Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of drama in the Semi-Final and 383 voters, thanks for taking part!

The Final is made up of the top 4 films from each semi final.
Scoring based on average rating (Best=4, Awesome=3, Great=2, Good=1, Okay=0, Bad=-2). Ratings overall fell from the Quarter finals, probably because of the higher level of competition. Here were the average scores:

2.81 Band of Brothers (series)
2.05 The Great Escape
2.02 The Longest Day
2.11 A Bridge Too Far
2.18 Seven Samurai
2.09 The Bridge on the River Kwai
1.66 Gettysburg (extended)
1.63 Glory

2.64 Das Boot
2.47 Saving Private Ryan
2.06 Patton
1.93 Apocalypse Now
2.06 Zulu
2.08 Lawrence of Arabia
2.04 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
1.81 Tora, Tora, Tora

So The Great Escape, Zulu and Dr.Strangelove all go out by a whisker.
Or they would, except people marginally voted that Band of Brothers should not be in a "Movies" competition. So the Final will not feature the highest scoring entrant! This lets The Great Escape make a great escape and make it into the final....where I am also going to let the other 2 near misses in:

Poll: Best War Movie - FINAL
Which is the Best War Movie?
Das Boot
Saving Private Ryan
Seven Samurai
A Bridge Too Far
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia
Patton
The Great Escape
Zulu
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
      435 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

But for you Band of Brothers fans, here is another final with BoB and the other big scorers battling it out for best War Production on Celluloid:

Poll: Best War Production on Celluloid
Which is the Best?
Band of Brothers
Das Boot
Saving Private Ryan
Seven Samurai
      372 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to invite anyone who took part in this discussion and the polls to come to my house and bring their favorite war movies! It appears as though I'd enjoy everything they'd bring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I've been following this poll with interest but am very puzzled by the inclusion of Dr. Strangelove and The Seven Samurai. Don't get me wrong, they're great movies but "war" is neither the central theme nor the actual setting.

I mean, 7 Samurai isn't even a war -- you can't have a war with 40 bandits!

And, while there's a few moments of fighting in Dr. Strangelove and it's about nuclear annihilation, there's no actual war taking place.

I think they're in there on simply because people like them (and rightly so). But why not include any movie that has a fight in it?

Lastly, I can't believe Full Metal Jacket didn't make it into the finals. BS on that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Im surprised neither We Were Soldiers and Black Hawk Down made it, I would agree with the above, these 2 would have made much better entries than The 7 Samurai and Dr. Strangelove.

I guess with a poll like this is hard to encompass everything but in my mind 'Best War Movie' should be those who stick to the truth the most while presenting it in the form of a good movie/show. Band of Brothers, We Were Solders, and Black Hawk Down are the top 3 in that area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I've been following this poll with interest but am very puzzled by the inclusion of Dr. Strangelove and The Seven Samurai. Don't get me wrong, they're great movies but "war" is neither the central theme nor the actual setting.

And, while there's a few moments of fighting in Dr. Strangelove and it's about nuclear annihilation, there's no actual war taking place.

I think they're in there on simply because people like them (and rightly so). But why not include any movie that has a fight in it?

I'd also add The Great Escape to the list of movies that shouldn't be in the poll. It's a great movie, but The war is just the backdrop. A couple people get shot, but that's just cuz they're running, not fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This was a tough, tough choice. I hummed and hawed between "Zulu" and "Lawrence of Arabia" for several minutes, then went with the latter. The level of acting, directing, cinematography, etc. make it just not a great war movie, but a great movie in general.

That being said, when channel surfing I will hesitate when coming upon "Lawrence of Arabia", but I will stop and watch when I see "Zulu".

Tough decision....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Novean
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Im surprised neither We Were Soldiers and Black Hawk Down made it, I would agree with the above, these 2 would have made much better entries than The 7 Samurai and Dr. Strangelove.

