Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I declare an opponent, who doesn't have an active race on the board, my ally?

This could happen if I play before he does in the first round or in a future round just after he went in decline.

I think it is legal and his new race would not be able to attack my active race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Short
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how we've been playing. The rules say

"At the end of your turn, you may select one opponent whose Active race you did not attack this turn as your ally."

If they did not have an active race on the board then you did not attack them and can declare them your ally. You choose the opponent, not the race.

Diplomat is very strong in a two-player game unless it is against Ghouls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cj1582 wrote:
This is how we've been playing. The rules say

"At the end of your turn, you may select one opponent whose Active race you did not attack this turn as your ally."

If they did not have an active race on the board then you did not attack them and can declare them your ally. You choose the opponent, not the race.

Diplomat is very strong in a two-player game unless it is against Ghouls.

Sure is. My wife had diplomatic Ratmen last night to start the game. I grabbed Merchant Trolls as a defense of sorts. I spread out as far as I could and started building a lead, then she also spread out as far as she could with Ratmen then declined.....then destroyed me with a new race.

It was kind of funny, she nearly quit 4 turns into our first game. Thought the game was really stupid. Truth is, she'd never played it's type before and kept comparing it to Wizards Quest and how combat worked there. Anyway, she crushed me in game 3 of the evening with the above opening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm pretty close to declaring Diplomat to be "Underpowered". In my 8-10 games so far, it has been equivalent to "no power whatsoever" in 90-95% of the games. Admittedly, we don't play much 2-player.

A friend suggested the following wording simplification to make Diplomat more fun and more powerful:

At the end of your turn name a race that you did not
attack this turn. That race may not attack your Diplomat
race until the start of your next turn.

This would even allow you to name a race in decline (Ghouls) or in the queue of unchoosen races. This would give the power some more punch on those turns when everyone is in decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Code tags make posts annoyingly wide for small monitors - recommend quote tags be used instead.

2) Diplomat underpowered? Try Diplomatic Ratmen and encircle your opponent, forcing them to stay put or decline. Diplomatic Halflings protect one flank with holes in the ground and their other with diplomacy. Diplomacy has its merits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.