European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I pick my own movement cards?
Hi!

Thanks for choosing the game!

1. Each player takes a maneuvre deck for each plane he uses (it may be one polane each or more). At the start of each turn he secretly chooses three cards from it and puts them face down on the consolle (or on the table), in the order he wants, for the three phases of the turn, not showing them to anybody. Only limits: no two steep in a row, and put a long straight before an Immelmann and one after.

2. When everybody is finished, everybody reveals the first cart, moves with it, fires. Then put back the card in the maneuvre deck, to be available in the next planning.

3. Then everybody reveals the second cart, moves with it, fires. Then put back the card in the maneuvre deck.

4. Then everybody reveals the third cart, moves with it, fires. Then put back the card in the maneuvre deck.

5. Now the deck is complete again. Each player secretly takes three cards and puts them on the consolle (or on the table), in the order he wants, for the three phases of the next turn, with the usual limit. Start again from 2. above.

All the best!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book actually covers both questions. It's usually a good idea to at least glance inside.

Not mentioned in the rulebook but all over this thread are references to the 2 other boxes and 4 other "booster" packs, which will provide additional planes and maneuver decks.

For the base game--which you have-- I'd recommend 2 boosters. Buy either, or buy both!

Recon Patrol will give you a "generic" deck and some 2 seaters for both sides. Adding a 2 seater to scenarios can make them much more interesting.

Also included is another "D" deck and some more triplanes. This means you can fly both a Sopwith Triplane and a Fokker Triplane in the same scenario. (Never mind the history-- never happened-- but it's fun.) Right now in FA, you can only fly one of these planes-- and probably fly the Fokker because you need a second German.

Further, the generic 2 seater deck is not a lot different than the D deck-- speed is similar. By removing the "fancy" maneuvers from the D deck, you can create a second 2 seater deck- meaning you could fly 2 (or even 3) 2 seaters in a scenario against fighters.

The other booster to recommend is "Top Fighters," which will add the Fokker D7 (highly desired) and Sopwith Snipe to your collection. This will give you 6 good fighters and allow for some handicapping-- giving weaker, less experienced players the D7 or Snipe will give them a stronger plane to offset your greater experience.

The other currently available boosters are "Dogfight," which adds an Se5 and a little used Siemens Schuckert. The Se is great to have, but the planes in Top Fighters are a little more common/useful to the balance of the game.

The other booster is "Immelmann," which includes 3 "early" warplanes. It is a nice addition to some of the planes in Watch your Back, but is probably something for you to save for later.

So read those rules-- there are probably other things you'll find useful. And enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the following help clarify things?

1) Each aircraft in play should have its own complete maneuver deck, matching the maneuver deck letter code for that aircraft.

2) A player chooses any three cards from his aircraft's maneuver deck at the beginning of each turn. The only constraints on the player's choices are that the rules for successive stall cards (the one with diamonds) and the straight-Immelman-straight sequence do carry over from turn to turn and must be observed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigBur wrote:

Right, and thanks for the response. If I have five different planes though, each one being played by a different person, then wouldn't at least two people have to share a deck? Like, let's say that the planes were:

Plane1: Deck A
Plane2: Deck B
Plane3: Deck C
Plane4: Deck D
Plane5: Deck A

Would the player with Plane1 and the player with Plane5 share the deck on each respective turn?

'Planes 1 and 5 should each use a separate copy of maneuver deck A, it should not be the same copy otherwise they would restrict each other's choice of movements (and the following player could figure out which card was missing).

You need an entire unshared maneuver deck per 'plane and it should match the letter on the aircraft card. As has been mentioned, to have large numbers of 'planes, you'll be wanting booster decks or additional boxed games.

The BGG articles on each of the games (or sometimes the reviews) cover the contents of each of the boxes and boosters if you're trying to figure out which one you need to buy to get certain decks.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you absolutely must play with 5 players using just the Famous Aces box, then it can be done, but you will have to do it by writing down the moves of the planes duplicating a maneuver deck. Both planes will have access to the full deck of maneuvers, but when actually making the moves they'll have to both use the same deck, and may have to take turns with the deck (if, for example, they both played an immelman on the same turn). The key point being that no pilot ever has his selection of available maneuvers reduced because another similar plane is in play. The game is playable, and scales to the full 23 planes included in the box, this way, but becomes exponentially more logistically challenging. You're better off just getting more maneuver decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigBur wrote:

Aye. Thank you Bruce. That's what I was trying to get at, and that's also what I figured Kevin was implying.

