Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fairly new games player,I would like to know if his game is a typical euro game. I have just ordered it but do not own a euro game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a worker-placement game. It is about gathering resources and building huts. You compete against other players by outdoing them rather than destroying them. It does have dice and nice components, which give it a slight American feel, but it still very much a Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
It is a worker-placement game. It is about gathering resources and building huts. You compete against other players by outdoing them rather than destroying them. It does have dice and nice components, which give it a slight American feel, but it still very much a Euro.

So if I end up liking this game,what other euro games may be of similar interest.
The reason I am asking is that the agricola and puerto rico games do not seem very interesting to me,though they are no1 and 2 in the ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's THE lost overrated game in the current BGG pantheon of favorites.
No, wait, it's only second. Dominion is first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
So if I end up liking this game,what other euro games may be of similar interest.
The reason I am asking is that the agricola and puerto rico games do not seem very interesting to me,though they are no1 and 2 in the ratings.

That depends on what you like about it. Stone Age is a kind of gateway game and appeals to people with a lot of different tastes.

If you just want more entry-level Euro gateway games with a very different system of mechanics than Stone Age, but the same approachability, then I would suggest Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, Ticket to Ride, and Catan.

If you just like the idea of building things and collecting sets then there are tons of games like that. Bohnanza, Race for the Galaxy and Citadels are a few that I have been into lately.

I love worker placement games, and Stone Age is one of my favorites due to the easy rules, short play time, and quick setup and cleanup. However, Agricola and The Pillars of the Earth are both very good, and I have heard great things about Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery. Give a look at all of them and then decide if this is an evolutionary step up from what you already like in Stone Age, or just more of the same that you could live without.

Don't pick your games based only on ratings. The best way to pick games is based on playing them, but if that is not an option then try reading a lot of both good and bad reviews to see what the game has to offer. I personally find video reviews like those at www.boardgameswithscott.com very helpful.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
As a fairly new games player,I would like to know if his game is a typical euro game. I have just ordered it but do not own a euro game.

It's typical in that it has fairly easy to understand rules, no player elimination, and you are chasing victory points.

As a side note, the box says it plays from 2-4 players, and they mean it. The rules modifications for the different number of players keeps the action tight and exciting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, Age of empires is on my list as I love the pc games. I was thinking Age of empires was an american style game,but yes (age of empires,spellbound warcraft,starcraft,SW empires at war). are my favourite kind ofpc games where it is build build explore and attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
joshp wrote:

Settlers of Catan, Kingsburg, or To Court the King, depending on what you like about Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
Great, Age of empires is on my list as I love the pc games. I was thinking Age of empires was an american style game,but yes (age of empires,spellbound warcraft,starcraft,SW empires at war). are my favourite kind ofpc games where it is build build explore and attack.

Be Warned. Age of Empires 3 the board game is NOTHING like the computer game. It is a very good game nonetheless but I would suggest looking at the games you are interested in and looking at some reviews of that game to decide which are possible good games.

wiz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not typical euro because it uses dice which introduces a lot of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo_Boy wrote:
It is not typical euro because it uses dice which introduces a lot of luck.

Sweet, final proof that Settlers of Catan is not a Euro.. it has dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
That's too much dough unless it's murder. And if it's murder, it's not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is an excellent purchase to get introduced to Euro's.

Agricola and Puerto Rico are both good games, but the whole #1 on BGG thing should be treated like an interesting distraction. People like lists and rankings, and gamers are more susceptible than most to their allure.

If you bought books or songs by their rankings, you'd end up with solid products that are likely not anywhere near the best for your tastes. God help you if you buy alcohol that way.

In my case, Agricola is too fiddly with the constant maintenance, and Puerto Rico is a bit dry and pre-programmed for good players. I don't play either these days. But a lot of people love them. Agricola provides different goals every game, so a lot of replay and variable strategy. Puerto Rico is elegant and has a low luck factor.

If you new to the Euro scene, investigate El Grande and Pandemic. You'll also get past the "Euro" labelling anyway, because there's a lot of good games that don't neatly fit there.

The best advice is to try different things and pay close attention to your gaming group's reactions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.