9 Posts

StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Terran Infantry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Freemasonman
United States
flag msg tools
I know its been discussed before, but is there ANY viable use for the barracks mid-range units? The marine provides cheap support and is great for cannon fodder, the ghost has nukes and lockdown. But what about the firebat and medic?

Firebats cost two resources, but they have almost the SAME combat values as a marine! I could see trading off air attack capability for some extra splash to use against early-game zergling spawns, but when you have to pay an extra resource to make that trade, forget it. I've heard the argument that the second resource is vespene, which is typically not used in the early game anyway, but in my mind its about workers. I'm still losing production power, just not towards minerals. On the other hand, I could pay a tiny bit more to get vultures; once they get spider mines, they have splash against ALL ground units and quite decent combat values, making them valuable all the way through the game. They also don't get killed by mutalisk splash, but they can't target mutalisks anyway so I shouldn't be toting them around in those fights. I'd rather lose one resource in the form of a marine and be able to use a stim to cost my opponenet a couple too. In other words, firebats are more expensive than marines and, in my opinion, weaker (after all, one of the terrans best gimmicks is having the cheapest units with air attack).

I have never once purchased a medic. I can use them to benefit some health on my other useless infantry, essentially acting as a portable bunker. In all honesty, this only means that I can use my marines until about mid-game, and thus can be lazy with teching up to new units. Is that what I want? A crutch so that I don't have to get powerful units for a while? Once everyone else gets heavy units out, I'm gonna need to upgrade anyway, and if I waste time squeezing power out of my marines I'll be several steps behind. They DO have the nifty optical flare card, but there are only one of those in the deck: murphy's law says I won't get it when I need it, and its too expensive for such a small power. If I want some assist units, I'd rather go for the all-powerful science vessel.

In short, all the firebat and medic seem like to me is a roadblock that forces me to use an extra build order before I can get ghosts. All they do is make me hesitate before going for a nuke strategy. Is there any use for them, or did terran (in this case, anyway) get screwed over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unknown005 wrote:
In all honesty, this only means that I can use my marines until about mid-game, and thus can be lazy with teching up to new units. Is that what I want? A crutch so that I don't have to get powerful units for a while? Once everyone else gets heavy units out, I'm gonna need to upgrade anyway, and if I waste time squeezing power out of my marines I'll be several steps behind.

Terran leadership card which builds all level III buildings in one shot?

unknown005 wrote:
They DO have the nifty optical flare card, but there are only one of those in the deck: murphy's law says I won't get it when I need it, and its too expensive for such a small power.

Recharge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've tried to make Medic-Marine work a few times, and come up dry. The Heal card is verging on worthless. 5 health + 2 health is nothing to write home about. Optic Flare is fun, but when it gets overwhelmed it is ugly. I've never managed to actually deploy Restoration.

Nuke is persnickety.

Firebats are ... batty. Maybe if I were facing hordes of Zealots / Zerglings and I had it researched already, perhaps I'd build ONE.

I'm going to take a break from trying to make Terran small fry work for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I think the terran infantry path is one of the best in the game.

marines are versatile cheap and powerful. firebats round out the ground and give you more plastics. Ghosts give you huge tactical advantages and allow you to take out expensive units at a low cost.

One key ingredient to the terran infantry is the use of the yamato cannon tech cards. they have minor combat values of 4/7, this combined with medics heal and bunker can give your infantry health values of 9 and 10 respectively.

The midrange units aren't really flash but round out your army. Firebats give you more plastics and some limited splash damage, they really shine in ground only spaces. Medics give your restoration which is really great along with heal, for defense and optic flare which is very good at triggering nuke.

Ghosts are also very good, lockdown is incredibly good and nuke allows you to take out big units for a fraction of their cost.

One thing to remember about this path is that it is very reliant on tech cards. Obtaining a special order sector would be highly advised because it allows you to put tech cards like nuke and optic flare directly into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Freemasonman
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses! cool

Yeah, I didn't notice until really recently how good the minor values on techs were, esp. for terran and toss. That means that its a good idea to preemptively research siege mode or yamato cannon. I think I saw minor values like 6/6 on a card somewhere: that's better than the infantry's REAL cards!

Ghosts I would certainly consider as an option if I expected to fight lots of protoss. I don't completely take them out of the equation.

I can't shake the feeling that firebats are so pricey yet more limited than my rines. Maybe its just the people I play with, but marines/zealots/zerglings only appear as support by the time its even midgame. I'd pay a lone gas for them; if it had to be two resources, than I'd consider two gas.

Medics still don't make since to me. Why should invest time into saving my one resource marine? I could care less if he dies. Even if I tried recharging an optic flare, it's useless against zerg and won't do much more than make my opponent angry against anything else.

@MrSkeletor - I once, having been drunk and rich enough to buy a level 3 barracks without planning to use it, killed Kerrigan and an ultralisk on a base with multiple guard tokens in one turn. Build ghost, research cloak, research nuke, bam. I paid 3 resources for the nuke alone, a hefty price, but dealt what I count to about 9 resources damage, 11 if you count the base's price. It's situational, but useful.

(Though this brings me to ask - I interpret that nuke CAN kill heroes, similarly to leadership cards and the like. Is this correct?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Because they cost more, Firebats draw more malice and fire from the enemy than Marines. Sad fact of life.

I've lost more Medics to splash damage than all other support units I've lost in my life, period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EMELT
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unknown005 wrote:
(Though this brings me to ask - I interpret that nuke CAN kill heroes, similarly to leadership cards and the like. Is this correct?)

Keep in mind this bit from the section on heroes from the brood war manual:

"Heroes are also immune to the mind control ability and all
Technology card abilities that destroy units
(for example the
Protoss “Leg Enhancements” or Zerg “Spawn Broodling”)."

I believe that nuke is a technology card that destroys units so nuke would not be eligible to kill a hero this way. Bolding was mine for emphasis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Freemasonman
United States
flag msg tools
Mark T wrote:
Keep in mind this bit from the section on heroes from the brood war manual:

"Heroes are also immune to the mind control ability and all
Technology card abilities that destroy units
(for example the
Protoss “Leg Enhancements” or Zerg “Spawn Broodling”)."

I believe that nuke is a technology card that destroys units so nuke would not be eligible to kill a hero this way. Bolding was mine for emphasis.

Lame! But thanks. Guess I'll just hope no one else at my gaming table notices...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.