Popular Tags: [View All]
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Union vs Central was reprinted via tha Winsome Games -- P100 review requests geeklist. The old entry has been removed and a new entry added for a future reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Union vs Central was reprinted via tha Winsome Games -- P100 review requests geeklist. The old entry has been removed and a new entry added for a future reprint.

If you thumbed it and did not get an email from winsome@fyi.net about it on April 30, 2009, then check your spam folder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any production differences from the previous edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DaviddesJ wrote:

Yes, but my impression is that they are not substantive, merely cosmetic. eg use of dice instead of chits for certain markers. I don't know the details of the previous edition in order to provide a good comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Yes, but my impression is that they are not substantive, merely cosmetic. eg use of dice instead of chits for certain markers. I don't know the details of the previous edition in order to provide a good comparison.

If you have the new edition, I will bring my old edition sometime so you can do a side by side comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DaviddesJ wrote:
If you have the new edition, I will bring my old edition sometime so you can do a side by side comparison.

I should have the new edition within the next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

The game itself is unchanged, but some bits are improved.

Instead of counters for Coal, Steel, Workers, Water, Food and Lumber, we special ordered colored micro-dice that don't obscure the info on the cards. 96 microdice are supplied, 16 of each color: black Coal, white Steel, red Workers, blue Water, yellow Food and green Lumber.
The new Goods dice streamline play a bit, no searching for counters to make change when you build settlements, send off trains, etc.

We have made the rules a larger, more easily read font and are including 2 sets of rules. With such a long involved game we want both players to have ready reference to all the History card details.

We are also including the Optional Rules with the game.

We are using the now standard Winsome box instead of the old small plastic box.

The 180 cards (2 identical decks in 2 different colors) are the same, but we have put the title and the author's name on the back.

This printing is limited as the cost of the microdice was a killer. I did not expect that tiny dice would cost so much more than regular dice. Ouch!

Please note that this is the 5th printing since 1999.
1) The original 60 games came in a white box
2) Another printing came in the small plastic box with plastic chips and stickers for the Goods
3) Another printing came in a ziplock bag and you had to cut everything yourself.
4) the 4th printing came in the small plastic box with counters for the Goods

I have used the 4th printing bits as the basis for this discussion of the differences, because it was the most recent (2003?).

John
winsome@fyi.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. I've got version #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I see. I've got version #2.

Having looked looked at my records, that would be the most common version, 110 units made in 2000. So many chips piled up on the settlement cards, I included special Settlement displays in the 2003 counter based printing. The microdice alleviate that difficulty nicely.

I should mention to non-train gamers that they do not want this game. This is a 8-16 hour train gamer's train game, simply a masterpiece by the brilliant train game designer, Dieter Danziger. It is at the opposite end of the time/complexity scale from Chicago Express, folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ouch. That's one looong train game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manhattandoctor wrote:
Can you comment on the card quality?

Double sided, multi use, B/W, 2.5" square 110lb index stock (buff & blue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
Ouch. That's one looong train game.

You have no idea... I can't believe I actually played it twice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As with all things Winsome, I'm curious but don't have a game group here to try it out with me. :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
As with all things Winsome, I'm always morbidly curious but don't have a game group here to try it out with me. :-(

What? You're wife isn't interested in playing an 8 - 16 hr train-gamers train game?!

...yeah neither is mine... but I've already begun talking about the game to her in her sleep... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my humble opinion, UvC is a terrific game -- my very favorite two-player game, in fact! I've taught it to about eight people so far, and everyone has shared my opinion (yes, even my wife). You do need two people who love train games and are willing to spend quite a few hours playing a game which can be extremely brutal and unforgiving. My advice is: Get it while you can!

I already own two copies of the fourth edition (because I might want to play a super sadistic, 32-track marathon some year when I have nothing else to do), and my copy of the new one is on its way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce Linsey wrote:
because I might want to play a super sadistic, 32-track marathon some year when I have nothing else to do

psh. The 32-track "marathon" is for all those people looking for a "filler" game. You've got the parts/rules options for a "somewhat-heavier" 48-track game (snails over the Rockies!),

I await the session report! The game shouldn't take much longer than..oh...a week to play? Straight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rockusultimus wrote:
What? You're wife isn't interested in playing an 8 - 16 hr train-gamers train game?!

...yeah neither is mine... but I've already begun talking about the game to her in her sleep... ninja

Very sneaky, Costas! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.