Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been stuck at home for days with the flu. I've caught up with all the unread books and graphic novels around the place. I usually don't have a ton of time to poke around on the internet, and I spend the bulk of my time either here, Facebook, or reading a handful of webcomics. Occasionally, I check out ESPN, BoingBoing, and NeatoRama.

It's been a pretty slow weekend, content wise. I am completely bored.

Please add your favorite time-wasting sites. Flash games, pop culture, art, commentary, pictures of hot chicks with chainsaws, whatever.

And, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
www.theonion.com is one of the funniest sites on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Friendly Neighborhood Hairfarmer
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
badge
The rain in Spain falls mainly on Edmonds
mbmbmbmbmb
Break out that new game you've been putting off, & read the rules. (or is that just me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, disscovering a new webcomic (new to me, that is) and catching up on back episodes is a great time sink. Found Order of the Stick last year, and spent a day and a half going through the archives to catch up; and about a week ago started reading ctrl+alt+del, and I'm still not all the way through the archives.

I know there are threads devoted to this sort of thing, but if you'd like suggestions:

Order of the Stick - D&D based comic. Great humor early in the strip, lately becoming more dramatic. (the website, www.giantitp.com , also hosts Erfworld, which is worth checking out if you've got time on your hands...)

XKCD ( www.xkcd.com ) - rapidly developed into one of my favorite comics. Jokes with a math/computer programming slant. Probably have to see them to understand (and don't forget to hover over the strip for the hidden caption!)

Girl Genius (www.girlgeniusonline.com)- drawn by Kaja and Phil Foglio, another crowd favorite. A great story set in a steampunk age of mad scientists, and very highly recommended. Great art, too!

Or, if you want something completely and totally off the wall, try goats. (www.goats.com) Start at the beginning - the early strips are great gag strips, and the later ones just turn a corner into... well, not exactly sure, to be honest, but to me that's part of the fun!

This is just a handful of many, many more - I'm sure if these aren't your taste, you can find one that is. Poke around, find one you like, and go back to the first one in the archive - bam! a whole day killed reading comics....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm current on OOTS and Erfworld, as well as XKCD, Dino Comix, Dr. McNinja, Achewood, Wondermark, QC, Dresden Codak, and Penny Arcade. I have been meaning to plow through Girl Genius one of these days, in a manner of speaking...

I forgot about the Onion. It's been at least a year since I visited there. Thanks for the reminder!

Reading game rules...sadly, I have no new and unplayed games. I could download some rules for future purchases, but I really prefer to do it with the game setup in front of me. Good suggestion, though a little "on-topic".

Koldie, if I felt like doing shots, I wouldn't be soliciting suggestions. When I'm well, I carry a +3 for Drinks of Opportunity.

Thanks for the suggestions so far...but MORE MORE MORE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/features.html

I'm scared to try this, personally, for fear of being sucked into a massive time-eating Angband-like experience.

And of course, there's always Angband. I must've spent a thousand or more hours playing this during grad school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to spend your time on art?
http://www.juxtapoz.com/
also try the links
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always play an Interactive Fiction game like Suveh Nux.

* The Interactive Fiction Database lists a few thousand games.
* The Society for the Promotion of Adventure Games has lots of reviews.
* Here is a web site about IF.

And I hope you feel better soon ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands down, the best webcomic besides Achewood is Scary Go Round.
Either start at the beginning, or start with one of the more recent stories and go back later.

A great source of flash games is http://www.jayisgames.com

Or, if you're in to logic puzzles, http://www.conceptispuzzles.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
What's the one where you're spending the whole game wandering around an attic trying to get a map? That one's cool.

That would be Curses!, by the same author as Jigsaw.

(Though if you spent the whole game in the attic, you may have missed a little . Maybe that's just the bit that stuck in your memory!)

Drew1365 wrote:
Also, the time-traveling one -- Jigsaw. Very cool.

Another good time travel game is All Things Devours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much enjoyed the first year or so of Scary Go Round. Very unusual approach, and a lot of fun. I look forward to working my way through those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. No wrote:
Want to spend your time on art?
http://www.juxtapoz.com/
also try the links

Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.