Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an ACTS/Cyberboard game using the 1916 Scenario between myself and Jeromey Martin with Jeromey playing the Central Powers. This was my third game using the 1916 Scenario and my second as the Allies.

Of Asquith and the Ruin of Russia.

Summer 1916

No BR and British Empire MOs Revolution due in one turn, TU Max Rps at 11.

I began by besieging Aqaba and attacking Gumushane, Erzincan and Harput while moving troops from Oltu, using Allenby for Ops. Apart from Allenby and Romania I only had 2 Ops cards. The attacks were fairly successful at killing turks, but I only won Gumushane, and didn’t advance even there. Jeromey counterattacked with the Army of Islam at Mus, also building XVI Corps at Sivas. He had bad luck and was forced to permanently eliminate III Corps. I placed Dunsterforce and the South Persia Rifles in Eastern Persia. He used a 1 Ops move to reinforce Harput with XVI Corps. I played a 2 Ops card for RPs.

He attacked Mus again, winning a Bonus RP, and attacked Nasirya with a lone division to fulfil his MO. I now entered Persia with the British, forfeiting a VP but covering the Persian VP spaces against a possibly resurgent Persian Uprising. He played for RPs. I abandoned Central Persia for Isfahan and moved Russian troops to Kashan, but Jeromey was quick to attack with the Qashquai and return the region to British hands, robbing me of the hoped for RU VP. Meanwhile XIV corps formed in Harput. I ended the turn by playing Romania for Rps. Jeromey played Enver-Falkenhayn Summit, getting a VP for the Turk in Galicia. A revolt broke out in Central Asia.

Fall 1916

TU and Meso-Persia MOs Revolution due this turn. Tu Max RPs at 10.

The Russians attacked Giresun, destroying V Corps there. Jeromey played for RPs. The Russians advanced to Samsun and Gumushane and attacked Sulemaniye and Kermanshah (where the Sinjabi had appeared). I captured Sulemaniye but the Sinjabi held out. The Turks attacked Gumushane, destroying the Black Sea Marines. I attacked Erzincan and Kermanshah, taking the latter. Caucasian Army Reforms created 2 full-strength Caucasian Corps in Erzincan, closing that particular exit from imminent revolution.

I rearranged my position, concentrating troops in Cizre. He attacked Florina, Gumushane and Cizre, destroying all my forces in Gumushane including Yudenich. I redeployed Indian troops to Trabzon, since I had no Russians to spare. The Turks attacked and took Giresun and Cizre, and I played for Rps as the exhausted Russian empire slipped gratefully into Revolution. Turkish-Arab Reinforcements arrived, along with a Trench in Maan. Afghanistan joined the Central Powers.

Winter 1917

NO BR and RU MOs. Revolution in Stage 1 TU Max RPs at 10.

With H.H. Asquith forbidding any British offensives I began the turn by redeploying Indians to Aqaba. The Turks successfully attacked Kirkuk, brushing aside Armored Cars. I organized Indian 2nd Corps in Aqaba. The Turkish Left Wing Group formed in Damascus. I attacked Maan with the Royal Flying Corps, only to run headlong into PASHA I, which killed Faisal.

Left Wing Group moved to Jerusalem, and I played for RPs. Left Wing Group reached Maan. I moved troops to the Eastern edge of the Sinai. The Turk’s issued a Bull’s Eye directive, allowing them to drive the Indians at Aqaba into the sea and take Central Asia. The Russians attacked Diyarbarkir, doing a little damage, and the Anzacs grazed the Senussi at Bahariya. Jeromey played for Rps to end the turn.

Spring 1917

No BR and TU MOs TU Max RPs at 9.

I began with Lloyd George Takes Command and Jeromey played Berlin-Baghdad Railway. I played Project Alexandria, landing Anzacs off Adana, which was unoccupied. Jeromey quickly redeployed SCUs there and I formed ANZAC DESERT CORPS on the beach-head. He formed XXII Corps in Adana and destroyed the Russians at Sulemaniye. Indian Reinforcements arrived, with 3rd Corps going to the beach-head. He played for Rps and I played Turkish War Weariness. He attacked the Beach-head, drawing. I played Greece, but King Constantine intervened and Greece joined the Central Powers instead.

Summer 1917

Egyptian and TU MOs TU Max RPs at 7.

I played Russian Reinforcements to bring War Status up to 30. Jeromey played Indian Mutiny, bringing Jihad to 12 and attacking Kermanshah, the Adana beach-head and Trabzon. He won two battles but not the beach-head. I attacked Giresun with the survivors of the Trabzon garrison, doing no damage but wiping them out. The Turks captured Trabzon and besieged Batum, and attacked the Adana beach-head once more, but I held them off with Jafar Pasha’s reroll.

Now there were only SCUs left in Adana and the Anzac Desert Corps remained on the beach-head, so I counterattacked, failing to break through. Jeromey played for Rps, so did I. He moved a Corps to Adana and attacked India with the Afghans. I entrenched on the beach and attacked Bahariya Oasis with Tanks, killing the Senussi. I also attacked and captured Diwaniyeh. He attacked Hamadan, but the Persian Cordon fought off an Ottoman Corps. I played Arab Desertion. He captured Urmia and Erevan and attacked Sollum using No Prisoners. The attack on Sollum failed to capture it, but the surrender of the fort at Batum took Vps up to 20 anyway.

Overview

Something of a catastrophic Allied defeat there. I wasted time with the Russians trying to take a Persian Region, and Jeromey was merciless in exploiting the delay to destroy Russian manpower. The rapid Jihad Revolts were a real boost, and expelling me from Aqaba was a shrewd move as well. The beach-head off Adana was something of a desperate gamble, and when it failed I was left in deep trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After my last game, I concluded that Persia can turn into a quagmire fast. If there's some game-changing, can't-lose, fancy footwork to pull off there, by all means, go for it. Otherwise, it's too easy for the Central Powers to extend your flanks that much farther.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...amazing play. To be fair, you did get some cards exactly when you didn't need them. When I first looked at this scenario, I thought it looked dark for the CP. But, the more I read here, and play on my own, the more I realize that they have a very good possition...if they can hold onto it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.