Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAR Solo PanzerBlitz: HOD Scenario 8

Here's the situation. The British are holed up in the town of Eterville in this night time scenario. The elite German troops along with two Panzer tanks attack from the South with supporting artillery. This is my first learning session-

There were special rules.

Night Vision Scenario spotting rules- Units can only be spotted when out in the open from 3 hexes away. Units can only be spotted in orchards and towns from 1 hex away. This will make it tough on the Germans. There is an additional +1 DRM for every 2 hexes of range. They need to get in close. devil

The Germans also get the first chit pull since they are on the offensive. The chit pull is stacked in their favor as well.

The Germans decided to split up their forces and attack from the left and right. Those roads might help in closing in quickly. The British occupy several orchards around Eterville, and have two AT guns, one on top of the hill to the South. The objective for the Germans is to capture the majority (4 out of 7) of the orchards surrounding Eterville.

First Chit pull- German OP1-
Immediately requested artillery from 3314 (left flank troop) on to 3610 (the heavily defended improved position on the hill above Eterville). A 'no move' marker is placed on the Forward Observer infantry as they spot for the artillery and they move no further this turn. It's fellow Panzer Grenadier unit jumped on to the tank squad for a free ride. The tank still had half its Movement Allowance so it began rolling up road to hex 3512. This brought it too close to that heavily defended hill position. surprise

The 6 lb. AT gun opportunity fires at 3610. They were spotted (no 4+ DRM), using road bonus (-1 DRM), and Op Fire on moving armor (+1 DRM). The AT gun AT attack strength was 11 minus the tanks armored defense strength 7 putting it in the 4 column on the Direct Fire Table. SNAKE EYES! The result of 2X means two step losses or the complete removal of the target. Obviously, the infantry on riding on tank didn't see it coming and suffer the same fate. surprise

The panzer grenadier units further down the road advance as well.

This ends the first phase. Not a good start for the Germans. shake

Brits pull- British OP1- activate at 3610 (the hill position)-

The AT gun is spent and can do nothing else this turn. The Machine Gun unit that also sits in the improved position alongside the gun attempts to fire at the out of range (by 1 hex) Pz. Gren unit at 3413 (unspotted because of night rules). Obviously to no effect. The Mechanized infantry in and round this hex decide to sit tight. ninja

Germans pull- German OP0- Activate at 4014 (the right flank)-
Seeing/hearing the destruction from afar they decide to join the left flank and consolidate. One Pz Gren hops on tank squad, and the tank then uses remaining Movement Allowance (1/2) to get off the road and veer left to hopefully join up with left flank panzer grenadiers (now without armor) on top of the hill- The other Panzer Grenadier platoon lags behind.

A more few chits are pulled but passes all around- The Brits sit tight and the German units are all spent.

We reach the administration segment (no more chit pulls).
Artillery (high explosives only AT10, AP7 as per scenario rules for offboard 88mm guns) is resolved. Due to Improved Position +1 (for the two units within: Machine Gun and AT Gun), Unspotted +4, and town +2, even though the artillery was determined to be accurate it was obviously a waste of time. The dice are rolled three times (once for each unit in the hex) to no effect. Note to self- get in close to spot units first! This position will prove difficult to dislodge and that initial loss of the tank may be a sign of things to come.

Lessons learned- Keeping units close together probably a good idea. Not only will this help in activation (each Op chit has a very small radius of activation) but it will make them stronger. Sending a tank with infantry riding on it, at full speed on a road, by itself into the front, not a good idea.

Spent counters are removed and chits are placed back in chit pool.

Next turn-

Brits draw- British Op0- and pass. They will sit tight still. ninja

Germans draw- German Op1- and activate at 3814. The remaining tank and riding infantry roll up the slope line to be adjacent to their Panzer Grenadier brothers on the road at hex 3513. They have expended 4 of 6 MA points to make such a move suffering +1 to climb the slope line. They have now changed course and have now joined the remaining units on the left flank. This unit is now marked spent.

