Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
240 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Tide of Iron Giveaway Drawing Thread (International welcome) CLOSED! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello ladies and gents, as promised here is the Tide of Iron Giveaway thread. Lets go over the specifics, please read them all. I apologize in advance for all the 'bolds' just want to highlight the major points.

What this is
This is the drawing thread where you will be submitting yourselves to win either the Tide of Iron base game or the Days of the Fox expansion from yours truly. They are in used Like New condition and they are FREE except for part of the shipping (see below). At the end of 2 weeks (May 19th, 2009 any entries received after Midnight Eastern Standard Time will NOT be entered), names will be drawn for both the base game and the expansion and the winners announced with a video posted with the lovely soon to be Mrs. Nikitas doing the drawing.

What this isnt
This is not a geekgold contest entry deal, tips are welcomed should you feel like it, nothing but your participation is required for entry.

Why am I doing this?
I am doing this because I appreciate the community here and have been very blessed by it, I in turn would like to return the favor. There are no strings attached besides the below requirements.

What 2 winners will get
Here are the pics of the games 2 lucky winners will be receiving, the base Tide of Iron or the Days of the Fox expansion, the bags I made for both, and the laminated reference sheets.

What we all get
I will try and get someone to do up a microbadge* for the contest and then once thats done get a list of all those who participated to an admin to issue them.
*If you would like to do one up please by all means geek mail your work.

Requirements
You must post a story (at least 3/5 sentences, at most as long as you like) about your most memorable Wargaming experience. Whether it was the day you got your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend to play, to a Con experience, to meeting your favorite designer etc etc. Post your stories here to this thread.

Your stories are not going to be graded or voted on, they are simply you entering your name into the hat.

At the end of your story, please include in bold which game you are entering for, your name will be added to the pot for one or the other NOT both.

This whole thing will be done on the honor system, I ask that those entering for the base game not own it currently, and the same for the expansion. Lets keep it honest folks.

Shipping will be handled as follows:
For the base game I will cover a $10 shipping credit, the winner must cover the rest.
For the expansion I will cover a $5 shipping credit, the winner must cover the rest.
Once the winners are drawn I will figure out the shipping calculations and handle the rest via paypal and Geek Mail.
I personally will cover delivery confirmation and insurance.

International drawee's are welcomed if you are willing to pay shipping after the credit Im issuing. I also dont mind marking it as a gift as it really is (I know how customs charges are for bought items )

After the contest is over and you have received your prize, I ask that you please create a thread here in Wargaming and post a picture of your prize showing it arrived safe and sound, so that way everyone knows this isnt a sham .

The Fine Print
I cannot be held responsible for lost or stolen packages. I will do my best in packaging them with the utmost care etc. I cannot be held responsible for delivery times once the games have been sent. I have no affiliation with Fantasy Flight Games or their partners, these games were not provided by them and are from my personal collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Re: Tide of Iron Giveaway Drawing Thread (International welcome) ENDS MAY 19th 2009!
A little background:

I am a seminarian, meaning I am studying to become a Catholic priest. I live in a dorm style building.

The Story:

I am in the kitchen of the our building playing Field Commander Rommel. I am very happily learning the game and playing out the first scenario. A brother sem. walks in and gives me the, "what the heck are you doing," look. I immediately go into a description of the game, talk about consim, explain about BGG, ad nauseum... The look is still "what the heck."

All I can come up with at this point is: "Hey, some people fish."

If this gets chosen I would have to go for BASE GAME, as I do not own it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tide of Iron Giveaway Drawing Thread (International welcome) ENDS MAY 19th 2009!
Thats perfect Justin, just a reminder, the outcome of the drawing is NOT based upon your stories, no one will 'grade or rate' them, if you enter a story here your name is automatically entered into the hat for the drawing. Its that simple .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I can't believe I'm first (I mean 3rd, I guess I'm a slow typer). I'll try and make it good.

I'll choose a recent story. My Secret Santa bought me Memoir '44 (go Secret Santa!!!), and after a couple of months of wanting to try it out, it finally made it to the table with my girlfriend (who had never played any war games before). About half-way through the first game the light went off in her head and I could see her stratgizing her next moves based on the cards in her hand. After we finished the first campaign she immediately insisted we switch sides and play through the campaign again. I think I got her hooked.

Next on our plate is Tide of Iron (fingers crossed if I win), the Napoleonic Wars, or my old copy of We the People.

Good luck everyone!!!

Abe

Oh, and BASE GAME ENTRY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game entry:

I was at work one day when I stumbled upon a giveaway thread for Tide of Iron. My experience with "wargaming" at the time was Memoir 44, and while I enjoyed it, I thought I could use a game with a touch more depth. Considering ToI both fit that bill and was on my want list, I hastily entered the contest, and with much luck, was chosen the winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
Count me in. Thanks!

Phil, friend, please read the requirements, if you would like to be entered, please follow the guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Most memorable wargame expirience.

