Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone playing more Pandemic since the swine flu hit?
Less?
About the same?
Does the news add to the game, or does it hit a little too close to home?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bigger news is the up-and-coming awesomely awesome expansion: Pandemic: On the Brink! So get your game out and play it...before the purple disease finds you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a similar discussion in the general forum of the expansion. Look there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
newsguy wrote:
Less?
About the same?

Maybe you should ask some of the families who have dead children and relatives due to the swine flu, or do you think that might be in poor taste?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:
Maybe you should ask some of the families who have dead children and relatives due to the swine flu, or do you think that might be in poor taste?

Yes, let's not ever make games about anything where real people have died: Agricola, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Twilight Struggle, Through the Ages......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
ekted wrote:
biggreen wrote:

Yes, let's not ever make games about anything where real people have died: Agricola, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Twilight Struggle, Through the Ages......

Or let's all wonder why when BGG discusses violent themes in pop culture we get all bent out of shape but it's alright to make lite of an emerging disease that has killed over a 100 people and is crippling a countries economy and can only worsen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*grabs his bag of popcorn and leans a little closer to the monitor*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:
Or let's all wonder why when BGG discusses violent themes in pop culture we get all bent out of shape but it's alright to make lite of an emerging disease that has killed over a 100 people and is crippling a countries economy and can only worsen.

You own Tide of Iron which is a WW II themed wargame. Millions died in that but you don't seem to mind playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:
ekted wrote:
biggreen wrote:

Okay, let's look at things here. In the US alone, an average of 36,000 people per year die from the flu. Not swine flu - or more properly H1N1 Type A - but 'regular' everyday flu. From January 1 to April 18, no fewer than 800 people per week in the US died from flu related illness. But you didn't see anyone complaining about Pandemic then.

The news media has brought this to the forefront. And although the WHO is talking about a pandemic that should not preclude people from enjoying a game IMHO.

This isn't a game that came about BECAUSE of this outbreak. It was here long before and will be here long after. And the repeated appearance of the word pandemic in the media might get some people thinking about the game.

Does that make it bad? Is it disrespectful to people who have died from this strain (or any other)? Absolutely not. And for you to imply otherwise - or to equate this with violent themes in pop culture is ludicrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
scoutmom wrote:
biggreen wrote:
ekted wrote:
biggreen wrote:

Okay, let's look at things here. In the US alone, an average of 36,000 people per year die from the flu. Not swine flu - or more properly H1N1 Type A - but 'regular' everyday flu. From January 1 to April 18, no fewer than 800 people per week in the US died from flu related illness. But you didn't see anyone complaining about Pandemic then.

The news media has brought this to the forefront. And although the WHO is talking about a pandemic that should not preclude people from enjoying a game IMHO.

This isn't a game that came about BECAUSE of this outbreak. It was here long before and will be here long after. And the repeated appearance of the word pandemic in the media might get some people thinking about the game.

Does that make it bad? Is it disrespectful to people who have died from this strain (or any other)? Absolutely not. And for you to imply otherwise - or to equate this with violent themes in pop culture is ludicrous.

You greatly misunderstand the point of my post. I have no problems with Pandemic, the game looks awesome. I will likely buy it at some point. What I find in poor taste is creating a thread ( in the general gaming at the time) that makes lite of a topic that is deeply effecting a lot of people right now as we speak. My concern is for the families of those who have had members die in the last few months from something that is no joke. I find the topic in poor taste at best, but who am I, carry on with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Lau
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I d o not see the OP is making any fun out of it.

There was SARS in my home city 6 years ago. I was glad that when Pandemic was released, Hong Kong was one of the cities there. This reminded my kids, then 4-yo and under what had happen when we played it.

Today I were in Bay Area, CA and one of our colleague was sick, I handed him a mask and I wore one. There was no shame in it. It is a sign of being responsive to you, your loved ones and your country.

I am now at the airport and the first thing I do after home is to wear a mask for 7 days and PLAY Pandemic with my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason at all to be upset. Pandemic is not a game about the swine flu, or any flu at all for that matter. It is a game about 4 nameless diseases, not anything in particular. It is very "generic."

It's also not sending any message that disease are okay, aside from maybe the fact that the upcoming expansion has a bio terrorist role. I don't see how that relates at all to the swine flu though.

Let's look at Monopoly. The goal of the game is to avoid bankruptcy. The way the economy is going, that might hit close to home for some people. But I don't think people are going to start shunning Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:

What I find in poor taste is creating a thread ( in the general gaming at the time) that makes lite of a topic that is deeply effecting a lot of people right now as we speak. My concern is for the families of those who have had members die in the last few months from something that is no joke. I find the topic in poor taste at best, but who am I, carry on with it.

