Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen one of these yet, but please point me in the right direction if the thread exists and slipped past me.

Earlier this month I finished off Suikoden 2 for Playstation. Quite enjoyable, but 90% of the battles consisted of me jamming on the X button and having everyone attack, and the bosses consisted of me blasting them with every big spell I have. I prefer games where each battle requires good tactics and a level head to get through.

My friend and I finished off Marvel Ultimate Alliance for Xbox 360. It is one of the best games I've played in a long time; it's rare that you see a 4-player co-operative beat 'em up these days. I definitely hope to play again on "Hard Mode" in the future.

Last weekend I picked up the Orange Box, including Portal. I finished the prior in 2.5 hours. Some of the levels were very frustrating when I had no idea what to do next, so I don't think I'll bother with the extra challenge levels. The game experience was also killed a bit by the overexposure to memes.

I also have spent a lot of time with Team Fortress 2. The game is pretty fun, but I spend about as long waiting to respawn as I do playing. I'm also frustrated with playing online. I'll join the server with the lowest latency, then I have to wait ten minutes cause they decided it would be fun to import sound effects from unreal or somewhere else. When I finally join, it's still laggy enough at points to annoy me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm one of the 50 people with a legitimate copy of Demigod and I'm really enjoying it.

Early in the month I played a lot of Resident Evil 5. I liked a lot despite the very different direction it's taking the series. That being said, I don't think it has quite the legs that RE4 has for me.

As I was traveling some, I played a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced on my old GBA. Quite a lot of fun, but it's wearing me out pretty quickly as there is about 5-6 hours between any story advancement and the story is pretty lame anywho. I know it's all about game play here and I love it, but a little story goes a long way.

I'm currently enjoying the survival mode in Left 4 Dead right now. If you get in with a good group this is hard to top!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Fallout 3 on 360. I've played Wasteland and Fallouts 1 and 2. This is the natural progression on those games and its amazing to me still how much is possible with gaming nowadays.

TF2, just started playing too. (picked up orange box on steam for $10 last weekend). its fun but i don't know what i'm doing and everyone else seems to know what they're doing so i'll have to work this up.

For some reason I've been playing Call of Duty: World at War on the 360. I hate "historical" shooters and FPSs on consoles but for some reason I've been playing this.

oh yeah and Quakelive on my laptop. old school goodness. I'd like to see some of my lame console FPS friends play a real FPS like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, we interrupt this graphic video game orgy for the following.

On the retro front, check out freeware vector graphic Cresta Asteroids. Asteroid clone with realistic physics to mess you up!
http://www.bigangrydog.com/asteroid_cresta.xhtml
Ah, the glory days of the early 1980s!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled postings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
As I was traveling some, I played a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced on my old GBA. Quite a lot of fun, but it's wearing me out pretty quickly as there is about 5-6 hours between any story advancement and the story is pretty lame anywho. I know it's all about game play here and I love it, but a little story goes a long way.

I keep intending to get back to it and finish it, but the original PSX FFT was so much better.

Lets see, I finished a first pass through Resistance which is the best FPS game I've played since the COD (Call of Duty) series.

I'm on chapter 8 or so of Valkyrie Chronicle, the eternally chipper teeny-bopper styling of the characters still grates on my nerves some, but as a tactical combat game its really got its act together.

I take the occassional whack at World of Goo on my Wii, but its much easier to play with a mouse so I'll probably add it to my Steam account and finish it on the PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I only have my PC for gaming.

I played Hinterland after reading a favorable writeup in Games magazine. I definitely enjoy that type of game, but I thought that there weren't enough variations in the strategy, especially in terms of the townspeople that you hire. They're about to release a reworking of this, but nothing I've seen suggests that they've fixed the root problem. I've been obsessed with working the Inn concept into a board game design. cool

I was never crazy about Bejeweled, but Dark Legion 2 has been my favorite web game for some time. I didn't realize that the original Puzzle Quest was available on PC! While I think Dark Legion 2 is better strategically, I love all of the RPG trimmings in PQ. I finished the game with a Barbarian, and am trying the different characters; they all seem to result in much slower matches, which is a drag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the PC I've been playing the Rogue-like game Doom.

For my PSP it's been Tenchu 4: Shadow Assassins

For the PS3 it's been Fallout 3 and Portal from the Orange Box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Friendly Neighborhood Hairfarmer
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
badge
The rain in Spain falls mainly on Edmonds
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed FEAR 2. I love a good horror theme. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I finished up Lego Star Wars II and completed all the achievements for Xbox 360.

