Subject: Trade and Progress Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lawrence
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This variant substitutes most of the progress advancement for money.
Calculate the winner as per existing rules.

Next, the winning empire advances 1 progress level - only.
The winning empire receives 1 money for winning, 1 money if the empire chose T&P, and 1 money if the target is at a higher progress level.
The other empire receives 1 money.

The reason for this variant is to keep the progress reward reasonable and to reflect the economic value of trade, which in my opinion is greater than the ability to progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taubman
Australia
Queens Park
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, but note this will make the game longer. Also, are there any empires that get glory for progress or trade AND money? If so they will become more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lawrence
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sure, it will make a longer game but it does make those empires that do score on trade, progress and money a little more attractive and it offers up an alternate to the empires that score from holding territory.

To digress..

Overall, I like the empire specific and artifact powers the least. The base rules are elegant and really make the game work. But when all of the fiddly powers from the cards and artifacts are added this what really makes the game long.

Granted, some of the events powers are useful and there overall effect is mitigated by the fact that there powers are only used when the event is played. Which for me makes there effects feel right.

I would like to play a game where how points are scored would be more up to the empire. So for instance you could have a choice to score on some combination territory, trade, religion, progress, and money. But you could only pick two (or some reasonable number) of means to score.

Which if you think about it you could devise some roll-your-own empire rules. You would get a certain amount of points to then pick empire traits. Your picks might be: chose the area to start in, chose how to score, chose a religion, chose a government, chose how far off your start progress is, chose your trade level, etc.

This would give a player a chance to customize an empire, making each a little more personal. But it would add to the game length.

I would also like to try some rules that make the military units more generic, so that you could just use cubes or colored chit and the military and support values are dependent on the empires progress level. I would also keep the age specific bonus units like elephants and the others. But would make them one use. I would also make some other bonus military units, which would also be one use and could be purchased by empires in the age that the bonus is available. For me this would make the unit choices easy.

Anyways, these sorts of rules would really mean a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary wallace
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think any variant or standard rules are only guidelines. Play with or without.
I only play total history, and like it a lot. This would make the game to long for my taste, also I think the small amount of money would make me less likely to play T&P. I do want to try the T&P variant where the LOSER gets amount of money based on the value of the card they played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.