Des don't forget that many of us play our games for the fun and the learning experience.

Pandemic is a fine way to achieve both across a very unique subject.

It would be interesting to explore the implications of a politcal/media hype/bureaucratic/big-pharma element in a game like this too. Maybe with another future expansion.

Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You greatly misunderstand the point of my post. I have no problems with Pandemic, the game looks awesome. I will likely buy it at some point. What I find in poor taste is creating a thread ( in the general gaming at the time) that makes lite of a topic that is deeply effecting a lot of people right now as we speak. My concern is for the families of those who have had members die in the last few months from something that is no joke. I find the topic in poor taste at best, but who am I, carry on with it.

How can you say the topic was in poor taste?

Quote:
Less?
About the same?

The OP simply asked if the current situation was affecting anyone's play. In fact, he even asked if it was hitting too close to home. In no way did he make light of the situation. Yes, he asked if it added to the game. IMO it actually does; in fact when I played this on Sunday our conversation was full of discussion of the current situation.

I would like to understand how you feel the question asked was in any way disrespectful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
scoutmom wrote:

I would like to understand how you feel the question asked was in any way disrespectful.

Okay, think of it this way. Let's pretend that the parents of the toddler that died in the states ( to help make it closer to home) was a regular user on this site. Would you still think it fine to post that question on the main page for them to see or would that be in poor taste? IMO it's in poor taste,It certainly trivializes the situation in my eyes, maybe not in yours. Should this mean anyone shouldn;t play and enjoy Pandemic, obviously not.

But since we are posting topics regardless of taste let me have one that is related. "If you had a child or family member that got struck down by this flu and died would it make Pandemic a better or worse game? I bet it would be better, just think of the tension it would bring on game night,

Or how about a post like "To all the auto workers that have lost your jobs, has it affected what games you play, how much time you have to play them or how many new games you buy?" That's a good one too, right?

I hope for all of your sakes that no on close to you is struck down by this disease, forcing you to look back at this topic and wonder about the OPs question from a different point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:

(1) But since we are posting topics regardless of taste let me have one that is related. "If you had a child or family member that got struck down by this flu and died would it make Pandemic a better or worse game? I bet it would be better, just think of the tension it would bring on game night,

(2) Or how about a post like "To all the auto workers that have lost your jobs, has it affected what games you play, how much time you have to play them or how many new games you buy?" That's a good one too, right?

(3) I hope for all of your sakes that no on close to you is struck down by this disease, forcing you to look back at this topic and wonder about the OPs question from a different point of view.

Des I can see you post quite frequently at BGG.

Re your remark I've labelled (2). Not a bad taste question at all. In fact a great company called GMT recently asked unemployed gamers to contact them for their choice of a free game.

Re your remark I've labelled (1), to me it reeks of trolling.

Re your remark I've labelled (3) I don't think that anybody here needs to look back in shame. I mean you've started a thread yourself elsewhere suggesting that dumb players are "retarded". Bit of an insult to the intellectually disabled, no?

As for me? It's only because of the current Flu situation that I've researched this game deeply and will be buying it tomorrow. Sure I'm a bit concerned about possible defects in components but I can't wait to get playing. It was actually recommended to me by my game shop 2 weeks ago and I shrugged it away. No interest for me then. Very interested now.

Happy gaming.

Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey, thanks for researching all my posts, you must have a fair amount of time on your hands, I can't say the same about myself so I won't bother checking you out. You'll have to forgive me. The "dumb" players in my post was in regards to me and my friends. That comment wasn't offensive to anyone other than me and my friends and we are fine with it. It would be no less offensive if I had asked if we were "stupid", or "delayed"-(FYI the official definition of retarded, not the slang term most common) or your politically correct "intellectually challenged".

Say what you will, but I don't believe for 1 minute that if you actually knew someone in real life who had lost a family member to this emerging disease that you would relate your new found interest in the game Pandemic to them as an aside. It's common courtesy IMO. Either way, I made my point, go ahead and disagree, I couldn't care less. This is a forum and I've said my piece, so carry on then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1991, some Pentagon guys quickly found Gulf Strike - designed a few years earlier with good information about the then newly formated Rapid Deployment Force - urgently invited the designer Mark Herman, and played quite a few games (possibly improved in-house) to better see the options... The game was a reasonably good synthesis of *some* aspects, still other important ones ignored or heavily fudged.

The same with Pandemic: what of the game play is relevant (or not) for the current world health situation, as action options, constraints and consequences for the decision makers ? what modifications could be relevant ? how much the overall behaviour of populations matter (mobility, business activity etc) ? would it be relevant to model Evolution itself as an active player on the side of the virus ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.