Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Accursed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The Accursed (it's "Der Verfluchte" in german - I don't know the exact name in english) is a villager that becomes a werewolf if he is killed at night.
What's the intended use of this charakter? I can see the temptation of having a villager who knows he may become a werewolf or not. What strikes me is his description in the rules: The moderator calles him every night after the wolves and shows him if he is a werewolf now or not. He continues doing so every night even after the Accursed has become a wolf anyway. So that the village does not know whether the Accursed has become a werewolf. However if he was eaten the village can see next morning that nowbody was killed and knows there is one more wolf. I guess this is not intended. So this charakter only works in connection with others like the Witch and a moderator not saying what exactly happened at night like described here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/401786
Right?
Edited for clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
The English name is "Cursed."

Not saying if the player has "turned" or not is useful when there are other roles that might change the number of wolf kills at night (Witch/Magician, Wolf Cub, etc.). If none of those roles are present, then it's going to be very obvious to everyone what happened the previous night. As always, the moderator can use his discretion to notify the village of the events of the previous night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Re: The Cursed
Thx for the quick response, Ted. We will try it in connection with other roles so that it's not obvious. Am I right that this was your intention for this role or do you simply have no preference here?

toulouse wrote:
Not saying if the player has "turned" or not is useful when there are other roles that might change the number of wolf kills at night (Witch/Magician, Wolf Cub, etc.).

I unterstand that roles like Witch or Strong Guy help to avoid the issue.
I don't understand however why you mention the Wolf Cub (it's the young wolf, right?) in this context as the Cursed should not increase the number of wolf kills at night, i. e. he kills with the wolves not separately?!

Btw: This is an outstanding edition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
If the wolf cub is killed, the wolves get two kills the following night. If one of those is the Cursed, the villagers will not know (1) that the wolf cub was killed and (2) that the cursed has turned. This assumes that specific roles are not revealed when players are killed each day/night.

I like these combinations of roles because it provides interesting topics of conversation for the village, and sometimes those conversations can highlight werewolf behavior (or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Re: The Cursed
Ah, I see. As we come from Miller's Hollow we've always played with roles revealed after death. I havn't read the Ultimate Rules regarding this aspect yet. I suppose Ultimate edition allows both versions of the rule? As I don't have the rulebook at hand: Are there specific charakters/suggestions for a revealing or non revealing setup?
Would be interesting to get some sources/hints on the history of the revealing/non revealing role ideas in Mafia/Werewolf. It seems to me that revealing was the original rule and later versions introduced the nonrevealing variant, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.