Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combining Wilderness and Dungeon Sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I want to combine Wilderness and Dungeon sets. The 2.3 rules state...

"Combining Wilderness and Dungeon Sets: Take out an Entrance from each set and place them a short distance apart in the center of the play area. Then separate the Maps into 2 decks. Heroes on a Wilderness space draw from the Wilderness deck, and heroes on a Dungeon space draw from the Dungeon deck. When building the map, all Dungeon Map cards (black border) are placed so that they connect to each other. Similarly, all Wilderness Map cards (white border) are placed adjacent to each other. However, the Dungeon and Wilderness map sections are built apart from each other and never touch; they are connected only by Portals. As the map is built, the first player to place a Map card with a Portal may then place a marker token on it and one on a Dungeon Entrance; they are then linked."

This all makes sense, but it seems incomplete in regard to the game setup, or I'm missing some fine print somewhere...

How do you determine which players start on which entrances? And for both entrances, do you still place 4 adjacents map spaces next to each one? Are all the quest cards are shuffled (and dealt) together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took it to mean adventurers start out in the wilderness and wander around looking for the entrance to the dungeon. Once the portal card is placed and linked to the dungeon entrance, they may then explore that level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So "house rules" are required to combine sets? Hmmm. I just figured there was a set way.

So what do you do with quests? Shuffle them all together, and if one person gets 2 dungeon and the other gets 2 wilderness, then the latter gets an advantage? Or deal one of each before shuffling them together?

What about the global quest? And do you expose 4 map spaces on the dungeon space as well?

It'd be nice if there was a definite way in the rules, but I suppose there's no FAQ for this. Or is this something players don't really do because it doesn't work very well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not done this in a few years, but I think what we did was to use the option to set up all of the map cards first. Heroes could start at either starting point. We combined the quests.

If you want to have a game where you build the map as you go, I would say give one of each quest to each hero and then combine the two sets of quests for the rest of the game. Definitely add the four passageways to the dungeon entrance, like normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the input. Did it work well, or do you find it more fun to just stick with one map?

I admit, I've only played the game once. It was with one map, and it was more of a learning experience. In my mind, two maps at once seems more fun, but maybe it's not with this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
I admit, I've only played the game once. It was with one map, and it was more of a learning experience. In my mind, two maps at once seems more fun, but maybe it's not with this game?

I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with this, but it seems to me having two maps places greater demands on a hero's ability to get around, both in terms of spaces moved and peril accumulated, without always increasing the resources needed to do so.

A thought occurs that maybe a "quick march" rule could be devised, so a hero who needs to cover a lot of ground quickly, to get down into that out of the way dungeon, can do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe the heroes' initial life values should be increased?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Denmark
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

How do you determine which players start on which entrances?

Player's choose. (they're decision likely based on the Quests they drew).

JYoder wrote:
And for both entrances, do you still place 4 adjacents map spaces next to each one? Are all the quest cards are shuffled (and dealt) together?

Yes.

Though we play with all the map cards placed in the beginnning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.