Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started a new tradition of getting my kids games for their birthday (among other things). I got my daughter (turned 8) Viva Topo last month and it is a huge hit. They like Quicksand a lot (although my son hasn't figured out how to conceal his player yet). They also play a lot of card games between the two of them (although I think it might be Go Fish played with other cards. My daughter really likes The Great Dalmuti and they asked for No Thanks after watching the grown ups play.) I just taught them Incan Gold and they seemed to really like it and asked to play again.

Any suggestions on THE game I should get my son?

Thanks
KJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gulo Gulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! the deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

What is different from the regular version? We actually do play this together and my daughter is very good. She likes blocking... My son goes for the three fish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the nomination for Gulo Gulo. My son is now 7 and some big hits around our house are

Rat-a-Tat Cat
Sleeping Queens
and Duck, Duck, Bruce

He also likes Castle Keep as a beginning tile-laying game.

I noticed that you have Break the Safe in your collection for trade -- you might consider giving it a play. Whenever I bring out a new game these days, the first thing my son asks is "Is it cooperative?". He's not big into conflict at this point (not sure if that's true for many boys that age, but it is for mine) and really loves the idea of cooperative games. Aside from the Family Pastimes games, I don't think I've seen a large number of these for kids - Break the Safe goes over well at our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
ralpher wrote:

What is different from the regular version?

Cute plastic penguins. No difference to gameplay. You already have it, so skip the deluxe and get something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Formula D - basic game
PitchCar
Animal Upon Animal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent to start when they're young : Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1

Only kidding of course : try this one : Animal Upon Animal > excellent game for kids and yourself even...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonland is a good one for that age, and I've been seeing it for very good prices lately. It's only $10+s/h through a third party seller at Amazon, and I know I've seen it at clearance prices elsewhere as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Sherwood
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of the Gamewright games are good for this age. My son particularly liked Sleeping Queens at that age and still gets it out to play at 7. Duck, Duck, Bruce, Mamma Mia!, and Castle Keep have also been popular.

My favorite kid's game that we have bought for him (as opposed to card games) has been Chicken Cha Cha Cha. We bought Gulo Gulo right before he turned 6 and it just seemed like he grew out of that one really quick. Château Roquefort and Labyrinth have been good as well, but probably not until about 6-1/2 years old. The Secret Door is a good kid's coop. Also, as far as coop games, I see you have Pandemic. He loves to play that with my older son and me. He doesn't grasp the strategy too well, but it is a coop, so it is easy to give him a little help.

Also, Haba puts out some good ones he has enjoyed over the last year. We have Akaba, but be sure that you feel that your son can work the bellows that comes with it as that is the limiting factor. Also, Animal Upon Animal and Zitternix make good dexterity games. Dancing Eggs is just silly fun.

For games that you could find at your local Target or Wal-Mart, maybe Sorry! Sliders. My son has also really enjoys I Spy Eagle Eye because he loves the Eye Spy type puzzles (have to admit I dislike it a lot, though). Guess Who? is one that he always digs out at Grandma's house.

Dragonland has also been a favorite and one that he finally managed to beat me at recently, though I'm not sure I would recommend that one for everyone.

That's Life! and Bohnanza have also made good family games that he can play with everyone.

Finally, one that plays quickly and I play with all my boys all the way up to age 16 and always gets a chuckle is Spooky Stairs. We have the Boo Who version, but I just saw the actual import version available at Time Well Spent. With 4, it is unusual for us to get a ghost to the top of the stairs and be sure it is the one we think it is. A little easier with 2, but still fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found with my oldest son that he really turned a corner in the games he liked to and could play right around the time he turned 6. I have never played them, but people recommend Gulo Gulo and the Dancing Eggs game for three and four year olds. I think you ought to expect him to grow out of those games pretty quickly and opt for something more challenging.

Since he likes hidden information and bluffing, consider Phantoms vs Phantoms. Since he likes cards, I agree that Sleeping Queens or Rat-a-Tat Cat are good choices, but I think their replayability is limited and they run their course in a couple of months. If he likes abstracts like Hey, That's My Fish, he may like Hive. I think Animal Upon Animal is a great choice for a dexterity game as well. And if he likes memory games, take a look at Maask. It has some interesting strategy to it, in addition to the memory component. My son (almost 7) has really enjoyed playing all these games this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino is a nice and simple dice-game with some really great interaction. It'll teach him about odds, statistics, chances etc. that might help in his later education or Las Vegas career (depending on how good you are at parenting )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duffy Carter
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gulo Gulo, Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins, and Pick Picknic have gone over exceptionally well with my 6 year old. Another favorite is Battleground: Crossbows & Catapults War Chest Starter Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Braun
United States
Pawtucket
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bicycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a valuable geeklist: Top Games For Kids by Age and a BGG Kids Ratings Analysis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think getting him into toy soldiers is a good way to start into wargaming. Then play 'campaign', The American 'go' game. Simple, helps with counting, some strategy that a kid can easily grasp. Also, the blue and grey discs along with the Civil War board, might be exciting for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I have a 5 year old about to turn 6. His favorite games in order of preference right now are...

Bobbin' Bumblebee (rethemed Loopin Louie)
PitchCar
Sleeping Queens
Quoridor
Toss Up! ($4.00 at walmart, an easier push your luck like Can't Stop)
Rhino Rampage
Laser Battle

-----
We've got a copy of Sorry! Sliders for his birthday this month.

I'd highly recommend Bobbin' Bumblebee. You can get a cheap copy on drugstore.com and get free shipping if you tack on some deodorant to make your order more than $25. (weird, but it worked for me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shear Panic has cute sheep in it.

Dominoes or Spinner Dominoes might be fun for them. My entire family enjoys playing that often. We use the Mexican Train rules with the little center starter piece that makes train noises.

King's Blood might be a good one to check into.

Jacks is a game that I still enjoy, and is inexpensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
I'd highly recommend Bobbin' Bumblebee. You can get a cheap copy on drugstore.com and get free shipping if you tack on some deodorant to make your order more than $25. (weird, but it worked for me)

I wish a couple of people I game with would buy deodorant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great comments! Several games here that I hadn't even heard of...

I am torn. Pitchcar is my first choice but it's far too expensive as a b-day present. Maybe for Christmas as a family present. Dragonland looks like a great choice because of it's price on Amazon. Anyone play Elk Fest with their kids? Thinking for $15 to get free shipping it might be worth it.

Bobbin' Bumblebee looks fun (they want $79 for it on Amazon...) and I do need some deodorant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
kendahlj wrote:
and I do need some deodorant.

http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_results.asp?N=0&Ntx=m...'+Bumblebee+&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

$14.99 on drugstore.com ($25 and above order = free shipping)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie H
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry about that, Chief
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildlife Safari
Cheeky Monkey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martha Merry
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Are you interested in teaching him chess? Try Tic Tac Chec by Dream Green. Under $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Elk Fest and thought it was a bit of fun, with adults or kids. Give me a holler...I have Zig-Zag, Friday the 13th, and Jamaica if you'd like to borrow those and see if your kids might like 'em...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of great games for 6 year olds listed in this thread.

I'll second Gulu, Gulu and Pick Picknick. They are my daughters favorites.

She also loves:

Looping Louie
Zooloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.