Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Either my games hate my new house, or the fact that I got new shelves and stood the games up on their sides is causing my boards to warp. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon, i.e. that boxes that stand up, instead of lie down flat, cause the boards to warp?

I pulled out my first printing Pandemic tonight, and the board is all kinds of warped, and I've noticed the same thing with other games, such as Ferti's En Garde. (I'm going to check all of the games now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you exude moistness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check the humidity levels of your new home. If it's higher than you're used to, it's possible this is having an effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
You might check the humidity levels of your new home. If it's higher than you're used to, it's possible this is having an effect.

How do you check that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My pandemic board has gotten pretty warped, and I keep the box flat, so I don't think edge-standing is the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
How do you check that?

There are various devices used to measure and regulate humidity. A device used to measure humidity is called a psychrometer or hygrometer. A humidistat is used to regulate the humidity of a building with a de-humidifier.

But the cheapest/easiest way to tell is if you "feel" the difference? Is it muggy? Basements tend to me more humid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started playing Pandemic again after not playing it for a while and I noticed that my board was warped (I also have a first printing). But I haven't noticed it in any of my other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onstott
United States
Baton Rouge
United States
flag msg tools
cferejohn wrote:
Do you exude moistness?

Are you this guy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 2nd printing of Pandemic that I also have on end... it was fine until just after this last winter and it warped quite a bit... I think it has more to do with humidity than how your box is stacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:

I pulled out my first printing Pandemic tonight, and the board is all kinds of warped, and I've noticed the same thing with other games, such as Ferti's En Garde. (I'm going to check all of the games now.)

My first edition Pandemic has been lying in it's box on the flat since I got it and it is so horribly warped it has nearly become unplayable. I have tried weights and it will flatten a bit but then it springs right back into a curl. I personally think it's defective construction since another person in my group has had a similar experience with their Pandemic board. I don't have En Garde but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on your Pandemic board warping. It seems to be the nature of the beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on the warpage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I didn't realize there was a problem until I read these posts. So I just checked my copy (we haven't played it yet, but it has been out of the shrink wrap) and there is indeed a slight warp in the gameboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
where exactly do they warp to?
have you been toying with the space time continuum or has a wormhole just randomly appeared in your new house?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onstott
United States
Baton Rouge
United States
flag msg tools
Footoomba wrote:
where exactly do they warp to?
have you been toying with the space time continuum or has a wormhole just randomly appeared in your new house?

From what I understand they warp to a sauna and come back super curvy.

Perhaps product recall time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lonnie kim
United States
milpitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i am a graduate student with a wardrobe full of board games in my dorm room.

boards are fine when i get them. and they warp over time. not all boards, but a lot of them. it usually happens in the first couple of days of being in my room. i heard something about humidity and one side of the board expanding/shrinking more than the other side and causing the warping.

i hope when i move out they go back to normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoki,

If you would stop using your psychic spoon bending powers on them they would be fine.

These are not the game boards you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
It depends on the board, but I know that I seemed to have more problems with warped boards when I stored my games on their sides than I do now that store them flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
There are various devices used to measure and regulate humidity. A device used to measure humidity is called a psychrometer or hygrometer. A humidistat is used to regulate the humidity of a building with a de-humidifier.

But the cheapest/easiest way to tell is if you "feel" the difference? Is it muggy? Basements tend to me more humid...

No, it doesn't feel muggy. I don't keep my games in a basement, they're on the second floor of my house. After inspecting some other games it simply seems like the Pandemic and En Garde (Ferti edition) boards are just crappy designs.

The following games, all stored in the same bookshelf and the same manner (on their side) don't have warped boards: Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Ave Caesar, Commands & Colors: Ancients, Mr. Jack, and Alchemist.

Both Pandemic and En Garde have very glossy boards, and while the former board is mounted, it's mounted with glossy paper on both sides, and the latter game's board isn't mounted at all, it's just cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Balderrama
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copies of Pandemic (1st printing) and Midgard are both really warped. I store all of my games flat and in the basement where it's not particularly humid. I wonder if applying low heat in a clothes dryer would work...and yes before you mention it, you would need the rack that goes in the middle...I surely wouldn't want to be accused of BoardGame abuse.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Balderrama
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found some threads if anyone is interested:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/713848

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/72062

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Dipucchio
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had the identical issue with Pandemic, right out of the box after I purchased it. The warpage was so significant that, when I tried to flatten the board, it snapped in half. Zev at Z-Man was kind enough to provide me with a replacement board very quickly, but to be honest it is still somewhat warped and doesn't lie completely flat. Too bad, because it really is somewhat annoying to play a game involving many bits with a warped board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
I pulled out my first printing Pandemic tonight, and the board is all kinds of warped

You are not alone. Warped boards with the first printing of Pandemic seem to be more the norm than the exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played my Pandemic game yesterday (1st edition) and wow, there was some definite warpage problems with the board.

I played several games last summer and fall and it was fine. I played it a couple of times this winter and there was a little warp to it. We played yesterday and there was a significant amount of warp to the board.

I store my games flat and the boards of other games are not warping, so it is hard to believe that it is the environment..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Footoomba wrote:
have you been toying with the space time continuum

Could be Eddy's fault; I hear he spends a lot of time there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.