As a new wargamer I have limited stories but I was playing Conflict of Heroes Awakening the bear. The germans went on an agressive assault in scenario 1. The rusians had a brutal 2nd turn and nearly wiped out the asulting forces. 1 german unit was unharmed all others were hit or killed. 3 german units were on the edge of a woods where the rusians performed a very agressive counterstrike. All attempts to repel the attack failed resulting in 2 units killed and one hit. This was the first time a unit went bezerk for me. I wanted to play with this so the bezerk unit attacked and wiped out the hole counter attacking force in 1 turn. The beserk unit turned the tide and allowed the germans to regroup. The germans ended up winning where they should have been destroyed.

I would love a copy of the BASE GAME I have played TOI once and enojyed the expirience and I think it would be a good step up for my gaming parnter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here goes. The year was 1984. I wandered into my first real game store (I believe it was Gamesmanship? in the Costa Mesa mall). I was checking out all of these games I had never before seen. Suddenly, next to a rack of Ares magazines, I see these rows of wargames (I had never before seen a wargame). I asked the clerk about the company who made many of the games before me. "Are Spi games any good (I pronounced it 'spy')?" He corrected me in a very lofty manner and so I left the store feeling about 2 feet tall. But before leaving, I purchased a copy of Pea Ridge (by S-P-I). When I got home, I opened it up, tried to read the rules, was completely baffled, and threw the game in the closet. Two years later I finally played my first wargame. To this day, I have never played Pea Ridge, and never will.

Entry for the Base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Most memorable wargame experience:

I assume Warhammer counts... but anyways:

I was playing my Chaos Khorne Mortals against my friend's Lizardmen army in a 1000 pt battle. The battle was going about as we expected slow approach by me with the skinks harassing my flanks landing a few hits. The big event happened when his Kroxigors charged my knights (I misjudged the charge) and they were all cut down except for my Lord. His attack back massacred the Kroxigor unit and despite losing the battle he failed to flee. Over the next few turns the Chaos Lord single handedly tore three units to pieces. Every hit he landed resulted in a kill and he never failed to hit. He wiped out a unit of Cold One Riders and a couple units of Saurus Infantry. The Lizardmen failed on all of their morale checks and then were cut down when they fled. The game ended up being a complete massacre of the Lizardmen army. This was just about the last game that we played before quitting Warhammer (in large part due to the strength of my Chaos army.)

If this is good enough to be accepted, I would like to enter for the base game of Tide of Iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:

I assume Warhammer counts... but anyways:

Your in friend, Wargaming whether its with a board or tabletop counts!

P.S. Blood for the Blood God and skulls for his throne! (Khorne is OBVIOUSLY the best 40k God out there )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be going for the Base Game.

My most memorable wargaming experience? I don't think that any of the games I've played could be counted as a wargame. My wargaming virginity needs to be taken, and I want Tide of Iron to take me and have its way with me!

(Does this count, or do I need to go out there and throw myself at the first wargame I find, writing all of the naughty details here afterwards?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MIB 8686 wrote:

My most memorable wargaming experience? I don't think that any of the games I've played could be counted as a wargame. My wargaming virginity needs to be taken, and I want Tide of Iron to take me and have its way with me!

(Does this count, or do I need to go out there and throw myself at the first wargame I find, writing all of the naughty details here afterwards?)

This is fine, as long as its about wargaming is all Im requiring, it doesnt have to be about playing a game etc, just your most memorable experience about the Wargaming hobby in general!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Game entry:

After over a year of having Friedrich in my games closet, I finally managed to convince some friends to play.

We managed to get everything set up and I was Prussia. We played five tense turns and just before the very first fate card was to be turned over, Austria won the day and the game was over.

Darn it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
MIB 8686 wrote:

This is fine, as long as its about wargaming is all Im requiring, it doesnt have to be about playing a game etc, just about the hobby in general!

So my previous post about being excited about Tide of Iron and wanting it to be my first wargame will count, since it's about the hobby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hough
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Memoir '44 about 2 months ago and got my girlfriend to commit to playing it. Last weekend she asked if we could play it, and as much as I hated myself at that moment, I said "No. It's not ready to be played." She looked at me in shock, as if I was turning down a marriage proposal. I just can't play it until all of my pieces are painted and my tiles are custom. I think I might have made the wrong choice. cry

Tide of Iron Base Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the expansion

I guess my most memorable experience was when my wife told me that she actually enjoyed playing Memoir 44 with me. Up until that point, I thought she just played it with me to make me happy. When we play, she gets an extra command card. That usually makes for a pretty close game.

We recently bought Conflict of Heroes and will hopefully be trying it out soon.

My wife's cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gustafson
United States
Belchertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Though, I'm unsure if it qualifies as a wargame (I actually own quite a few "real" wargames, but have not as yet played them). While waiting for a medical discharge from the Army (back in 82?) I was stationed near the hospital in Ft Lewis, Washington. The servicemen would sometimes have an impromptu "Risk" game - when one player dropped out due to the length of play or the time- another would take his place. Made for differing playing styles. I did poorly, but managed to last from early evening to shower time the next morning. Very memorable.

