Jonathan Orr
United States
Beaver Dams
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. -Dr. Seuss
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to ask some of the people who played 3 player Comic Encounter games and larger what they think of the 3 player games. Does the game still have the same level of fun with 3 people as it does with 4 or more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice with three and twice with four, so I'm no expert. I think with Cosmic Encounter, the more the better. I'd love to try it with five.

On the other hand, a three player game is going to be less chaotic, and in a very chaotic game, that can be good - especially when players are just starting to learn the ins and outs of the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't find CE to be anywhere near as enjoyable with only 3 players- but it can still be done. Some of us have been desperate enough to try playing it with only 2 players- but in my opinion CE really shines at 5 (and more). It's very social, and the alliance element is key to making the dynamics more entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience (80 some games on this edition) the bright spot of the game is 4 or 5 players. 3 lacks the social interaction of allies, where after a while, the side the ally goes on will probably win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Jack and David: the sweet spot is probably 5.

Here's an axiom that's been around for years: "The first rule of two-player Cosmic Encounter is 'Find another player'." You can almost apply that to the three-player game. I will never turn down a game of CE/3P, but I will also make every effort to suck in a fourth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the fence, almost ready to order CE for months now. Most of my boardgame sessions are three-player so I've been a little concerned about the alliance facet, but we can rope my wife into playing most games which would give us four.

What I can't understand is what prevents a four-player game becoming 2 vs. 2 instead of 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1. Is there a mechanism in the game which makes constant redrawing of alliances the optimal way to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, it's the Destiny deck.

Because of that, your alliances are fleeting. It's rarely 1v1v1v1, but it's commonly 2v1 or 1v3 or whatever seems to work for that challenge. It's simply impossible to make a long-term alliance work, and so the table dynamic can change every few minutes.

Having more powers in play tempers the combat powerhouses as well, which can really step on a 3-player game.

Given a choice, 4 or 5 is my optimal number for this game. 6 players with experience makes a great game, 6 mixed-skill players can make it drag a bit. Three is sort of a crapshoot. I've had great three-player games and bad ones, but consistency seems to go up with an extra player or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game group is usually 3 people; we have quite a bit of fun with Cosmic. More *is* better if you can get them, but with 3 we still have a pleasurable experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game with any number of players. I think, like others here, that the game is best with 5, but any other number is certainly playable and fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.