Ghost Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Winebarger
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I don't play many board games, and I am lost! I have it set up for a two player game, but I have no idea how to start the game. Do you flip over a card or are they supposed to be on the board already somehow? It says name the ghosts on your board, but there are none initially. Help Please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwinebarge001 wrote:
I don't play many board games, and I am lost! I have it set up for a two player game, but I have no idea how to start the game. Do you flip over a card or are they supposed to be on the board already somehow? It says name the ghosts on your board, but there are none initially. Help Please!

Jennifer, the rules are confusing, but the game play is fairly simple. At the start of the game, there are no ghosts anywhere. All player taoists are in the middle of the board.

The turn basically is as follows: 1) Ghost Actions, 2) Draw and place a Ghost, 3) Player Movement, 4) Player Tile Action or Exorcise Ghost

The first player starts by drawing a ghost, and placing it on the board of the appropriate color (or on their own if the ghost is black). Then the player moves one space, and either takes an action from the village tile or tries to exorcise the ghost. Turn over. The next player draws a ghost, places it, then moves, then chooses whether to use the village tile action or exorcise the ghost (if they are next to the ghost). Play continues in this fashion.

When play comes around to a board that already has a ghost on it, there are a few differences, as the ghost actions happen before a new ghost is drawn. So, for example, if there is a haunter on the board:

1. Haunter moves 1 space forward (tormentors would roll a curse die).
2. Draw a new ghost.
3. Move
4. Take action or exorcise.

If the player has 3 ghosts on their board prior to drawing a new ghost (step 2), they lose a Qi and skip step 2.

Haunters are first placed on the ghsot card, then on the next turn are advanced to the space in front of the card, then on the next turn they haunt the first available village tile in front of them, returning to the top of the card in the process.

Also, keep in mind the special abilities of ghosts when they come into play! Some start in FRONT of the ghost card. Some immediately haunt a village tile. The rules are pretty clear on these.

I hope that helps!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a very helpful video at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/23763/item/871446#item...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.