes and abilities) that comes onto the board, expand, come into contact with other civs, fight for control, and eventually reach your limit. You then put your civilization into decline and select a new civilization.

Fast and light. A good gateway wargame. Small World cleans up some of the Vinci rules for the better, IMO, though if your group dislikes the fantasy theme, you might try to find a copy of Vinci.

Another good game for this number is Condottiere. You play a bunch of mercenary armies during the Italian Wars that are trying to carve out a holding of contiguous territory. You play cards from your hand in what is essentially an auction mechanic to gain territories. The only difference is that ALL players lose their "bid" (you're essentially bidding how many troops you're willing to lose to capture the territory). It's a nice game of area control and bluff and only takes about 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Close Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich is cool and has much lighter more euro-ish rules than many wargames. It's for 4 players max, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some very light but fun wargames I like are

Dust
Age of Gods
Senji
A Game of Thrones (first edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Epic Commands & Colors: Ancients is great with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YoungGrognard wrote:
I've been looking at are Wellington, Napoleonic Wars, Kutuzov, Successors II, Campaigns of King David, Friedrich, Conquest of Paradise, and Clash of Monarchs. Any suggestions?

Assuming that your comrades don't want to invest a lot of time in learning the typical wargame ruleset, I think you would do well to explore Martin Wallace's games. I happen to like:

Perikles
Byzantium
After the Flood, and
Struggle of Empires (as others have recommended and thus I second).

I would also second Successors, Friedrich & Conquest of Paradise.

Henry R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Successors III, although it tops out at 4, is awesome. I also find it relatively easy to explain, but that's relative to wargame standards.

There is a fifth player expansion for the first and second editions that can be added to this game. You have to make your own counters for the fifth player, but it isn't too difficult. Took only a short time to cut out and create the chips for the fifth player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
If your group members are thick-skinned, try Diplomacy

Find a 7th player and play a session of Diplomacy.

It is an awesome game!

You just have to approach it with the right attitude: in order to win, you have to make friends with all the other players, and turn on the right ones at the right time. What could be simpler?

Turn too early, and you'll suffer severe retribution. Turn too late, and, well, it'll be painfully obvious when it's too late!

This is a very subtle, very exciting and very intriguing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew - I'm at work, so I'll provide some suggestions later, but keep in mind that while many of the games you are looking at, as well as some suggested by people here, are great games, quite a few of them will take considerable amounts of time (i.e. 6 hours plus), even forgetting for the moment that the rules may be quite daunting for a game group used to playing Euros and the like. If you are hosting a game evening, I would assume that you are looking for a game that lasts no more than 3 hours or so - maybe 4 tops. That will rule out many of the games that you mentioned or that people have suggested (e.g. The Napoleonic Wars). If you can leave a game set up between sessions, that lessens this issue, since you could play some of these over multiple sessions.

My votes for the best multi-player lighter wargame for a crowd used to Euros, and capable of fitting into a single evening:

3 or 4 players: Friedrich we've finished this in 3 hours
3 to 6 players: History of the World this can easily take 4 hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My usual response is Viktory II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaigns of King David is terrible - whole chunks of rules are simply missing and the combat system involves lots of number crunching. Clash of Monarchs and Kutuzov are very heavy CDGs so I wouldn't recommend those to start out with. I think either Friedrich or Wellington would be the best choices of the games you list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
These are ones that my group has enjoyed over the years when we have 5 or 6 people showing up:

- Civilization (or Adv. Civ.)
- Federation Commander
- Conquest of the Empire
- Greyhawk Wars
- Dune
- Titan

Diplomacy has been a problem with us: we have a couple of people that will needle each other and sometimes it gets ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeHa wrote:

Yep. Viktory II. Plays quickly and is loads of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
If you can find a copy Emperor of China used to be an excellent multi-player (4-5) easily-played very light 'wargame'. Learn it in 15 minutes and finish in a couple hours tops. One of the favourites of our old gaming group and we had all types from die-hard grognards to some folks that came and went that were not really wargamers. Copies should be floating around out there on BGG marketplace or trade lists.

Successors (third edition) seemed extremely lightweight to me, enough that I was disappointed with my purchase and traded it without ever playing it, so that is a good thing for what you want I believe - and it seems highly rated although I lack the personal experience to really recommend it like EoC.

I will second that Clash of Monarchs would be an unmitigated disaster for what you describe. It is a very involved complex game not always full of a lot of 'action' and I would certainly not recommend non-7YW enthusiasts, let alone non-wargamers, even attempt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Malacandra wrote:
GeorgeHa wrote:

Yep. Viktory II. Plays quickly and is loads of fun.

Another vote for Viktory II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.