Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Sweet, sweet CRAB!! (Ok, actually Surimi........) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I bought a package of fake crab meat to add to my daily lunch salads, but accidentally/erroneously/stupidly bought the one that is rolled to look like fake crab legs. I usually buy the chunks and find them to be very good/tasty.

I add 2 "legs" to salad #1 on Monday along with shredded mozzarella, salt, tomatoes, over fresh spinach.

I take a bite.......something's wrong. I take another bite, it is SWEET??? I think: I added salt, didn't I? Was it sugar instead of salt? No, I'm positive it was salt. But it tastes like there is sugar in the salad.

That night I talk to Mystery Bob about it:

ME: I had that fake crabmeat in my salad and it was sweet.
HIM: Did you check the ingredients?
ME: No, would they put sugar in crab meat?
HIM: It's probably corn syrup, that's in everything.
ME: Let me check the label, you're probably right.
Pause while I check label........
ME: You're never going to believe this.
HIM: What? Corn syrup right?
ME: There is no corn syrup listed. The ingredients are in this order: Fish (a list of the possible fish used), corn starch, and SUGAR!!

Wait, what?

So, sugar is the 3rd ingredient in these "crab legs!" Why oh why? I haven't checked the ingredients on the chunks, but they do not taste sweet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crab candy! Yum!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
I had a microwave pizza yesterday that had a tomato sauce that was faintly sweet. I don't understand that, but I also don't understand why people put sugar in cornbread.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I had a microwave pizza yesterday that had a tomato sauce that was faintly sweet. I don't understand that, but I also don't understand why people put sugar in cornbread.


Yay!! Another salty cornbread fan!! I like the one made in the cast iron pans/molds!! YUM!!!

I have an awesome Mexican cornbread recipe if you're interested. It is almost a meal in itself with layers of meat, corn, jalapenos, and cheese (I think). The recipe's not where I am now!!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had candied mini-crabs that's very popular in Asia. They are tasty. Same with the candied anchovies. Yum!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I like the one made in the cast iron pans/molds


We don't use the cast-iron molds but we have an old & giant Griswold cast-iron skillet and corn bread is the only thing we use it for. Straight from the oven to the table!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
I like the one made in the cast iron pans/molds


We don't use the cast-iron molds but we have an old & giant Griswold cast-iron skillet and corn bread is the only thing we use it for. Straight from the oven to the table!


Well, I really meant "skillet" instead of "pan"-- aargh!!

But the important question now is:

When can Verkisto and I come over for some??
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
Cornbread without sugar? CHECK.

Cast-iron skillet? CHECK.

Recipe for Mexican cornbread? CHECK.

Now, mine doesn't have meat in it, so I would love to see that recipe....
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Cornbread without sugar? CHECK.

Cast-iron skillet? CHECK.

Recipe for Mexican cornbread? CHECK.

Now, mine doesn't have meat in it, so I would love to see that recipe....


I also added it to our Recipe Repository.

Mexican Corn Bread

½ pound ground beef
Salt & Pepper
1 pound cheddar cheese
1 onion, chopped
2-4 pads jalapeños, chopped
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cooking oil
1 cup milk
1 can creamed corn

Brown meat in skillet (adding salt & pepper to taste) and drain well on paper towels, set aside. Mix together in a large bowl: cornmeal, flour eggs, baking powder, salt, oil, milk, and corn. In a greased 13” X 9” baking pan put one half of the cornmeal mixture, all of the beef, all of the onions, all of the jalapeños, all of the cheese, and the rest of the cornmeal mixture. Bake at 350°F for one (1) hour. Cut and eat while warm.



Upon another look, I'd modify this somewhat by using the shredded Mexican cheese instead of cheddar and maybe red onions. I'd also season the meat with a couple of tablespoons of taco seasoning. I would also venture to add a layer of refried beans and/or substitue chorizo or hot sausage for the beef.

The original recipe that I tasted and was given to me was kind of greasy/soggy, so I modified it and added more cornmeal and the flour (which it didn't have). I also added the part about draining the cooked meat. Now, if you'd like to try it greasy and less cake-like, you can reduce the cornmeal to 1 cup, eliminate the flour altogether, and not drain the cooked beef.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a second, was it in japanese? And are you sure it's Surimi? If it was, then it is suppose to be sweet. The Japanese like sweet things more than savory things. Their eggs in their egg sushi is often sweet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
matthew.marquand wrote:
We don't use the cast-iron molds but we have an old & giant Griswold cast-iron skillet and corn bread is the only thing we use it for. Straight from the oven to the table!

So you're saying you have a lot of scorch marks on your table?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
EgorjLileli wrote:
[a heavenly description of cornbread]

I would probably take out the flour, replace the creamed cord with kernel corn, and use buttermilk instead of milk, but otherwise I would make this dish pretty much as you described it.




Dang it Aldie, where's that rool: emoticon??
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
Wait a second, was it in japanese? And are you sure it's Surimi? If it was, then it is suppose to be sweet. The Japanese like sweet things more than savory things. Their eggs in their egg sushi is often sweet.


No, I don't think so, it's a name-brand that they sell in the grocery store next to the fresh fish.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
[a heavenly description of cornbread]

I would probably take out the flour, replace the creamed cord with kernel corn, and use buttermilk instead of milk, but otherwise I would make this dish pretty much as you described it.




Dang it Aldie, where's that rool: emoticon??


Ooo, that sounds good!! I haven't made/eaten this in--Wow!!--20 years!! Boy, I need to dust off some of my old recipes. This could actually be an entire meal/main course!!

YUM!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:
We don't use the cast-iron molds but we have an old & giant Griswold cast-iron skillet and corn bread is the only thing we use it for. Straight from the oven to the table!

So you're saying you have a lot of scorch marks on your table?


Straight from the oven to the [trivet on the] table!

Sorry about that. Pardon my momentary lapse of cranking up the pedant avoidance sensors to 11 before posting.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
So long as you took it with the sense of fun that I intended to go with the original comment, no apology is necessary....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:
We don't use the cast-iron molds but we have an old & giant Griswold cast-iron skillet and corn bread is the only thing we use it for. Straight from the oven to the table!

So you're saying you have a lot of scorch marks on your table?


Straight from the oven to the [trivet on the] table!

Sorry about that. Pardon my momentary lapse of cranking up the pedant avoidance sensors to 11 before posting.


Well I'll accept your apology as soon as I get my cornbread delivered!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
So long as you took it with the sense of fun that I intended to go with the original comment, no apology is necessary....


Just kidding....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:


Well I'll accept your apology as soon as I get my cornbread delivered!!!


Crap. I'd better go looking for that skillet. The things weighs 800 pounds...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:


Well I'll accept your apology as soon as I get my cornbread delivered!!!


Crap. I'd better go looking for that skillet. The things weighs 800 pounds...



Bummer, the postage is going to be a bear!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.