I'ld have to go for the base game as I don't have it.

Thanks for your generosity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Silva Jr.
United States
Carol Stream
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Look Sir!...Sand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also be going for the base game.

My first experience with a wargame was when I first opened my copy of ASL Starter Kit #1. I slowly but surely worked my way through the rules and finally a light bulb went on in my head:"this is why they say you should get someone to teach you how to play it instead of learning it on your own."

Later on I tried B-17 Flying Fortress and was really hooked.

-Simon
-----------------------
Remember: electronic stuff stops working if its smoke leaks out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great jobs so far everyone! Im really enjoying reading these!

If you've posted a story as per the guidelines about the wargaming hobby you are entered, not to worry, there is no wargame snobbery here. Risk is allowed, etc etc etc. You will not be disqualified for your story being about Risk or a light wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in high school was really into minature (1/72nd scale) wargaming. Because my friends and I didn't have a whole lot of money and the small town we lived in didn't really have a broad selection of models/miniatures, our battles were an interesting collection of weapons to say the least.

I remember one of our first games, I had built a Churchill, Humber, and a Crusader. I had three platoons - one British desert, one US Army and a set of ANZACs. Hardly representative but we had fun nonetheless.

Base game please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Engle
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of years ago we were playing 6 player Star Fleet Battles, 1 ship each, 2 teams of 3, Federation(my side) vs. Romulan. A few turns into the game a Romulan war eagle broke away and headed for the Federation ships. We gave chase and about 2 turns later we suddenly thought, 'What if he dropped a space mine?'. Of course the next impulse all 3 of our ships moved and hit the minesurprise We were using plotted movement, not talking about our moves, using 3 different plots at two speeds and hit it at the same time. What are the odds of that? We spent the rest of the game trying to rebuild our front shields.

Please put me down for the BASE GAME, thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the great thing about wargaming; you so often get great narratives. Here's a story I don't think I've posted on here yet.

Three friends and I are playing Star Fleet Battles with a few of the expansions. It's a small pick-up game; we broke up into two teams, each of us with one small cruiser or a destroyer or something. I can't even remember the sides; rather, it's for one event that this was a memorable game. One of us was playing the Andromedans and they attempted to displace before some seeking weapons found him. Well, he rolled the dreaded 6 and so didn't leave his hex. Next, he decided to HET. He'd already used his "free" HET, and rolled a 6 and failed this one, too. He then proceeded to roll to see if he tumbled. A 1! Yay! Then we looked up the roll and saw that a 1 was a failure in this case. Thus, we all got to watch as the poor little Andro tumbled through space after smashing through some plasma torpedoes. laugh

I'm entering for the expansion, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played the first scenario in Battlelore (Agincourt), each taking a side and I thoroughly expected to mop the floor with her, considering she rarely plays wargame-style games at all (her favorite game is Settlers of Catan, to give you an idea of what she likes), however, she cleaned my clock with the French, racing around with her Cavalry and demolishing my English longbow units, so much for Henry the Fifth's famous speech. And when I took over as the French, I barely won as she defly used the terrain to her advantage and seemed like a natural at Guerilla warfare. Who knew I was playing against a female Rommel?

This is my entry - thanks for the kind and generous offer here, Luftwaffe Flak. Class act all the way.

I recently had to sell my copy due to financial issues (jobless still for several months now) so I'm hoping fate smiles on my entry as I miss playing this cool game. Oh, my entry is for the base game of Tide of Iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since risk is allowed:
The game is Risk Godstorm and I managed to get a game going with my son and my fiance. Things were pretty much back and forth between the three of us through the first 4 epochs(there are only 5 in the game). My son was getting pretty aggressive in the last (5) epoch and swallowed up most of my fiances lands. He even attacked my borders that were heavily guarded. He thinned his army so he had just 1 soldier on each land that he owned and now had the majority at the end of his turn....However..I had a card that extended the game one more Epoch!!!! I piled my forces on the board and marched through his lands as if there was red carpet laid out for me. He pouted and muttered about the cheapness of it all and I couldn't stop smiling. I win! My son finishes 2nd but has fun attacking the fiance in the underworld.

Tide of Iron base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not quite wargamer but from time to time me and some of my friends sit down and play a bit. But here's the most memorable:

We played Tide of Iron with one of my friends. Me, I'm totally crappy with dice but he wasn't. As he rolled fives and sixes, I rolled ones and twos. So after assaulting one squad in the woods with several units and even one armored car. I managed to invade the trees but the car was heavily damaged and only one troop remained.
As I remember I rolled 18 dice and only 4 of them weren't ones... I'd say that's memorable...

And you wish that it stayed that way...When playing A&A:Anniversary, I only rolled fives and sixes.

Well... I'd be in expansion only as I already own my copy of ToI...
But I like the bags
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.