Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules to this game, and I have several questions.

1) How do you perform the pull in the beginning? Does you treat it as a 'launch' move, rolling 2 dice and adding any bonus for the player doing the throw?

2) Do you play to a certain score, or time limit, or what? The league I briefly played in the games were first to a certain score won the game.

3) Do you reset after every point?

and more as a game quality question,

4) It seems like the game very much favors the person who rolls high. Given that you are often just rolling 2 regular dice, how do you account for the lucky nature of the game? It seems that tactical play is not very well rewarded (having to roll a 10 or higher to intercept), and that some aspects of the game that I do remember aren't represented at all (the marker can force a side of the field, blocking happened more often than outright interceptions). Why do you allow for such a poor chance for interception even when the disc's flight is directly through a defensive player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Porazzi
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
>I read the rules to this game, and I have several questions.
1) How do you perform the pull in the beginning? Does you treat it as a 'launch' move, rolling 2 dice and adding any bonus for the player doing the throw?

You are free to do in this way: that was my first idea.
Then I playtested the game maaaany times with several kind of gamers and also with my daughters.
They suggested me to make the game simple, to allow new gamers to know the game quickly, and be interested in this sport.
Now all my three daughters and many of their friends play real Ultimate Frisbee
Considering that most of times the pull in arrives directly to other side of the field,
I preferred to give simple rules, starting the offensive team with the disk on his goal line.

>2) Do you play to a certain score, or time limit, or what? The league I briefly played in the games were first to a certain score won the game.

http://warangel.it/UltE.htm
"In the boardgame, the team who first scores 3 points wins.
Or, players may agree to the best score after 15 or 30 minutes."
Here on website I added many things, such as Create YOUR Ultimate,
allowing people to order the game with the Teams in the colours of they own real teams.

>3) Do you reset after every point?

Yes.

>and more as a game quality question,
4) It seems like the game very much favors the person who rolls high. Given that you are often just rolling 2 regular dice, how do you account for the lucky nature of the game? It seems that tactical play is not very well rewarded (having to roll a 10 or higher to intercept), and that some aspects of the game that I do remember aren't represented at all (the marker can force a side of the field, blocking happened more often than outright interceptions). Why do you allow for such a poor chance for interception even when the disc's flight is directly through a defensive player?

If you use the "interceptors" they have chances to intercept with 12, 11, 10 and 9.
I playtested the game maaaany times and I see it is appreciated by players and children because it is fast like the real sport: many plays with a real countdown "10,9,8..." to have fast moves.
If you wish a game with more interceptions simply upgrade the possibilty of interception to all athlets.
I mean this is just a game, a home made game: you can add rules or create a new game like I did with all the rules and ideas you have.
You are welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i7dealer wrote:
Why do you allow for such a poor chance for interception even when the disc's flight is directly through a defensive player?

Because Angelo's a brill handler who can break the mark at will?
devil

We've tweaked the original rules a bit, too. In order to introduce the pull to the board game, we put the disc on a handler, trace a trajectory to one sideline, and roll the dice. That's the number of spaces we move the disc back into the field (at 120 degrees, as stipulated in the rules).

I like it, because it further simulates real ulti: sometimes a great pull puts teams waaaay deep in their endzone to start. Other times they end up just past midfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.