Subject: My Wife and I Are Loving This Gem of a Game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Louzao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite ready for a full review yet, but it'll come eventually.

My wife and I are finding ourselves playing this game every night. It's really quite fun, light, beautiful, and just the right mix of strategy and luck for us.

We have a good number of cards from the Costa Rica and Indonesia sets. With those cards I built four decks (2 from Costa Rica, 2 from Indonesia, no mixing). All of the decks do things differently.

One deck avoids turf wars in the early game with all camouflage species, then get's really aggressive later with migrating creatures and big boost cards...and is really consistent. That's my wife's deck of choice.

Another deck uses self-sacrificing species to get rid of all of the opponents highest value species.

Another deck focuses on big boost cards and sneak adding to huge multi-link bonuses.

And my personal favorite deck is a card drawing machine which wins points from a plant that is worth 16 points if you end the game with more than 10 cards in your hand. It loses to any discard deck, but it's super fun to play.

Usually my wife and I play best 2 out of 3, and we are fairly evenly matched.

Pretty soon we'll open up our China cards and make decks from them, and then we'll eventually move to mixing cards from different sets together. That's where the real fun will be, I think.

Overall, I highly recommend this game. It is hard to find, it's collectible, and it's pricey...but when you open up a starter kit and see all of the beautiful cards in your hand...and then when you've played your 4th or 5th game with your own decks...you'll understand what a gem this is.

It's gorgeous, it's educational, it's got a lot of interesting and very subtle strategic layers...and all of this combines to make it exceptionally fun. And it's a kid's game...can't wait until I have kids to play it with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I bought a starter set for $5 when B&N was blowing them out at 75% and I played a couple with my daughter. The starter didn't contain enough cards to get the full experience. It seemed like it would be a lot more fun with more cards but they're too hard to get and too expensive. So my starter sits on the shelf unused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great little game, however it really is better with different cards. Having said that the later starters offer more variety ie. Indonesia and China. Likewise I have lots if anyone is interested in trades etc.

I think its a great game for couples, parents and kids. I know we have gotten lots of play time out of it. If you can't find the cards, check the store locator on xeko.com or trades on BGG. Its somewhat underrated and under the radar but I find most people like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.