Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use the alchemist to rearrange pips on dice, does it have to be 3 dice (I assume no, or that you can rearrange a 2-3-4 into a 1-4-4)?

Once you rearrange the pips, do you have to take all 3 dice out of play, or can you choose to put some back into play?

When using the noblewoman or nobleman power, can you do it over multiple turns? In other words, lets say I'm rolling 5 dice and have a noblewoman. I roll 1-2-4-5-5. I keep the 4 and 2 5s. Then I roll 4-6. I keep the 4 again. Then I roll a 4 again and keep it. Can I THEN use the noblewoman to add one pip to all 3 of the 4s to give 5 5s, or do I have to use the noblewoman after one specific roll and if I don't change the 4 to a 5 at that point, I lose the opportunity to do it later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, my game is loaned out so I am going from memory.

The Alchemist is "among 3 dice" so you could shift between only 2 if you wanted.

You are only required to lock 1 per turn. So if you need to steal some pips and then reroll that die, as lonag as you kept one, you could do that.

No, you can only use the special powers at that specific time. So you cannot collect a series of 3's for example, over several turns, and then turn them all to 4 or 5. You have to decide when it is going to be the most effective and only add to the current set of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You may rearrange pips among just two dice with the Alchemist.

You are required to set aside at least one die on each roll; this may or may not be a die modified by the Alchemist on that roll.

You may never modify already set aside dice, only active dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have a tangentially related question.

The BSW implementation of To Court the King doesn't seem to allow you to use the Alchemist if only two active dice are in the pool. For example, if my pool is 1-5, then I can use a Philosopher to turn that into 3-3, but I can't use an Alchemist for the same purpose. If my pool is 1-3-5, then either an Alchemist or a Philosopher can turn that into 3-3-3. My interpretation of the rules is that the Alchemist is strictly a better ability than the Philosopher, and that the Alchemist can be used for any purpose that the Philosopher can, but I have to admit that the rules are vague on this minor detail. (The rules do say that that you can shift pips between two dice, but does that mean two of your active dice, or two of your three dice?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
All powers can only be used on active dice.

BSW's implementation of TCtK isn't always accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
All powers can only be used on active dice.

BSW's implementation of TCtK isn't always accurate.

My question wasn't about changing dice which have been locked in (although I'll assume that I phrased my question poorly or used terminology that means something different from what I intended it to mean). So far as I know, BSW never lets you change a die once you've locked it in, so that's accurate, at the very least.

For ease of illustration, let's pretend that I have a Farmer, two Charlatans, and an Alchemist, and nothing else. I make my initial roll and get 124444. Hmm, those 4's look awesome. I'll lock in the four 4's and re-roll 1 and 2. Oh look, I got 3 and 5. Can I use the Alchemist to turn 3 and 5 into 4 and 4, giving me the General? The BSW implementation wouldn't allow such a tactic to be employed, because there aren't three dice to manipulate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mathgrant wrote:
The BSW implementation wouldn't allow such a tactic to be employed, because there aren't three dice to manipulate.

He answered this by saying the BSW isn't always correct.

I am pretty sure you can shift between 2 active dice. There shouldn't be a punishment just because you only have 2 at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I am pretty sure you can shift between 2 active dice. There shouldn't be a punishment just because you only have 2 at the moment.

That's how I always understood it; I never had any questions about this issue until I played the BSW interpretation. I just want to make sure I'm playing the Alchemist correctly before this comes up in an offline game.

I'm reminded of how Paper Mario has one chef who can only cook things out of a single ingredient you give her, and another chef who can only cook things out of pairs of ingredients you give her. I would imagine that an alchemist with the ability to transform 1-2-6 into 3-3-3 or 2-4-6 into 4-4-4 could also turn 2-6 into 4-4, but maybe the Alchemist and the Philosopher are more like counterparts to each other, like the Paper Mario chefs, rather than one being more powerful and skilled than the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Confirmed by the designer here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
firewizard wrote:

Confirmed by the designer here

How did I not see that? I could have sworn I checked the forums thoroughly for a previous answer to this question. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
See the last sentence in Rules, page 11, Alchemist, Another example: "A player may also move pips from one die to another, like the Philosopher."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.