Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cook
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently got SmallWorld, and after 2 2P games met with our weekly gaming group to try a 5P game. First person led off with some swamp wizards, marching across one corner, and the next led from Forest Amazons across another corner, both getting off to a good start with 2-3 spaces each granting extra points. I decided to go with some Berserk Ratmen just to see how the hoard could go--and rolled horribly. 4 blank faces and two 1s left me with only 5 conquered territories, and I was already trailing. Next guy picked some Diplomatic Giants, seizing the southern range of 3 adjacent mountains and some of the surrounding territory, while the 5th person chose the Bivouacking Orcs to pillage some Lost Tribes. No PvP first round, but in the second round both Ratmen and Amazons carved a little into Wizard territory (especially since the Giants forced a truce with the Amazons, and the Ratmen finally got a couple of decent rolls), and the Orcs took on some more Lost Tribes. By that point, the orcs had pretty much surrounded the Giants, but decided not to go into decline, and the board was getting pretty crowded except an open area between the Ratmen and Orcs. Turn 3, several felt we were overextended and went into decline--Wizards, Amazons, and Ratmen all left the board, Replaced on Turn 4 by Fortified Elves, Mounted Skeletons, and Underground Humans, respectively. The first two immediately went after the others' declining races, while I took my Humans and, given there are so many fields with caves on the 5P map, decided to bounce around settling a lot of spaces across the board. Giants and Orcs both went into decline, and on Turn 5 came out with Merchant Halflings and Flying Tritons respectively. By this point, my humans were started to get hammered upon by the surrounding races, seen as a threat despite the fact that due to the poor rolling initially I was hanging out close to last place, so Turn 6 was another Decline for me. Meanwhile, the Tritons decided that since his old Orcs controlled a couple of coastal spots surrounding the giants, he was going to take the easy win and carve into the declined Amazons and Wizards--bringing him into direct conflict with the Skeletons as well. Of course, there are still 4 giants in and around the mountains, while the halflings have put Holes-in-the-Ground across most of their northern flank--with the southern flank completely encapsulated by declined Orcs. I brought out some Pillaging Sorcerers on turn 7, but by this point it was too late--the Halflings already controlled 6 areas (plus the giants 4, meant 16 VP/round!), and with the Skeletons still running rampant on my other flank, along with the Tritons' insistance on hitting said Skeletons with everything they had to take advantage of cheaper coastling, instead of going after the obvious leader, the Halfling/Giant combo started raking in the points. He didn't even do any conquests the last two rounds, apart from retaking 1-2 territories I was able to take from him, and certainly wasn't going into decline despite the inability to expand further. By the end of Turn 8, Halfling/Giant (with Merchant/Diplomat powers, repectively) had racked up an impressive 102, with Team Orc/Triton in second at 84. Skeletons and Amazons were a close 3rd at 81. I, with my Ratmen/Human/Sorcerer combo, was a distant 4th at 61, and the Wizards/Elves (along with some Wealthy Dwarves brought in on turn 8 for the quick VP), as the only other person to play the game previously, were even further back at 61.

So what have we learned? Obviously, don't position your starting races so that you can't advance except over them, but more importantly, you're always better off making sure everyone's getting attacked equally instead of getting into skirmishes with the same few people over and over. I was attacked at various points by everyone at one point or another, while 3 other players were in conflict with 3 of their 4 opponents--meanwhile, apart from the Tritons taking one or two pieces from the declined Giants, I was the only one to ever attack the leader--and with the ability to gain so much VP for so little effort, it was a deadly combination. Certainly something we'll be watching for next time. And everyone agreed, there would be a next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Karjalainen
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
Paragraphs!

My eyes just de-focus and start to search for a hidden ascii image...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnttiK wrote:
jwoodall04 wrote:
Paragraphs!

ninja

My retinas just detached! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Saad
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsugo wrote:
AnttiK wrote:
jwoodall04 wrote:
Paragraphs!

ninja

My retinas just detached! soblue

wall of text crits you for 5000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Words."
- Hamlet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice brick. Sorry, couldn't force myself to read that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.