BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Board Game Decathlon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W S
United States
California
flag msg tools
Anyone seen the TBS show My Boys? In the show they have an annual decathlon of board games wherein the group of friends break into teams and they compete over a series of nights for the privilege of free drinks for a month paid for by the losers.

Some of the games they play on the show: Ker Plunk, Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, Jenga, Operation, Pictionary, some sort of trivia game.

We're tying to co-opt this idea but not exactly sure what games we would play. Ideally, the games would be easy to understand, playable under 2 hours (preferably sooner, after all, there are 10 games to be played over about a 3 night span), can be played in teams, and span a number of categories (don't want 4 games out of 10 being trivia!). So the question to you geeks is, which 10 games would you choose to have in your Board Game Decathlon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, just because it sounds interesting:

1. Acquire - Right in the middle of complexity and play time.
2. Through the Desert - A bit quicker but thinkier.
3. Coloretto - A bit of a slow down.
4. Settlers of Catan - Back up to some wheeling and dealing.
5. Race for the Galaxy - Before people get too worn out.
6. Set - A different kind of burn.
7. Liars Dice - Can't think too much after Set.
8. Bohnanza - Keep the feel goods going.
9. Captain Clueless - Because you need something you haven't heard of.
10. Wits & Wagers - Light but fun ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that episode and thought, I wish they would play good games, not that crap...

1. Pass the Pigs
2. Munchkin
3. Bang
4. Settlers of Catan
5. Apples to Apples
6. Formula D
7. Race for the Galaxy
8. Mall of Horror
9. Ca$h 'n Gun$
10. Betrayal at House on the Hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Porter
United States
Winder
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D
Chicago Express
No Thanks!
Power Grid
El Grande
Dominion
Cosmic Encounter
Stone Age
Race for the Galaxy
The Great Dalmuti
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
You didn't mention how many would be playing or if it would one group against another but almost all of these games have either VP or Money so you can calculate 1st, 2nd and so on.

I wouldn't feel the need to play a party game or trivia, but if you must, go with Wits & Wagers, otherwise I'd have fun with these.

Acquire
Can't Stop
Cash-a-Catch
China
Fearsome Floors
Lifeboats
Light Speed
PitchCar
Santiago
Tikal

Previous suggestions that would also work....

Catan
Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm interesting: Ok i'm going to try this breaking it apart into categories and trying to keep it relativly light (cuz i might want to apply this as a fun thing to do in my university gaming club)

The Gamer Decathlon!

d10-1 Formula D (strategy...some luck but YMYOL (you make your own luck))
d10-2 Set (pattern recognition...easily won by the photographic memory people)
d10-3 Acquire (economic...everyone needs an economic game )
d10-4 Carcassone, with I&C T&B (worker placement...with these 2 expansions it should be fine at mitigating luck)
d10-5 Crokinole (dexterity...honestly who doesn't love crokinole)
d10-6 Stone Age (worker placement...my personal replacement for SoC)
d10-7 Pitchcar (dexterity...Vroom vroom..)
d10-8 Battleline (strategy...best 2 player card game ever)
d10-9 Blokus (strategy...Light but full of fun fun strategy)
d10-1d10-0 For sale (filler....very light and a good way to finish)

The teams are each 2 person.and hopefully an even number (will make it much easier) not necessary but definitely much simpler to plan for events.

The score will be given for 10 points of a team that earns the most points in any given game and 5 for the second place team.

Might be a little difficult to find a crokinole board but you can replace it:

3 strategy
2 dexterity
2 worker placement
1 pattern recognition
1 economic
1 filler light game

I think this tests everyone skills without being too heavy on rule sets or difficult...if ur doing 2 teams for 1v1 games they pick 1 of their players to go if the game supports 4/6 players then its 2-3 players from each team to go. winning team is the one that has the winner.