I guess with a poll like this is hard to encompass everything but in my mind 'Best War Movie' should be those who stick to the truth the most while presenting it in the form of a good movie/show. Band of Brothers, We Were Solders, and Black Hawk Down are the top 3 in that area.

+1 to everything you and Bob said. Might as well add James Bond and Rambo into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points made about the poll.
I am kind of surprised myself as I would have thought that a lot of the people who'd respond to these polls were in on the original thread that generated the list of films.
As such it has always been about War Movies.
I have stated a couple of times that people should vote "Bad" if they didn't think a film fitted into this category. That might go against the grain when voting on a film that is genuinely great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:

I'd also add The Great Escape to the list of movies that shouldn't be in the poll. It's a great movie, but The war is just the backdrop. A couple people get shot, but that's just cuz they're running, not fighting.

OK someone is going to mention it and maybe someone with a more vehement approach than me. The Great Escape was based on a true event and 50 POWs were murdered by the Gestapo while, not running away. but relieveng themselves from a long journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Wayne - The Green Berets

Because nothing says Vietnam like filming in a Georgia pine forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I missed the early rounds voting on this. I would have voted for GLORY and GETTYSBURG. SERGEANT YORK and the Russian "WAR AND PEACE" would have also made my semifinals, in addition to some of the fine films already listed. And, in terms of battle scenes, "HENRY V" by Kenneth Branagh had one of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I haven't seen Zulu but I will now seek it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running this series of polls.

Reading some of the comments in the semi-finals thread, I'm curious about opinions on "The Worst War Movies".... future poll? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Zulu is a truly fantastic movie... it is only that Seven Samurai is better.

And probably neither of them really fit what a lot of people would consider as a war movie. First requirement of "war movie" - it is a movie. That played at a theater. So anything that appears only on televisions and not at the cineplex should not be allowed, no matter how good it is. Band of Brothers fails this rule.

Second requirement is probably that it be about a war, not just warriors or warlike behavior or a wartime period of history. Seven Samurai fails this second rule. It just isn't about a war. It's about warriors, but not war. Zulu is about a famous battle in a war, so I think it qualifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:

Reading some of the comments in the semi-finals thread, I'm curious about opinions on "The Worst War Movies".... future poll? devil

The problem with running a Worst War Movie poll is that most of us have not seen enough truly lousy war movies to even consider them. For example, I watched two WW2 flicks just this past week: The Black Brigade and Heroes in Hell -- I had never heard of either one before I viewed them, but both would problably rank in my Worst 20 War Movies.

What this means is that responders are highly likely to vote for well-known films that they hate, but a significant number of folks like. For example, I think the remake of The Thin Red Line was an absolutely horrible waste of effort, let alone a bad war movie. And Full Metal Jacket wouldn't make my Top 100. But both films were critically acclaimed, and both received Best War Movie votes earlier in this poll.

One thing the Best or Worst poll could use is a definition of "war movie."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZULU in HDTV with surround-sound...Can war movies ever get any better????

I agree with the above post... I love The Great Escape, but it pales in my eyes when I compare it to the book (as all movies do). I enjoy SPR and like Kwai, but ZULU commands that I watch it when I see it's on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
frontlinegeneral wrote:

The problem with running a Worst War Movie poll is that most of us have not seen enough truly lousy war movies to even consider them. For example, I watched two WW2 flicks just this past week: The Black Brigade and Heroes in Hell -- I had never heard of either one before I viewed them, but both would problably rank in my Worst 20 War Movies.

What this means is that responders are highly likely to vote for well-known films that they hate, but a significant number of folks like. For example, I think the remake of The Thin Red Line was an absolutely horrible waste of effort, let alone a bad war movie. And Full Metal Jacket wouldn't make my Top 100. But both films were critically acclaimed, and both received Best War Movie votes earlier in this poll.

One thing the Best or Worst poll could use is a definition of "war movie."

