Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sorcerer and reinforcements dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Black
msg tools
mb
The FAQ thread says that the sorcerer cannot use their power after using the reinforcements dice for the final conquest. What if you didn't use the dice on your final conquest?

Cheers,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Then it wasn't necessarily your final conquest.
You are allowed to substitue one adjacent solitary active race token from each opponent. These conversions are still regarded as 'conquests' and there are no requirements in the Sorcerers rules that prohibit these conquests being done as your final conquests.

It is only the requirement of the Reinforment die roll that it happends as your final conquest - but you are never obliged to roll that die if you don't want to!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Black
msg tools
mb
huh?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use the Sorcerer's ability at any* time during your Conquest phase - up until the point where you use the reinforcement die. After that you can no longer make any further conquests (and using the Sorcerer's ability counts as a conquest).

*) Only exception is that it can only be used during the initial conquest if the Sorcerer has the Flying ability. This is because the ability only works on adjacent regions, and the 'adjacency' rule is negated by the Flying ability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Black
msg tools
mb
OK thank you.



Cheers,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Allard
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
*) Only exception is that it can only be used during the initial conquest if the Sorcerer has the Flying ability. This is because the ability only works on adjacent regions, and the 'adjacency' rule is negated by the Flying ability.


The flying rule doesn't negate adjacency ... it just makes every region adjacent to every other region. So, it doesn't change initial conquest rules for the Sorcerers. They must still enter from a board edge, and they must still have a presence on the board before they can use their ability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edralla wrote:

The flying rule doesn't negate adjacency ... it just makes every region adjacent to every other region.


The flying ability removes adjacency restrictions on conquest.

It does not grant adjacency. Subtle but important difference.

SW English Rulebook wrote:

Flying:
You may conquer any Region of the map except Seas. These Regions do not need to be adjacent or contiguous to ones you already occupy.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edralla wrote:
Great Dane wrote:
*) Only exception is that it can only be used during the initial conquest if the Sorcerer has the Flying ability. This is because the ability only works on adjacent regions, and the 'adjacency' rule is negated by the Flying ability.


The flying rule doesn't negate adjacency ... it just makes every region adjacent to every other region. So, it doesn't change initial conquest rules for the Sorcerers. They must still enter from a board edge, and they must still have a presence on the board before they can use their ability.


Please read this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/401678 in which the publisher (and designer) state:
Erich wrote:
Actually (and after double checking with Philippe during a tournament in France yesterday), while Halflings are indeed the only race that can enter the board through a non border territory, if you have the Flying special power, you may use it to enter the board through a non border territory.

Eric @ DoW
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Allard
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The semantics don't change the underlying premise. The Sorcerer ability requires the single opponent token to be in an adjacent region. Adjacency is a requirement for Following Conquests (pg 4 of the rules). Therefore, this implies that the Sorcerer ability is a Following Conquest ability -- they must already be on the board. It follows then, if Flying is in affect, it only relieves the adjacency requirement and can only be used on Following Conquests -- it has no effect on the First Conquest. The Sorcerers must have a foothold to use it.

I've posted this same query on the DoW forum. Haven't heard anything yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Again the Sorcerer/Flying inconsistency.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edralla wrote:
The semantics don't change the underlying premise. The Sorcerer ability requires the single opponent token to be in an adjacent region. Adjacency is a requirement for Following Conquests (pg 4 of the rules). Therefore, this implies that the Sorcerer ability is a Following Conquest ability -- they must already be on the board. It follows then, if Flying is in affect, it only relieves the adjacency requirement and can only be used on Following Conquests -- it has no effect on the First Conquest. The Sorcerers must have a foothold to use it.

I've posted this same query on the DoW forum. Haven't heard anything yet.


I'm not sure that follows. Yes, adjacency is a requirement for the Sorceror racial ability, but I believe that restriction was meant to eliminate confusion about where the ability could be used (to prevent questions about whether the Sorcerors can jump around the board using their ability). I don't think that just because the requirement automatically implies that it is a "conquest" ability only. I could see it either way, but I don't know that it's a given.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I'm not sure that follows. Yes, adjacency is a requirement for the Sorceror racial ability, but I believe that restriction was meant to eliminate confusion about where the ability could be used (to prevent questions about whether the Sorcerors can jump around the board using their ability).

Exactly. It simply means that the Sorcerer have to follow the normal rules for conquest except it can only convert 'single token' areas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm totally lost, but I assume that if Flying Sorcs can ensorcel on their first conquest, then Underworld Sorcs can ensorcel to any underworld region as their first conquest too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
I'm totally lost, but I assume that if Flying Sorcs can ensorcel on their first conquest, then Underworld Sorcs can ensorcel to any underworld region as their first conquest too.

Not quite.
Flying is an ability that makes you treat any region as if you were adjacent to it.
Underworld is an ability that makes you treat any Underworld region as adjacent to any other Underworld region.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.