Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
In my early games, I was not afraid to pay up to $4 for that "special" race.

Now adays, on perhaps my 8th game, I severely begrudge to pay anything. I take the cheap race 60+% of the time, and haven't paid more than $2 in a very long time. My playmates make similar decisions, though my feeling is that they occassionally spend more.

If you only have a race active for 2 turns, paying $4 is Bad. You lose $4. Others gain $4. You'll have to recoup at least $5 over two turns to break even. It doesn't seem worth it in most cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Gentlemen, start your spreadsheets.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree...I'm here to play and have fun. And some races are most definitely worth it:

Stout ghouls...on-board, conquer, decline, and you've got 2 races next turn that are active.

Sorcerers...I was in a 2-player game vs. the elves, who were really annoying. I paid a princely sum for the Sorcerers just to be able to knock them out and force my wife to take a new race...a few turns of conversion and they weren't viable any more.

I'd say how much I'd pay for a race is highly situational...and I agree, I'll often take a cheap race just to get them on the board and decline them fairly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
2 turns? I played a 4-player game on Monday, started with Skeletons for 3 turns, then declined them and paid 4 for Sorcerers and rode that combo all the way to the end of the game and vistory. Now that was a good investment. It helped that my skeletons scored so poorly in the beginning that the other players were ignoring them and hitting each other. It was about turn 7, when they twigged that my skeletons alone were still scoring me 8 a turn. I was in no hurry to decline the powerful sorcerers whilst my skeletons were still doing so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
My last two 2-player games have been decided by less than the swing gained when I paid extra for a combo lower down the list, so I'm inclined to believe that taking the cheap races isn't all bad.

I think this effect is nullified to some extent with more players, which is where the lamentation of turn-order raises its head again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Pickles
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Given that it's not a very deep or long game I would pay to play a fun race rather than take a dull one with points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickles wrote:
Given that it's not a very deep or long game I would pay to play a fun race rather than take a dull one with points.

Good attitude. meeple

Dwarves seem to consistently rise to the cheapest spot with lots of victory coins piling up on them. I take it at the end of the game. I think my players need to wise up to the power of dwarves, and to avoid leaving any race piled up with coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with their propensity for hoarding gold, I still think a bump from 3 units to 4 units would go a long way to making them more savory. They still would be low man on the totem pole, but not to where it handicaps them so severely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Westerberg
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Stout ghouls...on-board, conquer, decline, and you've got 2 races next turn that are active.

For Stout Ghouls on the opening I would probably do plastic surgery on my ears arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor O'Keefe
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My group tends to be willing to pay for good races in the early and mid game, but yeah I've based decisions on having to pay 2 versus 4 occasionally. If you can get a solid race instead of a crappy one, it will definitely pay off for you quickly. Some example: Skeletons with anything. Sorcerers with anything if the game is conducive towards them. Elves with a decent ability. Ghouls if it's a first round pick.

Obviously as the game progresses things vary, and the last race is often picked for how many tokens it's picked up waiting, or explosive power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jfkoski
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually only pay 2 for something good. If Ghouls, Stout, or Spirit is there, I might get some coin back if I decline right away. I'd pay more for Commando Skeletons though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.