Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Andersen
Denmark
Valby
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played PG a couple of times now and really like the combination of light rules and heavy tactical thinking and choice making.

The length of a game is the achilles heel of the system. By the sound of other players on the geek, the fog of war rule not only speeds op the game but makes you focus harder on your primary objectives, so I'll be using that rule for my next games.

Has anyone got any experience with the other optional rules, and which ones would you recommend? The strategic movement rule might also speed op the game by bringing the units to where the action is. But it may also warp the game - can you make strategic moves during night turns for example?

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We allow all the Optional rules, but the one we actually end up using is fog of war. Excess initiative is a good rule, but comes up so little we usually forget about it! Strategic movement just feels too fast - maybe 150% normal movement would be OK. Consolidation would be fine, but somehow it never gets used. Of course, if the module in play has random events we use them. I've only ever played 2-player PG, so the multi-player rules never came up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use fog of war and the random events. Tried but didn't care for the consolidation rule (it makes it too easy dealing with all those half strength infantry that start to pile up in cover ...). Saving excess initiative is interesting but its easier (don't have to track them ...) if you use them at the start of your turn ... we thought it may be a slight advantage to the leading player as well (who is likely ahead on initiative anyways) too, but never tried it enough to see ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fog of War is a definite for me, but strategic movement gets pretty wonky.

I would recommend petermc's optional rules for High-profile movement and Forced march - in a nutshell, you declare HPM or FM movement at the beginning of a unit's activation (HPM for vehicles, FM for personnel).

HPM gives a unit 150% of its movement, but it also suffers +2 to op fire, turning the normal -1 for AT op fire into a +1. I also play that you can't move within 2 hexes of any enemy with DF or AT using HPM, as the idea is that the tanks are riding unbuttoned, and you wouldn't get so close to an enemy, even if, in game terms, they're marked "moved/fired".

Forced march gives a personnel unit +1 movement at a cost of increasing op fire by +1 (for a total of +2 columns)

I don't use Forced March much, but HPM can be very handy for speeding games up and letting your tanks zip around a bit more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.