Thanks for answering my questions everybody - I'm sorry if I wasted your time.

The only people who are responsible for wasting our time is us, for choosing to post. It would be nice if you edited the subject to better cover what this thread was about so that other people with similar questions could find it more easily.

How about "How do I pick my maneuver cards, and can aircraft share decks?"

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This article
http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=1302
on this site
http://www.wingsofwar.it/list.asp
proposed the "written planning to share decks system", but it is also useful to get another deck: a H deck to fly the Ufag C.I promo card. So you can try a bombing scenario like "Raid over Istrana", adapting it to Famous Aces planes.

Another place to visit to get info, download stuff, look for other players, ask clarifications and more is the WoW Yahoo disdcussion group:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_nexus/

Thanks a lot for choosinmg WoW!

Andrea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club, C.H.

Fwiw, from the moment the first box (the one you have) came out, folks (like me) have been asking for more maneuver decks. (Andrea can probably tell you with a sigh how true that is!).

He said that they figured, rather than make the base game have MORE decks and a higher price, to keep it pretty good to start and expect maybe more than one person in a group to own a game. See-- 2 boxes and now you have 8 decks!

I understand the "share a deck and write down the maneuver number" thing may not be that satisfying, but you don't want to go where I think you were considering-- people "sharing" a deck by each taking about 1/2 the cards. No...that would be a bad thing!

So you have dupe boxes in potential, 2 more full boxes, 4 booster packs, and the 1/144th miniatures-- each of which comes with its own deck (which would not be useful for any of the other planes in your FA box of that type.)

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch your Back is a good next purchase. You'll get 2 more viable maneuver decks to mix with the ones you have in FA-- the "fast" 2 seaters mix well, and the Hanroit is a wonderful plane.

Having a "B" damage deck is a good addition as well, and still only available in this box.

Just to alert you ahead of time,
The N-11 and Halb D3 just do not "compete" with the other planes on anything like an even basis. They are still useful for games, though, for at least two easy reasons.

1. If you have an odd number of people, having weaker planes on the side with more people helps with balance.

2. Regardless of how many people you have, if it's a good game, there is a problem of what to do when someone gets shot down. While watching the others play can be okay, it's certainly not the same as participating. Yet, giving someone a "fresh" plane of equal ability now means an advantage for his side. Ah, but giving the recently fallen player one of these weaker, slower, doesn't-shoot-all-that-well planes is a nice balance. That player is still "in the game" but the opposition doesn't feel too overwhelmed by the addition (and they may need a replacement plane later themselves.)

(And later, when you keep expanding, these two planes are a good mix to the Immelmann booster.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am slightly confused about the words "turn", "round", "phase"

It says in the rulebook that there are 3 rounds in a turn, and 1 planning phase, 3 movement & firing phases in each round.

But other parts of the rulebook state that 3 "phases" occur in each "turn"

Things such as fire & smoke happen each turn, and when an engine is damaged, they must put one stall in each "turn" (does this mean once every 9 maneuvers cards placed?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each turn consists of secretly picking 3 maneuver cards and then executing the move + fire phase once for each card. Thus the one stall means on in each set of 3 cards secretly chosen.

The 3 phases referred are the 3 interesting move + fire ones, ie the execution of one previously chosen maneuver card for each player and then checking for firing.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Each turn consists of secretly picking 3 maneuver cards and then executing the move + fire phase once for each card. Thus the one stall means on in each set of 3 cards secretly chosen.

The 3 phases referred are the 3 interesting move + fire ones, ie the execution of one previously chosen maneuver card for each player and then checking for firing.

B>

Thanks,

That is the way I played it before, but I was re-reading the rulebook today and it said 3 rounds per turn and 3 maneuver/attack phases per round, which makes it sound like there are 9 maneuver/attack phases per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.