Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Where's the love for Beck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In all the music threads I've read here, I rarely see any mention or recommendation for Beck. It's puzzling, considering the eclectic tastes of the music lovers inhabiting this forum. Is he too eclectic? Did he peak in the 90's? How do you think he compares to others in his generation?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There has never been any musical act better than Beck. Many are just as good, but none have ever been better.

(Is that sufficiently loving? I don't know if I entirely believe it, but I was just working to give you that which you seemed to desire.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Is he too eclectic?


Huh? As in, his (Beck's) tastes are eclectic? Or, that he crosses genres? I think you are using the word wrong.

Sinister Dexter wrote:
Did he peak in the 90's? How do you think he compares to others in his generation?


He's a great songwriter. Odelay and Mutations are my favorites...

I own: Golden Feelings, Western Harvest Field by Moonlight (bootlegged, not sure if it is available now?), Stereopathetic Soulmanure, One Foot in the Grave, Mellow Gold, Odelay (the 2CD Import), Mutations (CD and vinyl), Midnite Vultures & Sea Change.

I also have EVERY single / EP up until and including those from Midnite Vultures. Not sure how many off the top of my head, but there are at least 24... non-album B-sides, remixes, soundtrack cuts. It's absurd because with some of them all the tracks are on other singles.

I've seen him live twice... you could say I am a fan, but I have not kept up with his last three releases and I must say I have not listened to any of his recordings in quite some time... I don't think I have spun any beck since I actually bought the Sea Change album ~ 2002.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He's a very, very talented guy. I like Midnite Vultures the best. My brother thinks it's a hip-hop novelty record, but he's wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beck rocks. I only dig about 1 out of any 3 songs of his I hear, but that's his style, right. Have you heard Timebomb? Rock. Guero had many good tunes, like E-Pro and Girl, I haven't yet heard anything off of his newest that's made me want to get it.

My favorite song by him is probably, Jackass. Although, a close second of course is Loser. I know it's pretty much overplayed, but it's from my college days, and it is a damn good song.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own six of his discs. I thought Odelay and Sea Change were both brilliant in parts. I find that I don't have any interest in listening to his stuff repeatedly. A track here or there every couple of months is more than enough for me. Can't put my finger on why.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Sea Changes. I might pick it up used one day if it is cheap enough and there is nothing better in the store. Once Foot in the Grave is pretty good, but that is mostly because I like Calvin Johnson.

Sometimes I don't mind when his music is on.

I always thought that The Beta Band The Three Eps did everything that Beck intended to do better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
Crazy with the Cheez-Whiz.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
I like Sea Changes. I might pick it up used one day if it is cheap enough and there is nothing better in the store. Once Foot in the Grave is pretty good, but that is mostly because I like Calvin Johnson.

Sometimes I don't mind when his music is on.

I always thought that The Beta Band The Three Eps did everything that Beck intended to do better.


I like what The Beta Band is trying to do, but they end up annoying me more than Beck typically does. Might be the lead vocalist. Also, they have no sense of when a song is over, dead, done, wrap it up, fade to black.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:

I like what The Beta Band is trying to do, but they end up annoying me more than Beck typically does. Might be the lead vocalist. Also, they have no sense of when a song is over, dead, done, wrap it up, fade to black.


After the The Three Eps I didn't really like their stuff so much, but I think that release is brilliant (5/5). I feel that after that all of their side projects are far more interesting than anything BB did as a group (King Biscuit Time, Lone Pigeon, and The Aliens).

That said, I like long songs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beck is currently my favorite artist (although Modern Guilt is an average album). I believe that Sea Change and Midnight Vultures are his top two albums. Nary a bad song on either of them.

This video for Hell Yes gives me shivers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beck was the first concert I ever went to (Jan 1997). He was also born exactly 10 years before me. Quick, find a way to connect those facts!

I currently own all of his albums (including Golden Feelings and Western Harvest Field By Moonlight) except for Midnite Vultures. I dunno, I just never figured that album out. I'm not against giving it a shot in the future, but it was too much for me at the time.

I like Sea Change best, but am also quite fond of Mutations and One Foot in the Grave (fun fact: Tom Petty covered "Asshole" on the She's the One soundtrack).

I don't think people talk about him much because his recent output, while good, is not up to his standards. I think Modern Guilt is a solid album, but well below Beck's potential.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He's a Scientologist.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew that would come up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:
I knew that would come up.


I know it doesn't have anything to do with his music, but it may be why people aren't as excited about him as much anymore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
e.e.goings wrote:
I knew that would come up.


I know it doesn't have anything to do with his music, but it may be why people aren't as excited about him as much anymore.


Who the eff cares? It's not like he's giving us a free stress test in the subway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
sisteray wrote:
e.e.goings wrote:
I knew that would come up.


I know it doesn't have anything to do with his music, but it may be why people aren't as excited about him as much anymore.


Who the eff cares? It's not like he's giving us a free stress test in the subway.


Believe it or not, many people follow musicians based on their persona as much as their music.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
sisteray wrote:
e.e.goings wrote:
I knew that would come up.


I know it doesn't have anything to do with his music, but it may be why people aren't as excited about him as much anymore.


Who the eff cares? It's not like he's giving us a free stress test in the subway.


You don't know that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's uncredited, but Beck did the soundtrack for Battlefield Earth.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Beck. I used to call him the white Prince, but after The Information, I started calling Prince the black Beck.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
space is the place
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
erak wrote:
sisteray wrote:
e.e.goings wrote:
I knew that would come up.


I know it doesn't have anything to do with his music, but it may be why people aren't as excited about him as much anymore.


Who the eff cares? It's not like he's giving us a free stress test in the subway.


Believe it or not, many people follow musicians based on their persona as much as their music.


Funny you say that. I had already kinda lost interest in Beck when the lead singer to the Flaming Lips insinuated that he was a bit less than desirable to tour with. I think he was biting his tongue and not wanting to really talk shit about him, which I imagine he could of and it probably would have been funny.

Anyways, this left me believing that Beck was an asshole and then I really stopped listening, though I still hum along if one of his tunes is one the radio.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
tenmaya wrote:
Anyways, this left me believing that Beck was an asshole and then I really stopped listening, though I still hum along if one of his tunes is one the radio.


If more people did that, Morrissey wouldn't sell many records.


It is because of his persona that Morrissey still sells records.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
sisteray wrote:
Maksimov wrote:
tenmaya wrote:
Anyways, this left me believing that Beck was an asshole and then I really stopped listening, though I still hum along if one of his tunes is one the radio.


If more people did that, Morrissey wouldn't sell many records.


It is because of his persona that Morrissey still sells records.


I though it was because of the music, but what do I know...


Music has something to do with it, but at this point, the people that are continuing to buy Morrissey records are devotees to the cult of Morrissey. After Maladjusted (which was a fine record, I think), he was dropped by Mercury because he wasn't selling enough records to justify releasing them on their level. He went almost 8 years without a release after a prolific run of putting out nearly an album a year. There was talk that he had music complete and ready for release, but no one bit. It wasn't until he hooked up with Sanctuary and they reopened Attack as a vanity label for him that he was able to actually put anything out.

His work on Attack has been less than stellar, but fans keep buying his albums because they want them to be good. They are rooting for Morrissey. They want him to succeed and they want to be right there with him when it happens.

You picked perhaps the worst example to use as a counter argument for this, as almost 100% of Morrissey's fans are dedicated to his persona.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:

Maybe so, but I just can't understand what's so fascinating about someone who comes across as such an asshole, yet makes such mediocre music.


That describes at least 90% of all music released.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blush I had to look him up, I first thought you were talking about Jeff Beck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.