Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mayday games produces "euro sleeves" that fit large cards like for Dominion. There are the regular and the deluxe versions of the sleeves, with the deluxe being about double the price.

I'm very happy with other brands' sleeves (not the penny sleeves) such as Player's Choice or Max Protection. You know, the ones that sell for about 3 or 4 dollars for a pack of 50.

Can anyone comment on the difference between Mayday's deluxe and regular sleeves. Are the deluxe now up to par with the sleeves I have purchased in the past, or would I be satisfied with the regular sleeves? Or said differently, are the Mayday regular sleeves more like penny sleeves?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just purchased 600 of these from Mayday's British counterpart and have only praise for them. The thickness seems just about right for my Memoir'44 and BattleLore collections. Service was first class; they arrived two days after I ordered them.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the regular sleeves ARE penny sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let you know when I receive my premium sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like the penny sleeves as they are being called. *SHRUG* Figure it helps protect the cards so that's good enough. I don't sleeve all my games though only the ones where the decks are shuffled more than a few times a game, such as Dominion.

Does anyone know of a place that produced small sleeves for the small cards? There's a couple games I'd like to sleeve but the cards are shorties. Thanks. Guess I should add "In the states" as I really don't want to pay shipping from across the pond for sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
Does anyone know of a place that produced small sleeves for the small cards? There's a couple games I'd like to sleeve but the cards are shorties. Thanks. Guess I should add "In the states" as I really don't want to pay shipping from across the pond for sleeves.

You can pre-order the small penny sleeves from Mayday as well...I think I read where they'll be shipping by the end of May...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onstott
United States
Baton Rouge
United States
flag msg tools
isaacc wrote:

Mayday games produces "euro sleeves" that fit large cards like for Dominion. There are the regular and the deluxe versions of the sleeves, with the deluxe being about double the price.

I'm very happy with other brands' sleeves (not the penny sleeves) such as Player's Choice or Max Protection. You know, the ones that sell for about 3 or 4 dollars for a pack of 50.

Can anyone comment on the difference between Mayday's deluxe and regular sleeves. Are the deluxe now up to par with the sleeves I have purchased in the past, or would I be satisfied with the regular sleeves? Or said differently, are the Mayday regular sleeves more like penny sleeves?

Thanks.

So are you saying that you don't like the ones from Players Choice and Max Protection that are 4 bucks for 50? Are they no good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this thread.. the thick sleeves were released last week and all preorders have shipped so there should be quite a few gamers with new sleeves on their Dominion to check it out. Having said that, after all the clamor for the thicker sleeves, they have NOT been as popular as the standard sleeves. It seems quite a few people demanded thicker sleeves but when it came right down to it they either changed their minds or were just kidding

Anyway, on to the specifics. I have posted an initial review of the thicker ones at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/384715

Here it is again:

I sleeved my own personal copy of Dominion with thick sleeves tonight. After putting the Premium Sleeves on I have to say I really like the feel of the cards and the extra protection, and the cards seem easier to shuffle for me than with the standard sleeves, at least so far. I did some checking and fit as much as I could into the slots based on the middle insert print off that most everyone uses. Here is what I could NOT fit:

1) 6 Gold
2) 6 Curse Cards
3) 10 Silver
4) 20 Copper

I didn't STUFF the cards in there until I absolutely couldn't fit another card, I stopped stuffing when there was very much resistance to the point that I felt the cards were getting to smashed. I know thats subjective but I can get everything in and out in the right slots except for the above cards. So what do you do?

1) I took out the "Blanks" and used that slot to house 6 Gold and 6 Curse cards (#1 and #2 above solved)

2) I took the 10 Silver Cards and put them behind the Trash card, #3 above solved.

3) For the copper you could put them in the center slot if you wanted but it would be loose and pretty lame. I personally have played at least 200 games with sleeves and have yet to bother using the placeholder cards. We just make up games based on what we feel like. Yesterday we played with only a few 4 gold cost cards, all the 5 cost cards and the Adventurer (6 cost). It was a blast. But I digress...

OK, so I personally took the placeholders out of the box. I never use them myself and the space was perfect for the 20 copper. I have never sleeved the placeholders or the blanks, I never touch them so whats the point? Instead I used the extra sleeves I had and used them on the Major Improvements, Turn Stage Cards, Begging and Order Guide cards from Agricola.

Just to let you know, there is a coupon in all of the new copies of Dominion, it is a discount for the sleeves through www.maydaygames.com. Also yes the mini sleeves production run is finishing up this week and shipping to us ASAP so we expect those in around the end of May.

The Euro Sleeves and Premium sleeves are both in stock but are selling quickly. We expect both to be sold out again in couple of weeks at the rate we are shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both Mayday sleeves are great! I just sleeved Dominion with premium sleeves and really like the heft they give the cards. If you want to stiffen up the cards a bit, the premiums are great. The cards also seem to fit a little more tightly in the premium sleeves, although I haven't had any problems with cards slipping out of the penny sleeves to start with. I used penny sleeves on my pasted up Perry Rhodan to prevent the paste-ups from catching when I shuffle.

My only beef with the premium sleeves is that every once in a while there's a pack that was cut noticeably longer than the others, and the material in those packs was also noticeably slicker than the typical premium sleeves. The material in those packs is still good, but it would be nice if the material and size was consistent throughout. The difference is enough where I'd be able to tell the difference by touch if I shuffled the two different "types" of premium sleeves together, but visually it's tough to see the difference. I didn't have that problem with the penny sleeves.

At any rate, I'd recommend both products highly. They fit snug and will both do the trick to protect your cards just like a sleeve should. I'll probably use the penny sleeves for games that I need to translate and paste-up, and the premiums for games like Dominion where the cards are shuffled and handled a lot and I want to add some extra rigidity to the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Seth, when you run out in a couple of weeks, is Mayday Games going to run another production run, or is that it for a while? I haven't purchased Dominion yet but I plan to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad,

The sleeves should all be uniform in length and texture, if you have a bad set or two please email maydaygames@gmail.com and let us know how many of your packs are bad and your order # or retailer/online store you got it through and we will send out replacements.

Isaacc, as to the production, we already have another batch of standard sleeves finishing up and hope for a restock around the end of May.

We will run another batch of the thicker sleeves later this month to keep them in stock too. We expect that with new games such as Dominion Intrigue coming out that there will be a lot of people wanting to pick up a few more packs. Great review by the way, its details like these that people need to know.

isaacc wrote:

Seth, when you run out in a couple of weeks, is Mayday Games going to run another production run, or is that it for a while? I haven't purchased Dominion yet but I plan to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swain Voorman
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to chime in about the regular sleeves as well. I knew that I was going to play the crap out of Dominion now that I have plenty of people interested in playing. The regular sleeves work great, don't add much thickness to the cards, and makes it much easier to shuffle. You do have to shuffle the cards around a tiny bit in the case but I moved extra copper, silver, gold and curses to behind the blanks. No biggie. A huge recommendation for these sleeves as you won't have to worry about terrible shufflers (like myself)!!

Oh, and shipping is crazy fast! Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved Le Havre with the regular sleeves and they work great for that. I tried to shuffle them and it didn't work so well so I am waiting for the deluxe to sleeve any of my cards that require significant shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.