That stubborn AT gun op fires on this tank while the the machine gun decided to op fire on the riding infantry. The AT gun misses the tank by a mile. The machine gun does a better job. +1 DRM because of scenario night vision restriction, -1 DRM because of op fire versus infantry. Since infantry are on top of tank, they only defend at 1, meaning there is a 7:1 combat ratio that reduces to 6:1. Roll of 7=2X on the direct fire table. The unit gets picked off the tank and ripped to shreds by the machine gunner! surprise

The trailing infantry attempts to follow the tank up the slope, but find themselves out in the open before a 6b AT gun and some British Mechanized infantry OP Firing from 3810. -1 dice roll modifier for OP fire on Infantry; +1 because of height disadvantage. The roll is a true roll of a 5, under the 2:1 (10 combined attack:5 defense) column, they suffer DD= spent/disrupted

Brits draw- British Op1- and pass.

Germans draw- Germans Op0- activating the two panzer grenadiers who witnessed their tank comrades mercilessly blown up in front of them at 3413-
Using road bonus movement one infantry moves past the tank that just joined them and closes in to one hex away from the heavily defended buildings on the hill above Eterville where the defiant AT Gun and MG are mowing the Germans down.. OP FIRE from both unspent units at 3610 and 3710. Both mechanized infantry. 14:5 or reduced to 2:1. -1 DRM for op fire on infantry, -1 for unit using road bonues, -1 for half or more units being within a range of 1. Die roll of 11. 11-3=8 on DFT= D. The unit becomes disrupted. The other infantry quickly moves in the same fashion to back up his now disrupted comrade unit. All Brits with a LOS are now spent and unable to Op fire.

Germans draw- German OP0- activating Pz Gren. at 3314. They Forward Observe and request artillery to bombard with High Explosives the heavily defended buildings at the edge of the hill above Eterville. Marked No Move. Now that the Germans have infantry within a hex of these units they will be spotted!

Brits draw- British Op0 and Pass.

Last chit (german) is unused.

Admin Phase
Artillery is now resolved. Accuracy determined with roll -1 DRM because its same hex as last turn. A 7 is rolled- Yes, on target! 2:1 ratio on exposed non-improved position mechanized infantry; a 7 is rolled but because of the +2 (town defense) there is no effect.
2:1 ratio on the AntiTank Gun; a 7 rolled but with +3 in modifiers (town and improved position) on. No effect. Lastly, 2:1 on Improved Postition-Machine Gun unit. (+3 in modifiers)- 10 is rolled. Nada. Artillery is really sucking it up today, much to the happiness of the British. or soblue (depending on which side I'm rooting for- playing solo, I have become attached to both of them)

Admin segment continues- Spent counters are removed. Spent/Disrupted which are the result from combat are replaced for just disrupted.

Turn 3-
This is their day, Brits get to strike first.
British OP1- is pulled activating at 3610.
Direct fire from all units at 3610 and the Mech. Infantry at 3710. The MG and the Mech Infantry at 3610 open up on the adjacent disrupted Panzer Grenadier (alone). The AT gun is to op fire on the Panzer down the road. The Mech. Inf. at 3710 open up on the previously disrupted Germans at 3713.

The Battle Continues...
Stay Tuned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germans getting entirely whupped. So riding on tanks panned out badly, and general alround difficulty attacking across unfavourable terrain.

Nice write up, definately helps to see the flow of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, playing through the game definitely weaves a pretty cool narrative of conflict. I can't wait to get this game with an opponent.

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent AAR. Thannk you !

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Agree that it is a nice read. Didn't understand the impact of night rules in this scenario untill now, adding +4 drm to resolution makes huge difference for the defender.

