Subject: Query regarding placement of PC markers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
This situation has just cropped up in a PBEM game. My opponent wishes to use a discard to convert a PC marker. I believe this is not possible because discards can only be used to 'place' PC markers - I understand this to mean in unoccupied areas - and that 'conversion' of an existing PC requires the activation of an army using an appropriate Operations card. It could be that I am misinterpreting the term 'place' to exclude 'convert'.

Can discards be used to 'convert' PC markers? Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry, I omitted to mention that the area in question contains an army which wishes to convert the PC marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gunar
United States
Ringwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules say the following:

DISCARDING EVENT STRATEGY CARDS
Players can discard any Strategy Card (other than a Mandatory Event Strategy Card). A discarded Event Card can be used as a Limited 1 Operations Card: it may not be used to Activate Field Generals or Regional Generals for movement or Bombardment, but it may be used to place a PC marker, Activate one Raiding Local Notable or for Recruitment, just as for other Operations Cards).

If your friend is using a discard to activate a local notable, then he can do the conversion. However, if he is using it to activate an Army and then using that Army's movement points to convert the PC marker, then this is clearly an illegal play.devil A discard "may not be used to Activate Field Generals or Regional Generals."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Well, that'll teach me to answer without thinking! See below for the correct answer to your question....

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pnorell wrote:
This situation has just cropped up in a PBEM game. My opponent wishes to use a discard to convert a PC marker. I believe this is not possible because discards can only be used to 'place' PC markers - I understand this to mean in unoccupied areas - and that 'conversion' of an existing PC requires the activation of an army using an appropriate Operations card. It could be that I am misinterpreting the term 'place' to exclude 'convert'.

Can discards be used to 'convert' PC markers? Many thanks

I think your opponent is right. Converting enemy PC markers on an area with a friendly army is also referred to as "placing" in the rulebook:

A discarded Event Card can be used as a Limited 1 Operations Card: it may not be used to Activate Field Generals or Regional Generals for movement or Bombardment, but it may be used to place a PC marker, Activate one Raiding Local Notable or for Recruitment, just as for other Operations Cards).

11.1:
Operations Card
A PC marker can be placed in any open Area or in a non- Fortress Area with a friendly Army or Local Notable (which can replace an enemy PC marker).
[/u]

Why would "with a friendly Army" be mentioned here, if it does not refer to a non-open Area (an non-fortress area with an enemy marker). There is nowhere in the rulebook a distinction between "placing" and "replacing" or "converting". IF placing is allowed in an area it implies replacing an enemy marker.
If replacing enemy PC markers is not allowed, "open" or "neutral" area is always explicitly mentioned.

Cheers
Etagimbo

PS: I am not his email opponent ;).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to all of you who replied to my query. I am happy to go with the interpretation that 'placing' includes 'converting.' My opponent will be delighted. UKC is one of the best rulebooks I've come across for clarity and ease of reference and it's always good to clear up ambiguities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
For the record, I received an official reply from Charles Vasey via GMT. The conversion of a PC marker is NOT allowed using a discard. The action requires the movement of an army. There you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pnorell wrote:
For the record, I received an official reply from Charles Vasey via GMT. The conversion of a PC marker is NOT allowed using a discard. The action requires the movement of an army. There you have it.

This isn't in any way official, it's just my reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It's my reading as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.