Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our groups first play of this game was pretty disappointing....we had been looking forward to trying it out for a few weeks now.

But after playing it I can only hope we were doing a thing or two because if we werent then this game turned out to be a oretty big BUST.

1st thing, it seemed that each adventure went by too fast (most were 4 tokens long) and was over before all 4 players got a 2nd turn.

2nd- at then end of the 2nd age the scores were 4,2,2,0

3rd the board seemed too constricted with 4 players, most guys were building up their borders and the intriege aspect of thegame seemed like it meant little.

please tell us we played it wrong, is this game really this "meh"?

a few questions....am I correct that all your units start in your home province? but the other colored provs are firendly to you and enemy to the other players?

also for anemissary to try to "tower" another prov in a 4 players game would mean that militry action must 1st be done? (since there are no neutral provs in a 4 players game)

also, if someone puts up a tower hw do you remove it? military, intriege or either?

again, we expected alot more considering were are talking about FFG and Conan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brent vandevoord
United States
silvis
Illinois
flag msg tools
i was one of the players in this game mentioned, i feel that this was a huge let down by fantasy flight(the first bad game i have played made by them). hopefully we were missing something and not playing correctly, but horribly disapointed either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one thing you did wrong for sure:

mhutton wrote:
a few questions....am I correct that all your units start in your home province? but the other colored provs are firendly to you and enemy to the other players?

Only your home province is friendly to you at the beginning. All provinces with a campaign track are neutral and can be taken over by intrigue. The color coding only tells you which general region they belong to, which is important for intrigue contests and some goals.

Quote:
also, if someone puts up a tower hw do you remove it? military, intriege or either?

Military always works (the tower takes a hit if no defending armies are left). Intrigue only works if no defending armies are present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you were playing wrong (so put your disappointment on hold for a while, eh?).

All provinces start out neutral (except for the four starting kingdoms) until taken either through a military or intrigue contest.

Hope this will provide you with a better game next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for these two issues:

mhutton wrote:
1st thing, it seemed that each adventure went by too fast (most were 4 tokens long) and was over before all 4 players got a 2nd turn.

That can happen if you get a lot of court/Conan actions. But maybe you also took too many tokens. There are only two ways a player can get a token:

1. The Conan player get a token at the beginning of his turn.

2. A non-Conan player gets a token if he chooses a court/Conan action.

Importat: The Conan player does not get a token for choosing court/Conan. And using a wild die for a court action does not give you a Conan action, thus no token either.

Quote:
2nd- at then end of the 2nd age the scores were 4,2,2,0

That may happen at the end of the first age if you got really few military actions. The mistake was probably that you treated neutral provinces as friendly. I.e., usually players will conquer some 3 and 4 value provinces adjacent to their home province early in the game and get higher scores by the end of the second age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:

Wow, there is wrong and then there's wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am good for getting it WRONG like that when playing a game for the first time too.....now i have to hope that our first game didnt wreck it for future sessions....the worst part is i read the rules several times and it seems like the only major thing that i did get wrong was this......100 different things and the one thing i get wrong was a big one?!

at least that gives me hope for this being a good game, because that fact alone seems to clear up alot of the problems we had (board stuffiness, red getting to many starting provs and too many raider tokens) no wonder it didnt seem like much was going on.

right now i really hate myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where does it say in the rules that all other same-colored provs are neutral????

i understand that this is the way we should have played it, but i still can't see in the rules where i missed this???

could someone please point this out to me???

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where does it say that they're friendly?

Also, on page 6, under Important Terms:

Quote:
A friendly province is any province a player conquers or makes an alliance with. A player's home province is always considered to be friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
were does it say that they aren't.....i understand what you are saying, but giving someone purple figures and a purple kingdom surrounded by other pruple provinces meant to me that they were part of your territory....i understand now that was to help by breaking to board into 4 zones for strat cards, but it should have probably been mentioned in the rules.

also, if a person has a tower in a territory with an emmissary can you preform a military action vs it with army units...or must it be met with emissaries? and is the tower the olny figure that gets discarded if the attacker is successful or does the defender emmessary go to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Thomsen
Denmark
Gistrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The color of the provences can create some confussion, as you easily tend to believe that just because it has the same color as your home provence it is friendly when the color codings just refer to the bonus you'll get during intrigue actions.

Regarding your concern with the adventures finishing too soon, I had the same issues during my first play. But after a few plays it becomes more obvious why you should/shouldn't take the role of Conan

Have a few more games and You'll love it coz it is by far one of the better games FFG has published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
also, if a person has a tower in a territory with an emmissary can you preform a military action vs it with army units...or must it be met with emissaries? and is the tower the olny figure that gets discarded if the attacker is successful or does the defender emmessary go to?

Emmissaries are powerless in the presence of enemy armies (the section on intrigue contests tells you that they are not permitted in a province containing an enemy army or fort).

You can always attack an enemy tower with your armies. If it is defended by enemy armies, the tower will be the last enemy unit to go (see siege rules). The presence of enemy emissaries does not matter in this case. They are also not affected by the outcome of the battle.

If a tower is not defended by armies, you can also try to remove it with an intrigue contest using one of your emissaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
were does it say that they aren't.....

A friendly province is defined as a province containing one of your control markers (tower, fort, city) or your home province. Since no province contains a control marker at the beginning of the game, only home provinces are friendly to anybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, i see and understand now but wish the rules were written a little better because i am pretty sure i am not the only person to make this mistake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I never thought that all the red belonged to Aquilonia, partly because I read the rules and examples in the rules, but also mainly because they a different color red. Since the Home Province is so dark, I was able to tell that none of the other provinces belonged to you.

