Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Gunar
United States
Ringwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know a lot of people like to complain about the rules not being available on-line, and I happen to be one of those people who likes it when they are. It is especially useful when you are lining up a game with someone who has not played before and you want to make sure they have a chance to read the rules beforehand.

That said, I own the following games made by Adam:

A Victory Lost
Warriors of God
Devil's Cauldron
AMDT

I have never been disappointed. In fact, I own a second copy of two of the games because I play them so frequently and I don't want to end up losing pieces and being SOL. There may have been some corrections and errata, but I don't recall any.

So, if you are worried about what is "under the hood," stop worrying.

I have not yet been able to play AMDT, but I have looked through the rules. As usual, there are plenty of examples to illustrate the rules and I have not had any "huh?" moments.

Overall, I probably know more than the average wargaming about this historical period, but that isn't saying much. It's a fascinating period involving plenty of philosophy, intrigue, carnage and chaos - which are all near and dear to my heart.

If you want to get a sense of the historical flavor before playing, grab the movie Ran (which is Japanese for "chaos"). It is loosely based on King Lear, but set in Japan during the Sengoku period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth, my man, what's wrong with Fire in the Sky, Red Star Rising, Warriors of God, Storm over Stalingrad, Rage Against the Marines - and, jeez, even the freebie Target Arnhem?

Just kidding - thanks so much for the support. I do really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameWhore wrote:

If you want to get a sense of the historical flavor before playing, grab the movie Ran (which is Japanese for "chaos"). It is loosely based on King Lear, but set in Japan during the Sengoku period.

I will say the story is not relevant to any Sengoku period history.
If you prefer Akira Kurosawa's movie about the real Sengoku period in this game, you need to watch Kagemusha (Shadow Warrior). It's the best historical movie of Sengoku period (1572-1575).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was dissapointed in one of Adam's games. Red Star Rising is borderline broken. Well, technically he isn't the designer, but he was the developer and shares equal fault with the insuffcient play-testing put into that product. It only took us a few plays to reviel the flaw that ruined the game (ie broken down Panzer units pushing through the lines, and causing whole fronts to evaporate).

That being said, I own several other of his games - AMDT, Warrior's of God, and Devil's Cauldron, and I think highly enough of him that I will continue to buy products he works on. I have several of his games on preorder.

As far as the online rules thing - I think MMP is sometimes reluctant to put them online in order to protect themselves from piracy. MMP allows Vassal modules to be made for their games. In fact they often provide the original artwork. If they published their rules online, their sales will suffer (or so goes the theory). I think its reasonable, and I much prefer having Vassal modules available. Some manufacturers won't allow vassal modules (Decision games), and I am reluctant to buy their products because of it. My impression is that MMP will eventually publish the rules online once stock is depleted, and they have no plans for reprints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry you were disappointed in RSR, Daniel.

But I will disagree with you on one thing, it is certainly the developer's job to make sure a game isn't broken.

I don't think RSR is but if you think so, I am the one you should lay blame on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gunar
United States
Ringwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
Seth, my man, what's wrong with Fire in the Sky, Red Star Rising, Warriors of God, Storm over Stalingrad, Rage Against the Marines - and, jeez, even the freebie Target Arnhem?

Just kidding - thanks so much for the support. I do really appreciate it.

Sorry, well, I did list Warriors of God, but I do also own Fire in the Sky, and Rage Against the Marines. Forgot about em.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Boyo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

While I agree with you both that Kagemusha and Ran are both outstanding movies, I must disagree that either is the ultimate picture of Sengoku Jidai.

For that I would recommend "Ten to Chi to", or in English..."Heaven and Earth":

http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Earth-VHS-Takaaki-Enoki/dp/6302...

silvanus321 wrote:
GameWhore wrote:

I will say the story is not relevant to any Sengoku period history.
If you prefer Akira Kurosawa's movie about the real Sengoku period in this game, you need to watch Kagemusha (Shadow Warrior). It's the best historical movie of Sengoku period (1572-1575).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heaven and Earth is a good movie to watch if you want to play Kawanakajima 1561, since the background history of the movie is in 1561. That's the battle between Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin, and nothing about Oda Nobunaga.

However, in AMDT, the battles between Oda Nobunaga and the first anti-Nobunaga alliance started in 1570 and that's why I recommend Shadow Warrior instead of Heaven and Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.