Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Poor Sister Mary, without her blessing she's pretty sad.

We tried a new variant this past weekend -- she has to roll two failures to lose her blessing. When you roll the first 1, put a clue token on the card to mark it. The next time you roll a 1, it's bye-bye blessing.

We thought it worked pretty well in addition to being thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Without her blessing there's not much she can do. I really like her as a character though.

How about this:

If you roll a 1 when rolling for her blessing, roll another die. If both rolls are 1 the blessing is lost. Too hard to lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Agreed. Without her blessing there's not much she can do. I really like her as a character though.

How about this:

If you roll a 1 when rolling for her blessing, roll another die. If both rolls are 1 the blessing is lost. Too hard to lose?

Roll two "1s" in a row? I've seen it happen, but odds are there'd be little risk of losing it. I think that's a bit overpowered.

How about this. Put 3 clue tokens on her bless. Remove one each time she fails the upkeep roll. If there are no more tokens, then bless goes away. At the start of the AO battle, all tokens are removed from the bless card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this: The blessing is permanent. Sister Mary can never lose it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsugo wrote:

How about this. Put 3 clue tokens on her bless. Remove one each time she fails the upkeep roll. If there are no more tokens, then bless goes away. At the start of the AO battle, all tokens are removed from the bless card.

Simple, easy, I like it. We'll try it next time she comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still doesn't solve the issue of what to do with her at the start of the game. She has no clues, no money, and no practical weapons.

Our rule is to start her with 3 clues. It patches up the overestimates in the worth of a Blessing as starting equipment, and explains the journal in her backstory. And—it gives her something to do (gather clues)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were thinking of houseruling that Sister Mary never has to roll for her blessing, but still can lose the blessing through Encounter effects as normal.

I like the idea of giving her a few bonus clues to start with too. The Sister is one of my girlfriend's favorite character, so she sees action quite a bit when the game hits the table. First round for most characters tends to be meeting up at the General Store to buy the good Sister a weapon. Some of our proudest moments involved Sister Mary with a Flamethrower or a Shotgun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Tsugo wrote:

That sounds like exactly what we did, only with three failures instead of two.

Oh, and she lost her blessing going in to the final battle. Ouch!

blark wrote:
Some of our proudest moments involved Sister Mary with a Flamethrower or a Shotgun.

Now I want to play Sister Mary. The problem is I'll have to get my wife to NOT use her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Our rule is to start her with 3 clues. It patches up the overestimates in the worth of a Blessing as starting equipment, and explains the journal in her backstory. And—it gives her something to do (gather clues)!

The Variant for her in the Black Goat of the Woods expansion gives her 3 clue tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Quote:

The Variant for her in the Black Goat of the Woods expansion gives her 3 clue tokens

It isn't a variant (difficulty card) for her per se, it merely starts all investigators Blessed, and since there is no double-Blessed, Mary gets 3 Clues instead. Same with the Rex Murphy mention in the difficulty where everyone starts Cursed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Err!, okay, I just thought that anything that you didn't have to include could be classed as a variant. As you don't need to use the difficulty cards to play the game then I class them as a variant to the main rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Leinbach
msg tools
or discard a Clue token to re-roll you blessing check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was thinking of letting her have three clue tokens but allow them to be discarded to re-roll a blessing check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd take vanilla Sister Mary without her Blessing over at least Vincent Lee, Dexter Drake, Amanda Sharpe and Jim Culver (my nefarious four). In fact, there was that one game where I forgot to give Mary the Blessing during set-up blush . She still rocked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Houserule from Kevin Wilson, developer from Arkham:

Quote:
I've been thinking about Sister Mary (the Nun) lately, in response to the general dissatisfaction with her abilities. What if she could pay 1 clue token to re-roll her Blessing upkeep roll? That way she could still lose it (out of clues, cursed, etc.) but she has a much greater chance of holding onto the blessing for a significant portion of the game. Personally, I've always liked her, but after many, many games, I guess I have to say that she could use a boost.

Source: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play that she can be blessed for free at the Church. Seems in character that she should pop in now and again :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play that she just doesn't roll for her blessing. She can still lose it by being Cursed, but if she should acquire another blessing, she doesn't roll for that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.