I started and completed most of Half Life 2, though this is my 3rd or 4th time on the game. I'd played it before on PC, but I picked up the Orange box for Xbox 360, so I've played through ~80% of the game. I also worked on achievements on the way through, so I did Ravenholm with just the gravity gun, and kept completely off the sand in Sandtrap. Additionally, the Orange Box comes with Portal, so I completed the main game, 5/6 of the advanced maps, and I'm working on the medals for the six maps.

I played a little Ticket to Ride for the 360, though I'm still getting my ass handed to me in ranked play. Same for Carcassonne.

I played through a dozen or so downloadable demos before ultimately deleting most of them. I still have good feelings about Rez HD, Tetris Splash, and Switchball, but I have a number of things to play, so I don't know if I'll be purchasing any of them soon.

As usual, I played a little Hexic, and I think I finally got a black pearl this month (or perhaps at the end of last month). Still haven't hit 100 plays yet, but it's coming.

I popped in Call of Duty 2 for a little bit a couple of days ago and worked through another mission on there, but I'm not yet ready to sit down and commit to working my way through it altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a good bit of Red Orchestra on the PC.

On the 360 front I played quite a few different games:
Ace Combat 6
Far Cry 2
Worms
Blazing Angels 2
Guitar Hero II
Medal of Honor Airborne
The Force Unleashed
(Beat it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost all patience with my new game+ of Persona 4 so I just went back to a second new game+ of Persona 3: FES and am enjoying it in small doses here and there throughout the week. Otherwise mostly playing boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Lopez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retro Game Challenge for Nintendo DS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
too_close wrote:
Finished Max Payne 2, Jack Keane, and played a lot of Test Drive: Unlimited. I love TDU cool

Also played a fair bit of Deus Ex - Invisible War. I picked it up for under $5.

I liked Max Payne 2 but I thought the whole affair was a bit underdeveloped. I wanted the story to be fleshed out more and I definitely wanted twice as much material related to Mona Sax. In retrospect the franchise was really "of the moment." How's Invisible War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through Castlevania: Symphony of the Night at the beginning of the month.

Played through the first few chapters of Betrayal at Krondor and then got into Descent and Descent II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For PSP: Mana Khemia
For PS2: Xenosaga
For Wii: Goo
For Xbox: nothing
For PS3: Little Big planet
For DSlite: nothing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stupid Gamestop's Buy 2 get 1 Used Game free promo. I got: for Wii 1. Deadrising, Excite Truck and Castlevania Judgetment. For PS2 I got ChessMaster, Kingdom Herarts and Prince of Persia Sands of Time. All these last weekend. =) And started to play a bit of each this week. Excite truck with 80's music is interesting as you can put your own music there as you drive.

Also played Animal Xing, (everyday since last nov), scrabble for DS, Rhythm Heaven for DS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonisation (the new(ish) Civilization IV engine version).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X360: Fallout3, The Orange Box, Brothers in Arms and Puzzle Quest
PC: Avernum (rpg game, an "updated" version of Exile)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS) - I liked this way better than Order of Ecclesia. Judging by the reviews, I'm the only one. The controls seemed much better, as did the map.

Lumines (PS3) - Check out the high scores for Time Attack. That erakd who ranks around 5th in all times? Yep, that's me.

Peggle (iPod) - Continues to be a reliable commute killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask, is Rythem Heaven multiplayer or just single player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I picked up Elite Beat Agents last weekend because I'm too cheap to drop $40 on Rythm Heaven. I've already beaten it on every difficulty though... so maybe I need to suck it up and buy RH anyway. I'm a big sucker for rythm games.

I have also been playing a lot of Resident Evil 5. Actually, too much RE5. I just got the full 1000 Gamerpoints the other day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
More of the same for me:

Rock Band 2, Mirror's Edge, and Left 4 Dead - all on the 360.

I can't play ME for very long - It's entertaining, but it gives me a headache.

Love that Left 4 Dead has FREE dlc - more companies should do this. And it's good free content. (Though I wish the new scenarios were available for regular co-op missions, and not just versus.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RockBand 2: Closer to finishing "Painkiller" once. Closer to finishing "Panic Attack" repeatedly. Can now finish "Bodhisattva" without problems, and usually with 5-stars.

Braid: Completed. World 6, Room 4. Whiskey, tango, foxtrot. Cute game that nearly made me throw the controller at the TV.

---

Oh, and as part of my "spring cleaning", I'll be selling my slim PS2, my two GH peripherals, and my dozen or so games. Live in Illinois or near St. Louis? Interested? Bueller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I played was Street Fighter IV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little behind in my gaming these days:

I just finished BioShock on PS3. Very cool and different.

I'm just now taking a stab at World of Xeen and Grim Fandango. I hope to start Phantasmagoria and the Monkey Island series soon.

Wow, I'm so far behind. Anyone know how to install this Direct X 4 thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.