Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some small plastic treasure chests, between 1" and 1/2" in size. (I got them from Mage Knight Dungeons and Weapons & Warriors: Pirate Battle) I want to fill them with tiny bits of treasure, to match Dungeons & Dragons-type miniatures. I've found tiny swords (Dark World) and helmets and coloured jewels. But I need to find tiny, tiny coins of copper, silver, gold, etc.

If I can't find some plated beads of gold and silver (either seed beads or micro beads), then my alternative is to get a sheet of styrene, punch out dozens of tiny circles, glue the circles into a solid pile, then paint the pile. It won't look nearly as good as plated glass beads, but it should be a fun project.

I've seen sheets of Styrene in lots of stores. But does anyone have a suggestion for a punch (or other method) that will give me lots of tiny circles?

Or any other suggestions for making lots of gold-coloured coins in the scale I need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the day, LEGO made both treasure chests and LEGO gold coins to fill them with. I don't know if their website might allow you to order just the coins, but that might be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega blocks 'Pyrates' have treasure, coins, gems etc:

http://www.megabrands.com/en/kids/pyrates/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go the punch route you could probably check an office supply store. I think I remember having a mechanical pencil with a replaceable eraser that was rather small. The erasers were held by a thin metal tube that was less than 5mm in diameter IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a scrapbooking tool called a Crop-A-Dile that will punch 1/8" and 3/16" holes through all sorts of material. You can also find gold craft metal at craft stores. The metal I have is gold on one side and silver on the other, but you may be able to find some that is gold on both sides. The Crop-A-Dile goes through the craft metal very easily.

Edit: I should mention that the tool is designed to punch holes (as opposed to creating punched circles) and tends to bend the punched parts, so I'm not sure how the styrene would hold up. I have tried it on the craft metal, though, and it's easy to just flatten the metal back out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
I seem to recall someone doing something similar with really small metallic confetti.

I know I saw it on the net but I can't find it for the life of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are all kinds of ways you can do this, but have you thought of casting them?

http://www.hirstarts.com/cavern/watercavern.html#85

http://www.hirstarts.com/cavern/descent.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use a leather punch for making coins from plastic sheet. Also, look for gold mica flake paint, which will look like scale gold nuggets. You might also be able to find useful glitter or confetti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
I seem to recall someone doing something similar with really small metallic confetti.

I know I saw it on the net but I can't find it for the life of me.

Found it!!!

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page443.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:

That looks really good. Maybe not to fill treasure chests, but it would work for loose piles of coins, under dragon miniatures, etc.

And since it's just hot glue, white glue, glitter and matte varnish, it shouldn't be too tough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.