At any rate, reread the rules, you were playing a few things wrong. First, Conan is a little slower than you were probably playing. Remember, the ONLY way Conan moves is by the Conan Player, but if the Conan Player moves Conan through a Court+Conan action die, the Conan Player does NOT receive an Adventure Token. We were screwing that one up first time we played, so the adventures went too quick (and Conan was always failing).

Second, if you are reinforcing as your military action, you place ONE unit on (up to) two DIFFERENT areas. You cannot place them both on the same area (another rule we were screwing up).

Third, the game can be low scoring. We didn't break 20 until the final end-scoring (I think we were low teens at the end of the Third Age), so don't worry too much about that. Remember that you score points only through Military Conquest and Age-Ending. You also do not LOSE points if you lose a territory.

Lastly, check out some of the strategy articles here. We almost never played Intrigue because we didn't understand them very well. Rereading things, I can see why they make sense (gold is a lot more important than you might think, especially in stocking up on units). Try more Intrigue, especially early on, and you'll see what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brent vandevoord
United States
silvis
Illinois
flag msg tools
even doing this correctly this game is short of great, i can live just fine if i never play this again. the adventure tracks still go way too fast for the rest of the game, the game feels like a complicated version of risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 3 times now with 3 people and found the game duration about perfect (2.5 to 3 hours every time, will probably get shorter as we are now more familiar with the game). Also, we never felt you couldn't do enough in the available time. Are you sure you handled the adventure track correctly? It could be you had an unsually high number of court/Conan events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brent vandevoord
United States
silvis
Illinois
flag msg tools
the average per fate roll was at most three court/conan dice, so it could've been making the adventure track go fast. there were times that the adventure track was completed with out the conan controller getting to use him on that adventure (just the way it goes if you have an adventure with three tokens and you roll three court/conan dice, because of the acting conan player used the last fate dice and the next player rolls them all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brent vandevoord
United States
silvis
Illinois
flag msg tools
we obviously didn't play the controlling conan correctly, if we allowed that player to take a token, but honestly we played it last night and i don't remember if we did that. the run through for us, to me was a blah experience, nothing great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me clarify, the Conan Player *is* supposed to take an Adventure Token at the start of his turn and only if he advances Conan towards the Adventure Destination. If he does not make Conan get closer then an Adventure Token is discarded (which raises the question, what happens if Conan is already at the location, does CP get the token if he leaves him there, or does he not get it at all?).

The only time CP doesn't take a token is when he uses a Court+Conan die. However, if any other player uses a Court+Conan die, they DO take a token.

Having said all that, we kind of feel Conan's adventures are short, even when playing properly. We're thinking about just adding 1 to all Adventure Lengths. Which does make me ask, why are there 5 spots for tokens? Are there 5 length adventures? I don't recall seeing any...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
bvan78 wrote:
we obviously didn't play the controlling conan correctly, if we allowed that player to take a token, but honestly we played it last night and i don't remember if we did that. the run through for us, to me was a blah experience, nothing great.

If you were playing the rule wrong that all neutral provinces start off affilliated to a particular player, then that would make a pretty big difference to the game! So of course C+C dice are going to be the first chosen in most cases (meaning adventures will be completed quicker) seeing as all territory is already "claimed" and any other actions (military and intrigue) might seem more trouble than they're worth.

Don't pre-judge the game based on one experience where it was played very, very wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
bvan78 wrote:
even doing this correctly this game is short of great, i can live just fine if i never play this again. the adventure tracks still go way too fast for the rest of the game, the game feels like a complicated version of risk.

On the surface it can feel that way: push some guys around, roll some dice. But the flavor of this game lies in the Kingdom decks. New players will undervalue these cards, there so much going on already. But get a few of these in play and you'll start to see the difference. With the proper use of these cards you can really skew the dice in your favor. Combine a couple of cards and Conan and you can remove an opponent from a territory and conquer it all in the same turn.

Give it another go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brent vandevoord
United States
silvis
Illinois
flag msg tools
i do understand your point about the neutral provinces, but most of the time the players wanted to do court/conan action to use a kingdom card.
bleached_lizard wrote:
bvan78 wrote:

If you were playing the rule wrong that all neutral provinces start off affilliated to a particular player, then that would make a pretty big difference to the game! So of course C+C dice are going to be the first chosen in most cases (meaning adventures will be completed quicker) seeing as all territory is already "claimed" and any other actions (military and intrigue) might seem more trouble than they're worth.

Don't pre-judge the game based on one experience where it was played very, very wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brent vandevoord
United States
silvis
Illinois
flag msg tools
drabel wrote:
bvan78 wrote:

On the surface it can feel that way: push some guys around, roll some dice. But the flavor of this game lies in the Kingdom decks. New players will undervalue these cards, there so much going on already. But get a few of these in play and you'll start to see the difference. With the proper use of these cards you can really skew the dice in your favor. Combine a couple of cards and Conan and you can remove an opponent from a territory and conquer it all in the same turn.

Give it another go.

most of the players wanted to get the kingdom cards out and play them, so we were doing the court/conan dice if we could choose one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
bvan78 wrote:

most of the players wanted to get the kingdom cards out and play them, so we were doing the court/conan dice if we could choose one.

And did they have enough gold to play and refresh play-on-table cards as necessary?

Having the cards is one thing, using the cards is another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.