Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the stock photo I used as the basis for the Hover Biker gangsoldiers in the pay of the Mass Corporations in the game of Cell

Here is the finished card:

It is set on a color background (here being green) that represents the 4 different Corporations: red, green, grey and orange. Corp symbols to be added for style and for the vision/color impaired.

Think this is good enough for print? To be honest I think if I fiddle with it any more I am going to spoil what I have...

The police bike photo is used under the Wikimedia Commons open license. Please go here to learn more about how you can use photos and graphics or contribute to that effort:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Commons

Hover Biker image is © 2009 of Delmer Esau. All Rights Reserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Friendly Neighborhood Hairfarmer
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
badge
The rain in Spain falls mainly on Edmonds
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:

Think this is good enough for print?

I think it looks great If this for a new game your designing (if so can you give us any hints)? A game with a hover bike thumbsup

I want to know more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Del,

I think it's okay, but comparing it to your Samurai card (which looks excellent!),

...I'd say you could do a bit more with the hover biker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the bikes different colors? Being a red bike on a red background won't work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toedash wrote:
Del_Esau wrote:

Think this is good enough for print?

I think it looks great If this for a new game your designing (if so can you give us any hints)? A game with a hover bike thumbsup

I want to know more

This is it here: Cell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Del,

I think it's okay, but comparing it to your Samurai card (which looks excellent!),

...I'd say you could do a bit more with the hover biker.

Think maybe give the rider a darker grey tone? Get rid of the goofy white?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Are the bikes different colors? Being a red bike on a red background won't work well.

This is it here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, some detailed feedback:

The Red on Green doesn't look that visually appealing. Compare that to the Samurai card which is nicer aesthetically. If you do keep the backgrounds as the variance, I agree that the Red on Red will look bad.

This is a DARK game, correct? A bright red hover bike with white-suited rider seems flashy and doesn't give me that "dark" impression. I'm thinking BLACK/GRAY for the bike and a suit with color variance based on the faction. As a start, have the rider's suit match the suit of the samurai.

I'd avoid a black outline on each component.

Add highlights and shadows from a simulated light source. Use the stock photo for guidance.

Consider 'zooming in' to the rider and don't worry about showing the entire bike (complete with back stabilizer wing, etc.). This will allow more detail and a better look at the emblems / suit colors (see below).

The faction name on the bike seems misaligned with the bike itself. The bike appears to be at a slight angle / 3d view, like the stock photo. Any writing / logos should follow the same angle.

This is the tough one- and can apply to all cards. These are different factions, so why do all of the troops dress and look the same? Why vary just the background color- and not the color of the troops or the artwork itself? If it were me, I'd keep the background the same and vary the suits and emblems of the units as a minimum. I'd then consider different art for each unit of each faction- i.e. different looks for all hover bikers- maybe even different bikes. So you'd have a "Green" samurai that looks completely different from a "Red" samurai- complete with differing emblems/patches and poses.

Finally, are there any weapons on that hover bike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick "google images" search for "hoverbike" and found some very cool futuristic bikes out there on the web. Here is one neat post in particular:

http://www.bablotech.com/2008/11/26/some-amazing-futuristic-...

Rather than use a current-day police bike as the source...

I recommend doing a search as I did above for some more ideas on the hoverbike concept. If you find something you like that's drawn or modeled by an artist- contact the site admin and ask permission to use it in your game in exchange for some artwork credit. As I've mentioned in some other posts- there are a ton of artists out there who would be thrilled to have their work appear in a sci-fi game (for more exposure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will get to work on the event and tactics cards which will be a bit easier and come back to this one later. Give some time to think about it.

BTW I am going to add 2 more units: Executives and Gunforts. Both are immobile, the Executive locks down a 3 by 3 grid of control markers where placed and the Gunfort is a strong combat unit. I will be shopping an image of a minigun emplacement.

edit: this is the Hover Biker pre-Gimp class and I still can improve it!:

Anyhow, much work to do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
I would suggest using a palette away from red/green color combos. 10% of gamers are color blind in that regard.

simpson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:

edit: this is the Hover Biker pre-Gimp class and I still can improve it!:

Anyhow, much work to do!

Del, you're doing just fine. Keep at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.