so
1: both players play with up to 5 team participating. The sum of both players position at the end of their race is their score, lower score then better position.
2: both players participating with up to 5 teams participating. Play a round of 3 games and add up the total number of "sets" collected across 3 games (might increase this number with time necessities) winner is the group with highest number of sets
3: I'm thinking 2 players play individually with 3 teams playing at a time with their scores adding up. Highest added up scores win
4: 2 players play individually with 3 teams playing at a time. Added up score for final standings. Highest score wins
5: 2v2 tournament style play.
6: hmmm i'm fighting between a team vs team (2v2) and a 1 player from 4 different teams playing each other. Not sure what would be better
7: both players race cars individually and add up their finishing places this lets 4 teams compete. Winning is done as with Formula D, with lowest sum winning.
8: one from each or fighting as a group (might be nice to do this at the same time as stone age....with 2 copies of battleline so i can have the teams split up for stone age....)
9: 2v2 with each players adding up their score at the end (remaining blocks worth negative) team with highest (or least negative) score wins
10: Another multiplay round kind of like set is (thinking 3 again) where everyone adds up their gold for every round and keeps a running sum. Highest sum over 3 (or potentially more) wins

Must try this now!!!

Also if I can get my hands on a copy of Loopin' Louie that would be a great replacement for crokinole. Don't really know many good dex games though...then again jenga could also replace this.

Edit: refined plans, changed team details made this a hella lot more interesting. Feedback always appreciated: version 1.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
DaFink wrote:

Other dexterity games besides PitchCar that would work...

Bausack
Bobbin' Bumblebee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W S
United States
California
flag msg tools
Heh, I knew this comment would come up by either someone who watched the episode(s) or by the list of games I put up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W S
United States
California
flag msg tools
We've got about 4+ committed to this thing and we would split into 2 teams or 3 if we somehow got 8+ players to commit.

Also, what they do in the show, is that the teams alternate in choosing which games to play (to keep things fair I suppose) so I would actually need more than 10 games to choose from but I think collectively you've all given me some great games to put into that collection.

So thanks to all of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W S
United States
California
flag msg tools
DaFink wrote:
Hmmm interesting: Ok i'm going to try this breaking it apart into categories and trying to keep it relativly light (cuz i might want to apply this as a fun thing to do in my university gaming club)

The Gamer Decathlon!

:d10-1: Formula D (strategy...some luck but YMYOL (you make your own luck))
:d10-2: Set (pattern recognition...easily won by the photographic memory people)
:d10-3: Acquire (economic...everyone needs an economic game :D)
:d10-4: Carcassone, with I&C T&B (worker placement...with these 2 expansions it should be fine at mitigating luck)
:d10-5: Crokinole (dexterity...honestly who doesn't love crokinole)
:d10-6: Stone Age (worker placement...my personal replacement for SoC)
:d10-7: Pitchcar (dexterity...Vroom vroom..)
:d10-8: Battleline (strategy...best 2 player card game ever)
:d10-9: Blokus (strategy...Light but full of fun fun strategy)
:d10-1::d10-0: For sale (filler....very light and a good way to finish)

3 strategy
2 dexterity
2 worker placement
1 pattern recognition
1 economic
1 filler light game

I think this tests everyone skills without being too heavy on rule sets or difficult...if ur doing 2 teams for 1v1 games they pick 1 of their players to go if the game supports 4/6 players then its 2-3 players from each team to go. winning team is the one that has the winner.

so
1: all possible players or 5 from each team
2: all possible players
3: 3 from each
4: 3 from each
5: 1 from each
6: 2 from each
7: 4 from each or all players
8: 1 from each
9: 2 from each
10: 3 from each

assuming 5 player teams every player would get to play at least 4 (minimum assuming they sit out of the other 6 which is highly unlikely) games..optimally you could probably have each player play about 5-6 out of 10 games.

Must try this now!!!

I like the enthusiasm. But one thing you might want to consider copying from the show is the idea of letting teams alternately choose which game from a collection of games (greater than the actual 10 you'll end up playing) to play. I think that way, people see the selection of games as fair(er) and it might get some non-geek gamers to actually participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
bruin7088 wrote:

I like the enthusiasm. But one thing you might want to consider copying from the show is the idea of letting teams alternately choose which game from a collection of games (greater than the actual 10 you'll end up playing) to play. I think that way, people see the selection of games as fair(er) and it might get some non-geek gamers to actually participate.

well the event I was going for is more geared towards early gamers...honestly i really don't see a huge issue with what i selected since many of these games are somewhat gateway games (with perhaps the exception of acquire) and can be picked up by anyone. The point of a decathlon is to challenge you in all gaming aspects so letting people select might lead to a theme. I picked these because they seem to represent generally easy games with a lot of different mechanics and a good balance of everything (on that note I'm considering actually running this at my university now..so the plan gets expended)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.