Subject: Unsolicited Testimonial for GatePlay.com rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya folks,

Recently, I decided I have been not treating myself to enough games.

I really wanted to buy San Juan, but after telling a couple of local shops a couple of times I was interested to no availability, I took my business online.

Now don't take me wrong. I'll continue to make local purchases, mostly D&D books that I don't feel like waiting for mail order.

However, you only get so many chances to sell me a game I want. If you don't make it possible, then I gotta look elsewhere.

Knowing the free shipping model of several online retailers, I decided to make a list and really make up for lost time. Came up with a $150 ballpark and a list in order of preference.

San Juan
Shadows over Camelot
Merlin's Company
Condottiere
To Court the King
Darjeeling
TransAmerica

Hit old Board Game Search http://www.boardgamesearch.com/ to see what I could squeeze into ~ $150.

ThoughtHammer sure did look attractive, but it did not have Darjeeling in stock, and the order without that game was ~$155.

I didn't expect the newer-to-the-table GatePlay.com to compete, assuming volume purchasing would give the day to ThoughtHammer, but I checked in other stores by Board Game Search and found no other store besides GatePlay that was beating ThoughtHammer's price. You have to give it to other webstores on wider selection, but if Gate Play has the game, they seem to give you an agreeable price on it.

I left TransAmerica off of the GatePlay shopping cart, and it came in a few coins under $150. I thought, "Well, that's about what I can spend, Darjeeling costs a bit more than TransAmerica, too. So if not for Darjeeling, I'm looking for a second, cheap game to toss in with TransAmerica to meet the shipping mark. If I really want Darjeeling more, here comes where I get to toss back a game and pay for shipping I would have for free elsewhere..."

...and then I looked at the shipping policy to note that GatePlay is still Free FedEx Ground on US lower 48 orders over $100. So I got the games that I wanted more from my list, and I still beat the shipping costs with a bigger order. Win!

Today, everything arrived. The foam peanuts did their work. The boxes were all just fine.

I am very satisfied with the transaction.

I would only bemoan the use of a lot of flash graphics on the webstore, which makes the pageloads for the poor souls on dialup a bit more patience-trying.

Now I would advise to check the price of the games on your shopping list. GatePlay would not have beat the price on PowerGrid and all the related Maps and Miscellanea.for example. But if one studies up on what the competition offers, GatePlay seems ready to compete. At least they are worth a look.

Thanks for helping me get my hands on San Juan and the rest of my lot. I am very happy with the service that I got. I hope I find use for GatePlay.com again.

Andrew W
Redbeard in 84
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, how long from placing the order to receipt of games, in days? I'm in Louisville which probably would have about the same shipping time as Pennsylvania, if not a little shorter. I usually order from TH since they are in Texas and it's always 3 days basically if I order in the morning on a weekday, it's 3 business days later they show up at my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered at 8:30 PM Pacific time, so 11:30 Eastern, on April 24, 2009, which was a Friday evening, and I would assume the staff would be well out of the office for the whole weekend at that point.

Got tracking Email On 4/27. Fed Ex didn't take the box off premises until 4/28

Received Shipment 9 AMish EST Saturday morning May 2, 2009

Their turn around may be faster or slower than my experience, but I don't feel like my situation would be a fair one to judge their performance. Ordering on a Friday night is just begging for delays.

[Edit because I'm not so good at reading a calendar, actually]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gateway has always been comparable to Thought Hammer (if not faster) when shipping to my California address. Both great companies and both pretty fast. I won't mention the slow ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS turn off flash in your browser!

This is also a good idea for people with slower processors in their computers in addition to those with slower bandwidths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Glad you like the site and thanks for the rec but I have one for you too. Next time check out fairplaygames.com I have yet to find a site that beats their prices on a $125 order(which is what it takes to get free shipping). I looked over gateplay and most of their games were $3-$5 more then at fairplay meaning your going to probaly spend like $10-$30 more on an order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSIMagus wrote:
Glad you like the site and thanks for the rec but I have one for you too. Next time check out fairplaygames.com I have yet to find a site that beats their prices on a $125 order(which is what it takes to get free shipping). I looked over gateplay and most of their games were $3-$5 more then at fairplay meaning your going to probaly spend like $10-$30 more on an order.

I just priced the very same order, and Fairplay came Just over $1 over GatePlay, and Fairplay did not have one of the games currently in stock. Not a big differnece, Fairplay isn't very appealing to look at, not that it matters to the wallet.

Like I said, it's worth doing your homework. That's why Board game search.com rocks. GatePlay is worth a look, but I would never suggest anyone should not seek the best price. Of course, shop around.

If you have a $100 worth of games, Gateplay has free shipping at that level with no "coupon codes" for the user to input, too. So if $125 is over budget, you have an option for a free shipping e-retailer.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willco wrote:

This is also a good idea for people with slower processors in their computers in addition to those with slower bandwidths.

Using Firefox 3.0.10

Know how I would do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redbeardin84 wrote:
willco wrote:

Using Firefox 3.0.10

Know how I would do this?

There is a plugin called flashblock that works very well. I use it all the time. Works on Linux and Windows for sure, probably Mac as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Redbeardin84 wrote:
MSIMagus wrote:

I just priced the very same order, and Fairplay came Just over $1 over GatePlay, and Fairplay did not have one of the games currently in stock. Not a big differnece, Fairplay isn't very appealing to look at, not that it matters to the wallet.

Like I said, it's worth doing your homework. That's why Board game search.com rocks. GatePlay is worth a look, but I would never suggest anyone should not seek the best price. Of course, shop around.

If you have a $100 worth of games, Gateplay has free shipping at that level with no "coupon codes" for the user to input, too. So if $125 is over budget, you have an option for a free shipping e-retailer.

Happy gaming!

Hmmm looks like they did beat them by a buck. I didnt check your exact games, however I have placed a few orders before and checked gateplay and in the past fairplay was the cheaper option. And before posting I didnt check your games but I ran Agricola and Ticket to Ride two very popular games and both were $4-$7 cheaper then at gateplay.

So I guess as you said you just have to do your homework. I would wager that fairplay will win more often but realistically it doesnt matter it looks like the sites compete and that's impressive and a very good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I too have found Gateplay to be very competitive as far as their pricing (and Chris is a nice guy to boot).

I have all of you beat as far as his shipping policy: he and I both live in the same small central California city (although we've never met) and he personally dropped an order off at my front door. My game budget has shrunk considerably lately and depending on my needs I'm looking at Gateplay 1st...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.