Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading a Robin Cook book again, man I love his books. They're quick to hook you and pull you along for a cheap, fast ride. Anyone know of any other authors that really make it so you can't put the book down? I'm looking for suggestions here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean Koontz mastered this. Book after book I had to read them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest the Amber series by Roger Zelazny. Now available in one omnibus edition, which is not too much longer than your thicker fantasy-type paperbacks.

Each actual novel is relatively short. 1,264 pages, total, in "The Great Book of Amber" (for all 10 novels).

If you're like me, you'll get to the end and wish there was more (as there was clearly meant to be, before Mr. Z passed away). Roger Zelazny was a multiple Hugo and Nebula award winner, and was nominated many more times than he won.

If you don't already know, the Amber chronicles themselves are more in the fantasy vein, but tied firmly into the idea of parallel dimensions...actually, in this case, of one primary dimension of which all others are reflections. Through these many variations, the characters can move at will, which makes for some interesting options. Need money? Skip on over to a place where there's diamonds lying around on the sand...(as there apparently used to be, in South Africa), then skip back with them to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
James Patterson... writes about 3 books a year. You can easily read one in a day.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tomorrow series by John Marsden:

1. Tomorrow, When The War Began
2. The Dead of the Night
3. The Third Day, The Frost (published in America as A Killing Frost)
4. Darkness Be My Friend
5. Burning For Revenge
6. The Night Is For Hunting
7. The Other Side Of Dawn

This is an Aussie YA series about of group of teenagers who come back from a camping trip and find that the country has been attacked/invaded. This is a page turner. The 1st three books are really good, books 4 & 5 feel formulaic/repetitive, but book 6 more than makes up for it. I have not read book 7 because I am a library borrower and my entire library system has #1 through #6, but not #7!! I just have to buckle down and buy it!!

But, maybe some of our Aussie chit chatters can chime in here. Especially if #7 stinks or ends the series badly, Because if it does, at least for me, then it is NOT worth reading the rest!

My only caution is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
that the protagonist is a 17-year old female who can whine a bit at times, question herself and her motives, stress over her violent actions, etc.
I didn't find it to be too bad/much, but I'm not a guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is nothing new, ground-breaking, or even great writing, Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule was a page-turner for me. I can't speak to the rest of the series, but the first book gripped me.

Another really good book is The Terror by Dan Simmons. Huge, but it flew by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the Area 51 series by Robert Doherty to be fantastic popcorn light reading. Tons of action, reads like a blockbuster Hollywood film, with plenty of action and intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
jonnylawless wrote:
Anyone know of any other authors that really make it so you can't put the book down? I'm looking for suggestions here.

Anything by the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child writing team is like that. Their earliest stuff is best (I HIGHLY recommend The Relic and Riptide), but the later stuff, while just as compellingly readable, have ridiculously STOOPID premises. You don't really notice it until after you've finished, though. James Rollins is in this same vein. The authors write stories that are a lot like an Indiana Jones movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:
Anyone know of any other authors that really make it so you can't put the book down? I'm looking for suggestions here.

Anything by the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child writing team is like that. Their earliest stuff is best (I HIGHLY recommend The Relic and Riptide), but the later stuff, while just as compellingly readable, have ridiculously STOOPID premises. You don't really notice it until after you've finished, though. James Rollins is in this same vein. The authors write stories that are a lot like an Indiana Jones movie.

You liked Riptide, eh? That one just didn't do it for me. It just seemed so un-original. I was very disappointed in it. My wife loves the Relic series, but she works in a museum, so that helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

Anything by James Rollins, but particularly his earlier Pre-Sigma Force books - Amazonia, & Ice Hunt, might be good places to start. They're nothing special in terms of literary greatness, but for an adventure novel, they keep the pages turning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware books - just suck you into the plot so you NEED to see whats going on.

I agree with Mark. Hugely entertaining series.

Two other suggestions -

John Sanford

His main series is the "Prey" series featuring Minneapolis detective Lucas Davenport. The series chronicles Davenport's rise through the ranks. The character appeals in many ways and one thing that is cool about Davenport is he's a game geek. A total geek... a history of playing RPG's and war games. In fact, during the series he is writing RPG's and play testing large scale ACW games. As the time line progresses Davenport uses his earnings from game sales to pay for the initial coding of his RPG hit into a PC game, which makes him a small fortune which he then invests in software designed for use in police work which makes him a large fortune. All that is a continuing back story and hugely entertaining.

Sanford has another character that he's done two books on... also from Minneapolis... who is a artist/thief... but a "good" thief, not one of those creepy thieves.

His most recent book takes one of the recurring characters from the Prey series... a detective named Virgil Flowers who is almost always referred to as "that fucking Flowers" in the Prey books and gives him his own story to follow.

James Lee Burke

Personally, I think Burke is not only a gifted tale-spinner in the thriller-mystery-crime genre, but he also produces some of the most awesome prose in the junk reading universe. He's getting older now and slowing down in his output but man, he is capable of keeping you up late with his unique plots and keeping you somewhat in awe that he is so capable in making things seem "real" with his words.

He has two main characters... one an ex detective from New Orleans who has moved back to the small Louisiana town he grew up in to get off the booze and work as a detective. The other is a sheriff's detective in the Hill Country of Texas where his family has a tradition of lawmen dating back to the formation of the Texas Rangers.

Since I plow through about 200+ books in any given year all my fiction is from thrift stores. It helps when you're only paying $1 to $2 a book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
cscottk wrote:
You liked Riptide, eh? That one just didn't do it for me. It just seemed so un-original. I was very disappointed in it.

It probably didn't hurt that I (a) had read about the legend of Oak Island when I was about nine years old, or (b) read the book while I was at the beach. But I loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule

I know lots of people think highly of this book, but it was one of the very small group of books that I've given up on part-way through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
I'm reading a Robin Cook book again, man I love his books. They're quick to hook you and pull you along for a cheap, fast ride. Anyone know of any other authors that really make it so you can't put the book down? I'm looking for suggestions here.
The first Robin Cook book I read was fantastic! So I read another one... which was good but eerily similar. The third was the same thing all over again. I'm not sure if I actually finished it or not. I certainly lost interest in those books.

But if you've never read a Robin Cook book, read one! The first one will be amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
cscottk wrote:
Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule

I know lots of people think highly of this book, but it was one of the very small group of books that I've given up on part-way through.
For me all the Terry Goodkind books both appealed and repelled. Some more one than the other. Try the first one, but if you don't really enjoy it, give up. They don't get any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Elmore Leonard's books to be page turners. There's not much memorable stuff when your done, but while you're reading it's good fun and can be hard to put down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
cscottk wrote:
You liked Riptide, eh? That one just didn't do it for me. It just seemed so un-original. I was very disappointed in it.

It probably didn't hurt that I (a) had read about the legend of Oak Island when I was about nine years old, or (b) read the book while I was at the beach. But I loved it.

Yeah, that would help a lot I would think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
Carl Hiaasen is a gripping author, too, I think. Plus, he'll make you cringe and laugh at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept pushing on to read "just one more chapter" in Patrick Rothfuss' first novel of his series The Name of the Wind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kushiel's Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey was a real page turner for me. A word of caution, though, it does have some explicit BDSM themes, so it's not for all tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
The Kushiel's Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey was a real page turner for me. A word of caution, though, it does have some explicit BDSM themes, so it's not for all tastes.
I wouldn't have mentioned it first, but yes I quite enjoyed the Kushiel books. Just as well I'm anonymous, hey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.