Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Monday! Welcome to this weeks "What did you play this weekend?"

I'll kick it off with my weekend.

Saturday we had our friends down for a day of gaming and fun. We didn't get quite as many games on the table as I would have liked, but it was fun none the less.

First we introduced them to Bohnanza. My wife and I have been playing this two players non-stop ever since I won it via the Chain of Generosity. They picked it up quickly, and I think they were both having a great time. IIRC my friend MSIMagus ended up being Das Uber Bean Farmer of the game.

Next up we got Pandemic on the table. I have been *dieing* to play this, and thought it was only appropriate with the swine flu going on. I don't think the ladies really dug it, but I felt it was totally suspenseful with us winning on the last outbreak. We got totally slammed with Pandemics early on. I think we were playing on Hard, and it seems like not a round went by when there weren't outbreaks popping up all over. But we scurried around and contained what we could and in the end we ended up getting all the cures and saving the day.

Our friends needed to leave a little early, so we proposed a few quick rounds of Rat-a-Tat Cat, which I picked up a few weeks ago for my son, and have found my wife and I playing almost as much.
We got a few rounds in, but everyone was kind of Meh about all the luck involved, so someone proposed to abandon the cats and squeeze in one more game of Bohnanza.

So we did! This game was even more fun now that everyone had the wheeling and dealing aspect down, and deals were being brokered left and right. I ended up being the Lord of the Bean Farmers, but it was a very close game.

Sunday my wife had a Pampered Chef show to go to, and decided to drag me along. I brought along games in the hopes we would be able to fit something in with her family afterward, but everyone ended up being too tired. So we convinced her younger brother and his girlfriend to come over to our house for a couple games before the end of the night.

We quickly taught them Bohnanza, and everyone got the hang of it right off. This game was very cut throat, with deals being made and broken left and right. Promises of future beans were being made, and no throat was left uncut by the end. My BILs girlfriend ended up winning the game, and I ended up coming in dead last. I'm just too nice and honest for that group!

Then my everyone except me played Rat-a-tat-cat for about half a hour before heading home.

Overall I can't really complain. It was a good weekend for games, unfortunately, this weekend should be pretty abysmal, since I will be working all weekend. blerg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I only played a couple of games of Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #1 – Greece & Eastern Kingdoms. I have made it a mission to play all of the published scenarios when there is time. Having played all of them in the base game, I'm currently playing the first expansion. So, this weekend had a triple feature including the battles of Hydaspes, Hellespont, and Paraitacene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palastgeflüster and The Pillars of the Earth (6-player, with the expansion)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication and Sleeping Queens (which I liked better)

Wasnt a great gaming weekend, but if Tuesday's math night is going to be a success, we have to learn how to play these games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
3 games of Small World, Ticket to Ride, Giants and Silverton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played "Guess which candybar poop is in this diaper". I lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dbarree wrote:

Similar.

2 games of TTR on Saturday with a game of Small World sandwiched inbetween.

Game of TTR and Settlers last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced my son to the card game Kung Fu Fighting and he couldn't get enough of it. It became one of my "dime" games this weekend alone. It helps that games are rarely over 20 min and can be as short as 5. We also have the expansion More Kung Fu Fighting to add some variety and characters to the game.

Also I played Monsters Menace America at a games day which I'm glad I had the opportunity to because at one point I was thinking of purchasing it for my son. Boy am I glad I didn't and won't be. Glorified version of Risk, only with finiky rules which just become a dice-fest. I rated it a 2. I'll never be playing this one again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some folks over for gaming on my birthday! The first - third, perhaps? - of a game of Arkham Horror. Then some Kubb while BBQing. Finally, we played For Sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been a good, solid game weekend with the family, it was game-galore as we we're at the summer cottage for the weekend. We started off on Friday with an extremely long game of 4-player Sticheln, it lasted well over 1.5 hours (5 rounds). It's our top trick-taking game so it sees much action during weekends. I came second after having led to the very last round and then crashing and burning in the last round.

Then during Saturday we had our first outdoor game of the year, three hectic rounds of Schotten Totten. Both players have well-over one hundred Shotten Totten games under their kilts so it's extremely competitive. I won 2-1.

Saturday evening saw a four player game of Container, the first heavy game of the weekend. An extremely hard-fought game that saw many niche-strategies, I managed to come second again, all players were within 5 points though. This was also the first game with our new custom-made wooden ships

We capped off the evening with a three player game of Agricola. My game was a complete failure, and I came dead last - I blame my inexperience of three player games for the loss and a stupid brewer-based strategy of wheat-production, with several crop failures.

Sunday saw a round of Great Wall of China, then I played a one-man game of Agricola trying to come up with a winning strategy after yesterdays loss. This was followed up with another three player Agricola, a sheep-bonanza strategy gave me an easy win. In the evening we played a round of Age of Steam, wherein I came third...I blame that friggin' dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night I read part of the rules to Silverton.

Saturday morning I taught my father how to play Lost Cities the Boardgame. Saturday afternoon I taught my father's girlfriend how to play Lost Cities the Boardgame. They went on to play two more rounds.

