11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Table Scratches rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I need to figure out a way to make sure I don't get any scratches on the little lady's table. Anyone know where I could go to pick up something cheap? Table clothes just don't do the trick. Also, it would have to be something I can easily store, so a big glass top or something will not cut it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A table cloth won't cut it? What exactly are you doing on that table? Playing Powertools: The Boardgame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Larsen
United States
Pullman
Washington
flag msg tools
Felt. A high quality, poker-table-esque, felt will keep everything from scratches or dents. Plus the cards and pieces and boards don't stick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I've noticed a few scratches on the table and I assume it is from my game playing. A table cloth just doesn't seem good enough.

Felt is a good idea. I can fold it up when I'm not using it. Now what department store should I visit for such a thing, or would I have to go to a craft store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or cloth-faced neoprene. Me, I'm a green baize man myself. Stolen from a snooker table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a slightly related note, is there a good way to get scratches off a stained/finished wooden table?

My gaming habit has never caused a problem, but a couple of wine bottles have been opened on the table and left rings of scratches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is scratching the table?

try a a piece of felt, such as miniatures gamers use. This is generally thicker than a tablecloth.

If that doesn't do it, try a large piece of cardboard, and glue a felt backing onto it. Done right, you can make this so it folds.

If that doesn't do it try refinishing the table with a several layers of varnish that has at least a little bit of durability!

Or just tell your game buddies not to wear cleats anymore when doing their victory dances on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteHowler wrote:
On a slightly related note, is there a good way to get scratches off a stained/finished wooden table?

My gaming habit has never caused a problem, but a couple of wine bottles have been opened on the table and left rings of scratches.

If the scratches are deep enough you may have to sand and re-varnish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
WhiteHowler wrote:

If it's just on the surface (the urethane or whatever that coats the table) you can sand the whole surface with fine grit sandpaper and recoat with urethane. If it's in the wood/stain itself, you're going to have to refinish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felt is available in large rolls at a fabric store. Craft stores might have it too, but a fabric store will let you buy the length you need. There are several other fabrics that would work. Faux suede for upholstery works great, is sturdy and feels luxurious. (it should feel luxurious, because it is much more expensive than felt!)

Be sure to measure the table before you go, so you know how much to buy without having to guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the scratches are very fine and light you may be able to buff them out with a little bit of olive oil and a soft cloth.

Some highly polished wood tables just were not designed to be used. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.