Zee Garcia
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Blender!
mb
The game's included variant about scoring a bonus for having 3 or more ships of the same color seems to be, as others have suggested, too powerful. Meaning, if anybody is able to collect a set, they'll probably win easily. This variant still awards a bonus for collecting lots of tiles from the same color but in a linear and less impacting way. Simply put:

- At the end of the game, besides scoring the printed values of each ship, everyone scores bonus points based on how many ships of the same color they captured.
For the 1st ship in a color: 1 bonus point.
For the 2nd ship in a color: 2 bonus points.
For the 3rd ship in a color: 3 bonus points.
Etc.

So, as a sample scoring (and I'm making up the values, didn't actually look at the tile distribution):

Let's say you end the game with these ships in your scoring pile: Blue 8, Blue 6, Red 4, Red 5, Red 3, Yellow 7.

Your scoring is 8+6+4+5+3+7 = 33 (the printed values) plus 1+2+1+2+3+1 = 10 (the bonuses) for a total of 43 points.

What I like about this variant is that it gives everyone something to score at the end while preventing a really wild point swing from what should be just a bonus and not the main objective.

That's it! I'd love to hear your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Au
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree that the highest point-value ship being the bonus is too much.

Someone else on here suggested awarding an average of the three (or more) ships of the same colour, which is a bit awkward.

I would suggest that the the bonus be the LOWEST value of the three (or more) ships of the same colour. Depending on the draw of the tiles, you don't know how much that bonus will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.