Sunday I played a few solitaire games of Age of Steam on the Puerto Rico map. The rebels didn't receive all of their weapons, but I could cover it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My father and I learned Pandemic.

Had a good time, and we won our first game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to get my daughter to play...

...but we ended up playing...

...instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Well you covered Saturday pretty well. Again you will have to let me know on a trade for Pandemic later since Amanda will never play it with me I cant see the point in not trading it. Honestly I really dont mind anyways since I didnt care for the game that much either(sorry John I know you liked it!). As you said though Bohnanza was a blast, I wouldnt be suprised if we play it almost every time we hang out.

Sunday we didnt get to play any games, Amanda was just too busy with finals and cleaning her grams apartment. I am hoping to put Agricola on the table tonight and see if she bites....if not guess ill just settle for our 300 millionth game of Lost Cities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a nice evening of gaming last night. First we taught our friends 2 games that were new to them - Arkadia, which went over very well, and Fairy Tale, which the group enjoyed enough to play twice.

After that we returned to a couple old favorites, playing Vegas Showdown and Thurn and Taxis.

It was an unusual night in that my partner Scott, who normally struggles to get better than 2nd place, ended up winning every single game of the evening. (Well, technically we tied on one of the games of Fairy Tale, but I'll just call it for him.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny - My 2 sons and I also played that this weekend. They have been making Kung Fu poses ever since.

mgoddard wrote:
I introduced my son to the card game Kung Fu Fighting and he couldn't get enough of it. It became one of my "dime" games this weekend alone. It helps that games are rarely over 20 min and can be as short as 5. We also have the expansion More Kung Fu Fighting to add some variety and characters to the game.

Also I played Monsters Menace America at a games day which I'm glad I had the opportunity to because at one point I was thinking of purchasing it for my son. Boy am I glad I didn't and won't be. Glorified version of Risk, only with finiky rules which just become a dice-fest. I rated it a 2. I'll never be playing this one again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clue, The Hobbit, Space Station Assault, and Chang Cheng.

Clue, because I knew my wife would join us.

The Hobbit, to see if I wanted to keep or trade. (Trade)

Space Station Assault, because I'm trying to play through my whole collection and it was it's time. It's better than I remembered.

Chang Cheng, because it is one of my newest acquisitions. Dang! Those mongols at the end can REALLY decimate your score...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game of Agricola with my wife. Currently I am bored by playing it with only two players. Not a lot of interaction.

So we tried Dominion about five times. There isn't a lot of interaction either but we are still using the simple first 10 sets of cards. But the game is fast since it is not overly complex but still allows some planning. Also when telling some kind of story when playing cards it can get really funny. "So my Duke went to the village, there he went to the market where he visited the smith which directed him to another village... and so on with some kind of hoke at the end which I just can't remember now. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a best-of-3 rounds of Lost Cities with my wife, Liz, Friday night and was soundly trounced. Later that night, we played a lovely game of Ticket to Ride with the Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 expansion with Liz and my 9-year old daughter, Julie. I won that one, having lost last week to Julie by a single point. Fun game all around.

I also spent some time working my way up to finally understanding Race for the Galaxy. The Video tutorial I found in a thread here helped a lot, but I finally set the cards out to play and got through the first third of a game before having to pack it in for some "family stuff". I think I might actually, finally have an idea of what is going on in the game after feeling obtuse when I first tucked into the rules. This is one game that most definitely would benefit from someone showing you exactly what's going on, which is why the tutorial was so helpful. At this point, I will say the game looks amazing, though. I got Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm so I can play solo as well. I have some vacation time approaching and am looking forward to getting into this incredible system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played:

a game of Samurai, played 2 games of Le Havre, a game of Ticket to Ride: Switzerland, 2 games of Thebes, a game of Stone Age, and what was great, I got 2 games of Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game in this weekend!

Looking back I had an excellent gaming weekend! I guess facing the work week won't be so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had another couple over and introduced them to Pandemic and Small World.

I think they enjoyed Pandemic a bit more, due to the co-op aspect. It has gotten to the point where winning with four Epidemics in the deck is a no-brainer for my wife and I, but when bringing in new people we always wimp out and play on the introductory level. Needless to say, it was a bit too easy, but we definitely created two new fans of the game.

The Small World game went pretty well, but we got some very odd race/ability combinations and it didn't "flow" as well as the previous sessions I had played. The highlight of the game was the two girls getting into a five-turn bloodbath between their Skeletons and Amazons. I scraped out a win simply by virtue of staying under their radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night and most of Saturday was Paths of Glory which is fast becoming a favorite as I get more used to the game. I managed to win as the allied power player.

Saturday night was time for a couple of quick games: Small World and Cold War: CIA vs KGB with my Paths of Glory opponent.

Then Sunday nightI played a quick game of Small World with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piece o' Cake! We were on a mini vacation in Hamburg, and this was one of the games I managed to pick up and we played it at the hotel in the evening.
OT:I'm probably not looking in the right places, but I didn't find that many new good games in stores in Hamburg, and as the SEK/EUR ratio is insane right now, Spieleland's prices did not look very attractive to me. Bought a few games anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel in the Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.