Noticed that the infantry jumped on the tanks during play. I was wondering if it is also allowed to have them on tanks during set-up. Not that it made a big difference in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall reading anything like that in the rules. The scenario tells you how many of what units to place in certain parts of the board. This scenario for example constrained the British to be within 3 hexes of Eterville with no more than one full strength Mech. Infantry per hex (it starts you off with one reduced platoon as well as an MG crew and two AT guns). The Germans have to begin their assault to the south anywhere on the 14th or 15th row of hexes (staying in the play area determined by the scenario boundaries).

The rules do specify that it costs half of the tanks' or carrier units' movement allowance to load/unload an infantry unit so I would assume that it would be against the rules to load them up before the game even starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the use of the OP chits is very clever. One of the things I wrestled with in the World at War system were headquarters, their command range, and how to keep the enemy from picking on them. I think we came up with some good solutions, but PB2's OP chits take a different approach. I think it's creative. Good job on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
dandechino wrote:
Artillery (high explosives only AT10, AP7 as per scenario rules for offboard 88mm guns) is resolved. Due to Improved Position +1 (for the two units within: Machine Gun and AT Gun), Unspotted +4, and town +2, even though the artillery was determined to be accurate it was obviously a waste of time.

The Unspotted modifier (+4) only applies to DF, not IF. That's what makes it so useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
dandechino wrote:
Artillery (high explosives only AT10, AP7 as per scenario rules for offboard 88mm guns) is resolved. Due to Improved Position +1 (for the two units within: Machine Gun and AT Gun), Unspotted +4, and town +2, even though the artillery was determined to be accurate it was obviously a waste of time.

The Unspotted modifier (+4) only applies to DF, not IF. That's what makes it so useful!

Where do you read that in the rules? I don't see an exception for IF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
elbmc1969 wrote:
dandechino wrote:

There isn't one. IF is resolved as DF, except where it specifically isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
ioticus wrote:
elbmc1969 wrote:
dandechino wrote:

There isn't one. IF is resolved as DF, except where it specifically isn't.

So how do you know unspotted +4 doesn't apply to IF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to read too much into 11.1.2(a), which states: "...but any enemy units in the target hex don’t necessarily have to be Spotted."

In 11.3.2 Resolution, you will note that it says:

Quote:
"The hex with the AR marker is now attacked with IF, and the attack strength is applied separately, with its own dice roll, against each unit in the target hex using the Anti-Personnel or Anti-Tank Combat Procedures."

Stating that the AP and AT procedures are used is just a more specific way of stating that DF procedures are followed for resolution, but against each target in the hex according to what type it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
You'd have to read too much into 11.1.2(a), which states: "...but any enemy units in the target hex don’t necessarily have to be Spotted."

Quote:
"The hex with the AR marker is now attacked with IF, and the attack strength is applied separately, with its own dice roll, against each unit in the target hex using the Anti-Personnel or Anti-Tank Combat Procedures."

Stating that the AP and AT procedures are used is just a more specific way of stating that DF procedures are followed for resolution, but against each target in the hex according to what type it is.

I understand the rules you quoted above, and I see nothing in the rules you quoted which preclude the unspotted modifier for IF. I'm asking where in the rules does it state that IF is an exception?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

Quote:

I understand the rules you quoted above, and I see nothing in the rules you quoted which preclude the unspotted modifier for IF. I'm asking where in the rules does it state that IF is an exception?

So you're speaking to the OP? Sorry. I'm thinking he won't have an answer to that. I've been surprised before, but I'm pretty sure the modifier applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
ioticus wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

Quote:

So you're speaking to the OP? Sorry. I'm thinking he won't have an answer to that. I've been surprised before, but I'm pretty sure the modifier applies.

I was asking Ethan above why he thinks the modifier does not apply to IF. I thought you were in agreement with him. So you agree with me that the modifier does apply to IF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:
ioticus wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

Quote:

I was asking Ethan above why he thinks the modifier does not apply to IF. I thought you were in agreement with him. So you agree with me that the modifier does apply to IF?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
I conclude that I misunderstood the modifiers table.

Ah, well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Avants
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR Daniel. Keep it coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.