Good points Bill! I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

True, but it only takes 19 of them in planes to start one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
Burnham wrote:

OK someone is going to mention it and maybe someone with a more vehement approach than me. The Great Escape was based on a true event and 50 POWs were murdered by the Gestapo while, not running away. but relieveng themselves from a long journey.

I don't think that being "true" makes it any more deserving than if it were fictionalized. Second, in my mind, a movie has to have at least a little bit of fighting to be considered a war movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I haven't seen Zulu but I will now seek it out.

Zulu is a fine movie -- I've watched it over a dozen times. While it gets most of the history correct, there are some errors . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_inaccuracies_in_the_...

I would also recommend that before you watch it, watch Zulu Dawn, which dramatizes the events leading to and the battle of Isandlwana (sp?). An all-star British cast includes Peter O'Toole, John Mills, Bob Hoskins, Simon Ward, and (?) Burt Lancaster.

The heroic stand at Rorke's Drift (Zulu) occurred the day following the catastrophic battle of Isandlwana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
whatambush wrote:
Burnham wrote:

I don't think that being "true" makes it any more deserving than if it were fictionalized. Second, in my mind, a movie has to have at least a little bit of fighting to be considered a war movie.

My "gripe" was with the 48 men who were forgotten, I really didn't explain that point of my original reply. That aside, the point about what should be considered as a war movie is an interesting one. Films like A Bridge Too Far or Zulu are probably accepted by most if not all as a war movie. I consider The Great Escape as a war movie too as its theme is one related with war. I can see your point about fighting but this then may exclude films such as Das Boot and Ice Cold in Alex which shows us hardly any battle scenes if any. Then there are the movies where a war appears somewhere like The Sound of Music which to me is not a war film. I guess it may depend on each and everyone's meaning of the term "War" If it relates to just battle scenes or does it also relate to everything else that goes on such as resistance, war production, assassination attempts etc

Would love to hear what other people think on what is and isn't a war movie.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
whatambush wrote:
Burnham wrote:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but were there fighting scenes in M*A*S*H? I'd consider it a war movie, with or without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running the poll.

I think allowing band of brothers was a huge mistake. If you include that there are tons of TV shows that should be included, as was said, it has to be shown in a theatre.

Interestingly I think my taste is incredibly different from most people. I for one think Saving Private Ryan is not a good movie (although the first scene is an amazing piece of cinema). Anyway there is no accounting for taste I guess. However it is interesting to what people like, even if I have to see favourite after favourite loose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
Burnham wrote:
whatambush wrote:
Burnham wrote:

My "gripe" was with the 48 men who were forgotten, I really didn't explain that point of my original reply. That aside, the point about what should be considered as a war movie is an interesting one. Films like A Bridge Too Far or Zulu are probably accepted by most if not all as a war movie. I consider The Great Escape as a war movie too as its theme is one related with war. I can see your point about fighting but this then may exclude films such as Das Boot and Ice Cold in Alex which shows us hardly any battle scenes if any. Then there are the movies where a war appears somewhere like The Sound of Music which to me is not a war film. I guess it may depend on each and everyone's meaning of the term "War" If it relates to just battle scenes or does it also relate to everything else that goes on such as resistance, war production, assassination attempts etc

Would love to hear what other people think on what is and isn't a war movie.

Mike

Concerning the 50 people, iirc (which I may not be) it only shows a couple (or few) people get shot, it's just that later on back at the "camp" it's like "Oh, 50 people were killed" and that's all there is about it. As for what counts as a war movie, you've got some good points, I'd definitely consider Das Boot a war movie (I've never heard of Ice Cold in Alex so I can't comment on that) and Sound of Music is definitely not. I guess I don't know how to define a war movie because even though I agree with what you said, I still don't consider The Great Escape a war movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
Thanks for running the poll.

I think allowing band of brothers was a huge mistake. If you include that there are tons of TV shows that should be included, as was said, it has to be shown in a theatre.

Quite a lot of TV shows were included. Only 2 made it as far as the Quarter Finals. Blackadder Goes Forth was the other one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.